Funk Spectrum 4 on bbe?

2»

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    those photographs rule. I remember Ayres posted a link to the dude who does those photos.

dude can take some great pics for sure.. but leave off the text and you'd think they're like old Burlesque music compilations or some shit. Disconnected.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I've been waiting 8 years for David Paul to pay me.

You and every other artist on those labels, myself included.
    What's interesting is that his comp LPs are now in the Apple iTunes store, meaning people are buying our tracks.
    I for one only licensed my songs to DP so he doesn't own any part of them. Will I see money from this? Reason tells me no...

Smart of you. I have since learned better.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    what does that cover have anything to do with anything, much less funk?
    check out the shirt, though....

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

I gotta a track on here....still haven't seen any dough though. Gyeh.

• so who is the photographer anyway? record related or not they have a fantastic portfolio from what ive seen.

• The track listing was going to be:

1. Tra La La - The Great Deltas (Englewood)
    2. Funky So-&-So - Sugarman 3 (daptone/Desco?)
    3. Cold Heat - Lil Lavair & The Fabulous Jades (Lennan)
    4. Stick Man - The PCs (Fran)
    5. Nervous (7"Version) - The New Master Sounds (Kay-Dee)
    6. Trying to Make Ends Meet - Apaches (Big 8)
    7. Black Water Gold - Blur Rhythm Combo (Merry Disc)
    8. Getting Off On Your Love - Skying High (Captain Funk)
    9. Feel The Funk - Horizon (AAA)
    10. Skins Funk - Williams Skin (Mil-Smi)
    11. Herm - San Francisco TKO's (Ode) and (Golden Soul)
    12. Brothers & Sisters - The Soul Lifters (house of the fox)
    13. Mercy - gay poppa

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am happy this thread got 3 brits posting......

ah the days of the 50/50 split between brits and n.americans on this board.....

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the bins at amoeba in San Fran / Berklee were absolutely filled to the brim with those funk spectrums and zillions of other BBE joints when i was down there a few years ago... all at 6 bucks a pop.

just last week pete rock was in the local paper talking about how BBE had stolen his dat's and put out an album without his permission..

im kinda surprised these cats are still in bizniz if they've burned everybody so bad.

and more surpised by the fact that some of y'all still seem keen to buy more of their stuff once it does drop.

looks to me like they spend more money on the cover shoots (which while cool i agree have NOTHING to do with the records themselves) than actually paying for the tracks.

pathetic

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    the bins at amoeba in San Fran / Berklee were absolutely filled to the brim with those funk spectrums and zillions of other BBE joints when i was down there a few years ago... all at 6 bucks a pop.

just last week pete rock was in the local paper talking about how BBE had stolen his dat's and put out an album without his permission..

im kinda surprised these cats are still in bizniz if they've burned everybody so bad.

and more surpised by the fact that some of y'all still seem keen to buy more of their stuff once it does drop.

looks to me like they spend more money on the cover shoots (which while cool i agree have NOTHING to do with the records themselves) than actually paying for the tracks.

pathetic

I picked up the Pete Rock comp & found a totally different record inside! The labels were correct, but it was some lame techno/dance thing instead...I hope it'll become valuable, like some baseball error card or something

h

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Which track is it?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Which track is it?

The Hightower Set - Departure Lounge

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I picked up the Pete Rock comp & found a totally different record inside! The labels were correct, but it was some lame techno/dance thing instead...I hope it'll become valuable, like some baseball error card or something

when my buddy from portland was up in toronto last year we were diggin like total maniacs. .anyhow EVERY spot we came to had at least one copy of Lil Louis "The World" Lp.. which has the super dope "wargames" on it... anyhow we would joke about it but it always got thrown back in the stacks... anyhow finally on the last day my buddy is like "fuckit imma buy this lil louis" so he copped the record and off we go.

we're home and im like "dude hit me with that wargames jam NOW" so my buddy cranks up the system and slaps it on... out comes pure banjo / fiddle COUNTRY MUSIC

the whole record was some other country album.

• montymonty 420 Posts

damn, man, now i feel guilty for promoting this shit - all i've got is a promise i'll be paid - good luck to us all !!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Ohh!! I see, "Smoking smoking"

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Word! Good luck to y'all.
    Monti much respect due for your entire stuff.
    Peace.