Anyone seen that Family Guy star wars thing?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I can't post the youtube link at work, but this should give you an idea if you don't know what it is.I downloaded it last night and i can't wait to watch it.

Comments

• Yeah, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I still thought it was pretty great.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Should be dope. Their other feature length was bloody funny. the Seth dude is a twisted fucker. You seen Robot Chicken? Another one of his creations.

I just wonder how they got approval/permision, as i thought Lucas was hardcore about his intellectual property.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I just wonder how they got approval/permision, as i thought Lucas was hardcore about his intellectual property.

Lucas was on board with this thing--they even ran all the jokes by him and whatnot.

Oh, and Robot Chicken is Seth Green's thing, not Seth McFarlane's.

Word so Lucas does have a sense of humour after all. good on him. thats a mad score for them.

Seth Green - isnt he involved in Family Guy/American Dad though. He does the voices doesnt he?

But yeah its Macfarlane who writes the shit. got my Seths confused. Which one is Dr Evils son?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Seth McFarlane > Seth Green

Loko... what the hell's happening this weekend? Have you talked to the Chaos Math boys?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Seth Green - isnt he involved in Family Guy/American Dad though. He does the voices doesnt he?

I was not aware of Seth Green having anything to do with Family Guy.

Loko... what the hell's happening this weekend? Have you talked to the Chaos Math boys?

Yeah just spoke with Banga, Hes still trying to get thru to Jodes. We having a cypher and shit on saturday, but ill probably head up there on Sunday arvo... if your down for that....

Im sure Seth Green does voices for FG/AD...as well as Jacky ( the hot brunette from That 70s Show) she does voices too......

Hey can you burn us a copy of the Star Wars parody? Ill give you one of my Anne Murray PYHITH records!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Word so Lucas does have a sense of humour after all. good on him. thats a mad score for them.

But yeah its Macfarlane who writes the shit. got my Seths confused. Which one is Dr Evils son?

Yes Lucas has a sense of humor. The dvd of this features and interview with Lucas and Seth MacFarlane which is pretty cool. Overall i dug this - Family Guy =

• The dvd of this features and interview with Lucas and Seth MacFarlane which is pretty cool. Overall i dug this - Family Guy =

yes! i liked it when lucas said he dvrs all the family guy episodes but has never bought any of the dvds and macfarlane gives him a hard time.

"i bought all the star wars dvds."

the best is meg's part in the episode.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I like McFarlane as much as the next guy but Green was in Buffy. Automatic win.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

My gf loves Buffy. I just don't get it. It feels so... silly to me. So much so that I have to leave the room while it's on.

Even more so than, say, low-grade reality tv, w/ Buffy I feel like brain cells are being sucked out thru my tear ducts, deep fried, and then reinserted into my noggin with a blunt-tipped knitting needle.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I'm the first to admit I'm generally close-minded (re-reading my post, hostile might be a better description) to "fantasy"-R material.

Also seems like a lot of people haaate on Family Guy, which I don't get. Sure, it's a tiny guy perched atop the shoulders of the Simpsons. So what? Other than, say Arrested Development and 30 Rock, I can't think of another recent network comedy that can make me laugh as often in 23 minutes.

• My gf loves Buffy. I just don't get it.

you've got to watch the post-buffy-hooking-up-with-angel episodes. i think that's when it got really interesting.

re: family guy star wars
    they're going to do empire and jedi too!

My gf loves Buffy. I just don't get it. It feels so... silly to me. So much so that I have to leave the room while it's on.

Even more so than, say, low-grade reality tv, w/ Buffy I feel like brain cells are being sucked out thru my tear ducts, deep fried, and then reinserted into my noggin with a blunt-tipped knitting needle.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I'm the first to admit I'm generally close-minded (re-reading my post, hostile might be a better description) to "fantasy"-R material.

Also seems like a lot of people haaate on Family Guy, which I don't get. Sure, it's a tiny guy perched atop the shoulders of the Simpsons. So what? Other than, say Arrested Development and 30 Rock, I can't think of another recent network comedy that can make me laugh as often in 23 minutes.

I like Family Guy but South Park's slam on it was pretty genius about how formulaic FG tends to be in terms of its mix of funny - but rather incongruous jokes. Of course, SP clowning another show for being formulaic is dangerously ironic.

As for Buffy - great series and far smarter than you're giving it credit for. But I'm not about to soap box about it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Yeah, one of my exes was really into it too. I don't get it either, but I do know a bunch of folks in their early 30s that rode hard for it when it was on.

I like Family Guy but South Park's slam on it was pretty genius about how formulaic FG tends to be in terms of its mix of funny - but rather incongruous jokes.

Yeah, that's pretty much the crux of it. Family Guy has some funny stuff, but you'll also spend a lot of time thinking, "Yes, I remember the '80s as well...now are you going to make some sort of joke?"

When Family Guy goes off on these pointless diversions, all I can think of is that South Park: "You think that's bad? Remember the time I got the salmon helmet from Mohammed while wearing a toga?"

I wonder how many young viewers even "got" this Star Wars ep. Less than half my students have ever seen the original SW.

The actual EP is pretty good in terms of its jokes though - the Dr. Who bit was pretty genius.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Family Guy is that shit.

• Just watched this the other night and loved it. So many references to the little nuances in Star Wars like Aunt Beru's blue milk and the little remote control truck that Chewbacca roars at in the Death Star.

The Greedo scene and Han Solo radio talk show scene were great.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Does anyone know what the title, "Blue Harvest", means?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Wasn't Blue Harvest a working title/code name for Star Wars as it was being developed? Either the first one or one of the first three. My SW trivia game is not that on point, so I need confirmation.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

Wasn't Blue Harvest a working title/code name for Star Wars as it was being developed? Either the first one or one of the first three. My SW trivia game is not that on point, so I need confirmation.

almost...it was the front for the making of Return of the Jedi.

Just watched this the other night and loved it. So many references to the little nuances in Star Wars like Aunt Beru's blue milk and the little remote control truck that Chewbacca roars at in the Death Star.

The muzak version of the Imperial March when they're in the elevator in the Death Star was brilliant.

The Dirty Dancing re-enactment and the bits with the couch? That's why Jebus invented the fast-forward button.

Yeah, one of my exes was really into it too. I don't get it either, but I do know a bunch of folks in their early 30s that rode hard for it when it was on.

for sure. plenty of smart people love it, so it must be a taste thing. I would understand it better if fans said "it's a trashy show, but it's my kind of trash" because certainly I enjoy some trash that's far from universal... but the attitude seems to be more "it's a highly intelligent show and you're missing out" which I just don't see. oh well.

Just watched this the other night and loved it. So many references to the little nuances in Star Wars like Aunt Beru's blue milk and the little remote control truck that Chewbacca roars at in the Death Star.

The muzak version of the Imperial March when they're in the elevator in the Death Star was brilliant.

The Dirty Dancing re-enactment and the bits with the couch? That's why Jebus invented the fast-forward button.

See - it's exactly those kinds of problem with FG that always surprise me. With some jokes, they just overplay it to death, long past the "funny" expiration date and more so than with The Simpsons - which falls into this trap at times too - it just strikes me as surprisingly uneven. Did all the writers REALLY think the sofa bit was that funny? To do it twice even?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ... and just to show the other side of the coin, I thought
    the couch bit was hilarious and that things like the muzak
    were really obvious and somewhat tepid.

don't get it either, but I do know a bunch of folks in their early 30s that rode hard for it when it was on.

for sure. plenty of smart people love it, so it must be a taste thing. I would understand it better if fans said "it's a trashy show, but it's my kind of trash" because certainly I enjoy some trash that's far from universal... but the attitude seems to be more "it's a highly intelligent show and you're missing out" which I just don't see. oh well.
    I think part of it is contextual for WHEN "Buffy" first appeared. It's not the kind of show that you can start watching now and think, "wow, this is really fresh and original," mostly because post-Buffy, other shows have since tried to work in similar kinds of writing and wit. For example "Juno" = INCREDIBLY post-Buffy. You'd think Diablo Cody was grifting notes off of Josh Whedon.

But if you think about "Buffy" in the context of the late '90s, the show's characters and writing had few - if any - parallels on network television. It's not deep in the way, "The Wire" is deep or as rich, dark and dense as "The Sopranos" but it's much more than a show about a blond chick who hunts vampires with her Scooby Crew. Like many men, I was turned onto the show via a girlfriend and it's easy to see how "Buffy" was a remarkably different kind of female role model and heroine, especially given the (continued) dearth of those kinds of characters in mainstream popular culture.

So yeah, viva Buffy!

Here's the crazy shit: The Paley Center for Television here in Los Angeles is sponsoring a Buffy reunion panel feat. all the major actors and crew and not only did tickets for that sell out quick-fast but a pair of tickets for that are currently on eBay.

CHECK IT OUT. http://cgi.ebay.com/BUFFY-THE-VAMPIRE-SL...1QQcmdZViewItem

You'd think it was Hannah Montana.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought the couch bit was hilarious

don't get it either, but I do know a bunch of folks in their early 30s that rode hard for it when it was on.

I think part of it is contextual for WHEN "Buffy" first appeared. It's not the kind of show that you can start watching now and think, "wow, this is really fresh and original," mostly because post-Buffy, other shows have since tried to work in similar kinds of writing and wit. For example "Juno" = INCREDIBLY post-Buffy. You'd think Diablo Cody was grifting notes off of Josh Whedon.

But if you think about "Buffy" in the context of the late '90s, the show's characters and writing had few - if any - parallels on network television. It's not deep in the way, "The Wire" is deep or as rich, dark and dense as "The Sopranos" but it's much more than a show about a blond chick who hunts vampires with her Scooby Crew. Like many men, I was turned onto the show via a girlfriend and it's easy to see how "Buffy" was a remarkably different kind of female role model and heroine, especially given the (continued) dearth of those kinds of characters in mainstream popular culture.

The Juno comparison is interesting because Juno drove me wild with hatred (vs. Buffy just kinda annoying me). maybe there's a certain kind of "cute" and "clever" and "spunky" that both are mining that just doesn't sit well with me. Dunno where this originated, but someone posted it on another board, and it gets at my feelings for Juno...

------------ Eg-Frickin'-zactly