the fuck? school shooting related

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Do you think media coverage encourages these types of events? Do you think it actually inspires people?

It probably does, but i think the glorification of violence and the cultural acceptance of firearms has more to do with it.

I was thinking that part has to do with the fact that the ensuing media circus provides some sort of notoriety or legacy, however fucked up. If a kid is angry and depressed he can kill himself in his room and be written up in an obit in his local paper. Or he can lash out at bunch of people in public, kill himself, and be remembered as the NIU killer or something. In this media age we live in, revenge + suicide = notoriety is probably more appealing to a disturbed youth than just plain old suicide.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Do you think media coverage encourages these types of events? Do you think it actually inspires people?

It probably does, but i think the glorification of violence and the cultural acceptance of firearms has more to do with it.

I was thinking that part has to do with the fact that the ensuing media circus provides some sort of notoriety or legacy, however fucked up. If a kid is angry and depressed he can kill himself in his room and be written up in an obit in his local paper. Or he can lash out at bunch of people in public, kill himself, and be remembered as the NIU killer or something. In this media age we live in, revenge + suicide = notoriety is probably more appealing to a disturbed youth than just plain old suicide.

Sure - but I think we have to remember - gun violence is very much an American cultural phenomenon. So while "notoriety" might be what's being sought (and it's hard to know if this is even a motive in certain cases), the FORM such notoriety takes is very much influenced by other things around us.

Part of the problem is that each of these incidents basically feeds into the perception that "rampage shooting = the main way to go out" and so, sure, future killers might be acting out some copycat shit on some level, in addition to what ever else has bent their moral compass. But the pervasiveness of gun culture - not to mention gun availability, whether legal or not - is a massive part of that package as well.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Sure - but I think we have to remember - gun violence is very much an American cultural phenomenon. So while "notoriety" might be what's being sought (and it's hard to know if this is even a motive in certain cases), the FORM such notoriety takes is very much influenced by other things around us.

Part of the problem is that each of these incidents basically feeds into the perception that "rampage shooting = the main way to go out" and so, sure, future killers might be acting out some copycat shit on some level, in addition to what ever else has bent their moral compass. But the pervasiveness of gun culture - not to mention gun availability, whether legal or not - is a massive part of that package as well.

I think part of the mindset is looking for others to blame their problems on...lack of personal accountability.....you people MADE me do this type ish.

• the conspiracy theory of school shootings is too far out to believe...martial law?

Well, the 2 school shootings in Memphis last week didnt even persuade the memphis City Schools to increase police prescence nor increase the times it uses metal detectors...they said their use was at the proper amount currently. If it was a conspiracy to enable martial law, wouldnt they jumped at the chance to throw more cops and more metal detectors and more invasisons into the students privacy? And for the record the reasons for the 2 Memphis school shootings? One was from an argument over lyrics, and the other was some beef between two dudes, in fact after the one kid shot the other, the shooter handed the gun to a teacher and said "now shit is over"...

I think part of the mindset is looking for others to blame their problems on...lack of personal accountability.....you people MADE me do this type ish.

See: Seung Cho.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

oh, no doubt. I was in no way trying to downplay the role of firearms in the whole thing. If anything, guns ramp up the notoriety factor because it means there's violence against other people. Dude could have stood atop the NIU clock tower and said "hey look at me, I'm tortured and angry and it ends now" and jumped off to his doom. He'd have been on the news, but for like a minute. Since it's easy to get guns, now it's possible to stage this wanna-be Scarface go-out-blasting bullshit that will be plastered across the news for days and days.

I don't think that the media shouldn't report stuff like this, but when one event gets so much press, it can't help but prove that doing this can "get results" and spawn imitators.

Wow....Nikki Giovanni thought he was nuts and he claimed to have a super model girlfriend who live in outer space and called him "Spanky".

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Wow....Nikki Giovanni thought he was nuts and he claimed to have a super model girlfriend who live in outer space and called him "Spanky".

Manchurian Candidate Revealed

Manchurian Candidate Revealed

In N+1, Wesley Yang - writing about Seung Cho - noted that Giovanni found Cho's writings to be "disturbing" and he raised how, if you went back to Giovanni's poems of the 1970s, one could reach the same conclusion. He wasn't suggesting that Cho was misunderstood, only that, in hindsight, it's easy to interpret something as perturbing if you choose to see a rant about death and destruction as a personal statement rather than as part of an identity politics movement.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    the conspiracy theory of school shootings is too far out to believe...martial law?

Other possibilities for motivation include...

1. Distraction from other current events.

2. Leading people into not only accepting but welcoming further gun control.

3. Leading people into even more harshly trying kids as adults for their crimes.

4. Some sort of discrediting of the idea that you should send your kids to school.

5. Basic shock-and-awe tactic.

6. Ritual killing.

etc.

• lack of personal accountability.....

Rock nails it. Again.

This is the reason for SO much bullshit.

Personal accountability is something I don't see a lot of anymore and its sickening.

the conspiracy theory of school shootings is too far out to believe...martial law?

3. Leading people into even more harshly trying kids as adults for their crimes.

4. Some sort of discrediting of the idea that you should send your kids to school.

6. Ritual killing.

etc.

Are you sure it's not the work of the Devil as written in the scriptures??

You're clueless.

6. Ritual killing.

etc.

You're clueless.

• the conspiracy theory of school shootings is too far out to believe...martial law?

6. Ritual killing.

etc.

You're clueless.

I fear that the problem is not a lack of clues but an excess thereof....

Yaaaaaaaaaayy.........KABBALAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Rock...throw the feather harder and it will surely cause more damage.

If not, just keep throwing it again and again and again and again and again...

• "Conspiracy theories are popular because no matter what they posit, they are all actually comforting, because they all are models of radical simplicity. I think they appeal to the infantile part of us that likes to know what's going on.
    ...People want to believe a simple version, a radically simplified, actually imbecilic version of complex and largely incomprehensible reality."

-William Gibson

b/w

7 Reasons The 21st Century Is Making You Miserable

"Conspiracy theories are popular because no matter what they posit, they are all actually comforting, because they all are models of radical simplicity. I think they appeal to the infantile part of us that likes to know what's going on.
    ...People want to believe a simple version, a radically simplified, actually imbecilic version of complex and largely incomprehensible reality."

Comforting???

Simplified???

You realize that anyone who actually uses the term "conspiracy theory" does so as a way to exert a self-manufactured air of superiority.

Fools don't have a clue either, but their lack of a definitve answer is categorically somehow better than someone else's.

Yes, it's all "incomprehensible" which I will now hide behind as a way to criticize anyone who ever tries to find reason in anything.

Great work, guys.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    The first place you guys look to blame is the media? Did you forget we are at war?

Gary Webb (RIP)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    possibilities for motivation include...

6. Ritual killing.

etc.

Fools don't have a clue

Do you put any idea into the motivation maybe not being so grandiose? Perhaps it was just a kid with his own agenda, and not a government trained time bomb set up to discredit the idea of sending your child to school?

By the way my dude Brad died a few weeks back, it was all over the news cause he was a child star back in the 90's. They said it was a heroin overdose. My friends and I didn't want to believe it because we had seen him trying to clean up his life. Then the autopsy came back and it turned out, sadly to be an overdose.

Should I believe this? Perhaps the gov't set him up to help stop parents from trying to get their kids to star in film with Ian McKellen.

Your thoughts Harvey?

Do you put any idea into the motivation maybe not being so grandiose? Perhaps it was just a kid with his own agenda, and not a government trained time bomb set up to discredit the idea of sending your child to school?

It sounds like you're one of "them" trying to put us off the real reason.

• Do you put any idea into the motivation maybe not being so grandiose? Perhaps it was just a kid with his own agenda, and not a government trained time bomb set up to discredit the idea of sending your child to school?

Interesting how these things feed themselves...

Saying. It's like what you can't see is proof that it's actually there.

Kids don't just up and grow the balls to execute multiple people with shots to the head. I don't know if you have done any hunting but when you shoot a deer for instance there is a dark rush of adrenaline that comes over you at the time of the kill...and that's shooting a mere varmit from 60 yards away. Imagine the nervousness, the sick feeling in your gut, the shakes, etc. that one would get from shooting another at point blank range. Again, kids simply aren't that naturally cold blooded to pull that off multiple times as if they were a heartless killing machine. That type of callousness takes medication, training, and manipulation.

And with the frequency that these school shootings occur...c'mon now.

And with the way the shooter almost always offs himself...c'mon now.

But what you really need to do to allow yourself to entertain this line of thinking is...study up on Columbine. The feds were on the scene before the event started. Feds were firing shots into that school as the event was happening. Also, the shooters were known pre-event to visit military doctors. Add up all the shady details that the estblishment news doesn't cover, and Columbine clearly wasn't just 2 kids pissed that they weren't popular.

By the way my dude Brad died a few weeks back, it was all over the news cause he was a child star back in the 90's. They said it was a heroin overdose. My friends and I didn't want to believe it because we had seen him trying to clean up his life. Then the autopsy came back and it turned out, sadly to be an overdose.

Should I believe this? Perhaps the gov't set him up to help stop parents from trying to get their kids to star in film with Ian McKellen.

Your thoughts Harvey?

First off, your sarcasm is kinda pathetic. But I'll answer your question anyway. I don't know your friend. But as a comparison, I don't believe the coroner's findings/implications in the Pimp C case. I mean, was there anything shady about the circumstances of your friend's demise? There are a bunch of shady details in the Pimp C case. It's not like everything non-shady gets the go-beyond-the-official-story treatment, it takes a fishy smell to get people up before the crack of dawn to go fishing.

Says a guy who lives in perpetual Disneyland.

I've ridden Ivory Tower Mountain before too...it's overrated.

• Kids don't just up and grow the balls to execute multiple people with shots to the head.

You're right. They buy them at gun shows.[/b]

Says a guy who lives in perpetual Disneyland.

I've ridden Ivory Tower Mountain before too...it's overrated.

That's funny considering the level of imaginative fantasy being espoused in this thread.

Spacey Mountain vs. Ivory Tower Mountain?

Kids don't just up and grow the balls to execute multiple people with shots to the head.

You're right. They buy them at gun shows.[/b]

Also to note: shooter was in the military for a year. Which, I suppose, actually might enhance the Manchurian Candidate theory.

Bilderberg Group???A well-known informal, international, annual meeting of influential people that some critics allege have a sinister purpose. Its name is that of the hotel in the Netherlands where the group first met in 1954.
    Council on Foreign Relations???Conspiracy theories surrounding the membership of this foreign policy think tank.

Elders of Zion???A supposed conspiratorial group bent on Jewish global domination, as portrayed by the forged document, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
    Freemasons.

Global warming Many writers have claimed that the theory of human-caused global warming is a deliberate fraud, perpetrated for financial or ideological reasons
    New World Order

The Gemstone File???Details a wide ranging conspiracy involving Aristotle Onassis, the CIA, FBI, and the Mafia in addition to John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Ted Kennedy, Richard Nixon, the Washington Post, San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto, Howard Hughes, Martin Luther King Jr., and the Watergate conspirators.

The Illuminati???Thought of as a secret group attempting to control the world.
    Priory of Sion???Various different theories.

Reptilian humanoids???According to David Icke, a group of reptilian humanoids called the Babylonian Brotherhood control a secret world government. Icke has accused many prominent politicians and celebrities of being such creatures, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, and Kris Kristofferson.

SARS conspiracy theory???Suggests that the SARS virus could be developed artificially.

Trilateral Commission???Theories concerning the motives of this group.

United Nations???Theories regarding the UN and its various Secretaries General.

Vril Society Conspiracy which suggests that a secret form of energy, called Vril is used and controlled by a secret, subteranean society of matriarchal, socialist utopian superior beings.[1]

Lusitania & Pearl Harbor ??? According to some theories these incidents were deliberately inflicted in order to draw the United States into WWI and WWII.

AIDS conspiracy theories???Some people believe that the CIA created the AIDS epidemic and deliberately administered it to blacks, and homosexuals through tainted hepatitis vaccinations in the 1970s. Another theory posits that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, was invented by either white scientists in the World Health Organization (WHO), or by "The Jews", as a way to kill African Americans and destroy the black race. This latter view is heard most often among groups such as the New Black Panther Party and Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam. In Africa, similarly, some African theorists have argued the virus was invented by the white western powers to cripple the African continent and people. Still more theorists claim that HIV does not exist, does not cause AIDS, or that persons who test HIV positive can take certain nutritional supplements (or other forms of alternative medicine) and eventually test HIV negative. See AIDS Reconsideration for more information on the topic.

Apollo moon landing hoax accusations-Proponents of this theory claim that some or all of the Apollo moon landings were "staged" in a Hollywood movie or other studio either because they never happened or to conceal some aspect of the truth of the circumstances of the actual landing.

Area 51???Various theories surround the activity of this secretive military base, including the theory that it contains hidden alien spacecrafts and/or bodies.

Assassination???Conspiracy theories of varying popularity surround the deaths, disappearances, assassination attempts and attacks on, several prominent figures including:
    Jesus
    Philip IV of France, 1314
    Edward V, 1483?
    Zachary Taylor, 1850
    Abraham Lincoln, 1865
    Huey Long, 1935
    Adolf Hitler, 1945
    Mahatma Gandhi, 1948
    James Forrestal, 1949
    Marilyn Monroe, 1962
    John F. Kennedy, 1963
    John F. Kennedy Jr., 1999
    Malcolm X, 1965
    Brian Epstein, 1967
    Harold Holt, 1967
    James P. Brady, 1967
    Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968
    Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
    Brian Jones, 1969
    Jimi Hendrix, 1970
    Janis Joplin, 1970
    Jim Morrison, 1971
    J. Edgar Hoover, 1972
    George Wallace, 1972
    Gerald Ford, 1975
    Jimmy Hoffa, 1975
    Bob Marley, 1978
    Keith Moon, 1978
    Pope John Paul I, 1978
    John Bonham, 1980
    John Lennon, 1980
    Ronald Reagan, 1981
    Huey P. Newton, 1989
    Osho, 1990
    Danny Casolaro, 1991
    Vincent Foster, 1993
    Kurt Cobain, 1994
    George H. W. Bush, 1994
    Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, 1994
    Yitzhak Rabin, 1995
    Ron Brown, 1996
    Tupac Shakur, 1996
    Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi al-Fayed, 1997
    Gary Webb, 2004
    Anna Politkovskaya, 2006
    Alexander Litvinenko, 2006
    Black helicopters.
    Cattle mutilation.

Denver International Airport???Believed by many conspiracy theorists to be the Western headquarters of the New World Order, and a massive underground base and city is believed to exist underneath the airport. Reasons for this include: the airport is unusually large (larger than some major cities), is somewhat distant from the Denver, Colorado city center, the set of bizarre murals (some of which have been painted over) depicting burning cities, gas-mask wearing soldiers, girls in coffins, Masonic symbols and strange writing.

Elvis sightings.

High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program

Hurricane Katrina-several theories[2] are advanced.

Kentucky Fried Chicken???It is sometimes claimed that the franchise is owned by the Ku Klux Klan, and the chicken is laced with a drug that makes only black men impotent. In actuality KFC is owned by Yum! Brands, Inc., a publicly traded Fortune 500 company. Sometimes, Church's Fried Chicken is named instead of KFC.

Majestic 12.

Men in Black.

Montauk Project-A continuation of the Philadelphia Experiment, this time with the intent to create a weapon that would cause enemies to turn insane.

Oklahoma City bombing???Various conspiracy theories surround this event, asserting that Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols received assistance from other parties, such as neo-Nazi groups, an Iraqi intelligence agent, Al-Qaeda, or the U.S. government. Much of this speculation surrounds the identity of "John Doe 2", sometimes referred to as the "Third Man" or " Third Terrorist".[3]

Orange Revolution??? According to one conspiracy theory, the real Victor Yushchenko died several months before the event, and the revolution was led by an impostor (who is taller than the real one and has a disfigured face).

Philadelphia Experiment- An attempt to turn a ship invisible, that allegedly caused severe harm to onboard crewmembers.

Roswell UFO incident.

Satanic ritual abuse.

Skull & Bones???This Yale University fraternity is often thought of as being a secret society producing many financial and political leaders who have control or seek to gain control.

9/11 - Some believe that this was a staged event to launch American aggression and facilitate the rise of a global government. Others believe its just the Lavon Affair redux.

TWA Flight 800??? Some theorists allege that the explosion of this plane, officially ruled an accident for a short circuit in the fuel-tank wiring, was actually due to a missile attack. The most widely-repeated theory suggests that the plane was accidentally shot down during a Navy training exercise. Writer Peter Lance alleges that TWA 800 was blown up by a bomb intended to disrupt the trial of terrorist Ramzi Yousef.[4]

New Coke??? That The Coca-Cola Company intentionally changed to an inferior formula with the intent of driving up demand for their classic product, later reintroducing it for their financial gain.

Vast right-wing conspiracy theory.

Yeah I know.....

Notice how there isn't a "black" feather....uh huh....that's what they want you to think.