Frankie Jackson's Soul Kitchen

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone got good/bad memories of this NY night from years gone by?Apart from the hard-hitting funk, I was struck by the projection slides of album covers which seemed pretty innovative/lame depending on the cover.And the beer/jetlag combination which messed me up good.Anyone here influenced or kick-started by that club night?

Comments

• this was covered here a few months back, but yeah I had many & great times at all five locations (the BBQ spot, SOB's, Wetlands, The spot on Canal & the spot on 8th St).

Anybody still have a Soul Kitchen shirt?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Anybody still have a Soul Kitchen shirt?

no, but I have circa 1990 set of SF finest shirts from Groove Merchant, Luv n Haight and On The One magazine in a very fetching blue

none of 'em fit any more, man I've let myself go

• I used to go every other Tuesday. I was a very good spot for sample spotting and drinking 40's which many people did there. This flyer I kept from a night I went in 1991.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    that's a nice momento

I need to start checking the 'bay for more memorabilia to festoon the record room

Anyone wanna relic me up on
    FJ Soul Kitchen
    Dingwalls in Camden
    Brighton Jazz Bop

even Excaliburs in Chicago

flyers, posters, whatever, it's all good probably

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

even Excaliburs in Chicago

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyone here influenced or kick-started by that club night?

Yes.

I wasnt even a "dj" when my homie approached me about doin a Funk/SoulHipHop night totally inspired by what we witnessed ay Soul Kitchen.

I played the Funk and he played the Hip Hop.

He and I w/ some other Uptown cats ran up in that spot and tore shit up on the dance floor. The following week the Voice ran a review on how the "Homeboys" got the party started up in that piece.

I wasnt a regular, but shit was a breath of fresh air after going to many Ice-Grill parties in NYC at that time.