DISCUSS ALL TIME HEAVY-IST SISTER FUNK TUNES

2»

Comments

• Betty Harris - Mean Man

• Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - Nobody

Also file under: "songs so much better than their originals you forgot there was an original."

gotta disagree, I believe the first recorded version of this song was Larry Williams and Johnny Watson with Kaliediscope in '67 on Okeh...and I like this a lot more than the HJSC

let me add

Mary Lou "John, Youre Wrong" Cotillion

On a related note, I picked up a hammered copy of Irma Thomas "Hittin on Nothin" this weekend that I am currently applying TLC to get it play-outable...killer tune

• I never posted those pics here as far as I remember. I pulled them out of a photo album that I found at the flea. I may have left some pics behind but what are the odds that someone else would find them, buy them, scan them and then post them somewhere? I'm off today and the pics are at the shop but I can post them tomorrow.

I did that mix in July of 2006, so I had the pic at least as far back as that. I know I have/had one other pic from (I assume) that set with some folks sitting at a table. This is strange.

Someone (I can't remember for the life of me who) posted a scan of this pic on soulstrut about 2-3 years ago. I had copied it to my computer and was going to use it for a mixtape cover.

• I never posted those pics here as far as I remember. I pulled them out of a photo album that I found at the flea. I may have left some pics behind but what are the odds that someone else would find them, buy them, scan them and then post them somewhere? I'm off today and the pics are at the shop but I can post them tomorrow.

I did that mix in July of 2006, so I had the pic at least as far back as that. I know I have/had one other pic from (I assume) that set with some folks sitting at a table. This is strange.

Someone (I can't remember for the life of me who) posted a scan of this pic on soulstrut about 2-3 years ago. I had copied it to my computer and was going to use it for a mixtape cover.

I must have gotten them from Soulstrut then.

• On a related note, I picked up a hammered copy of Irma Thomas "Hittin on Nothin" this weekend that I am currently applying TLC to get it play-outable...killer tune

Yeah, like that track...have the lp, didn't realize there was a 45. Is it the same version?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Odia Coates - You Come and You Go (slowed down a bit)
    Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter

• On a related note, I picked up a hammered copy of Irma Thomas "Hittin on Nothin" this weekend that I am currently applying TLC to get it play-outable...killer tune

Yeah, like that track...have the lp, didn't realize there was a 45. Is it the same version?

think so, but I heard the LP version a long time ago so cant really remember...but the 45 is cool because it is catalog number is 666!

• Sylvanus - Tightrope

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - Nobody

Also file under: "songs so much better than their originals you forgot there was an original."

gotta disagree, I believe the first recorded version of this song was Larry Williams and Johnny Watson with Kaliediscope in '67 on Okeh...and I like this a lot more than the HJSC

Ah - I thought it was a Three Dog Night song. I stand corrected.

You got a clip of that Williams/Watson version?

• There's a version of Nobody by Kim Weston on MGM that's pretty cool as well. Not funk by any means but since we're talking about that song...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    There's a version of Nobody by Kim Weston on MGM that's pretty cool as well. Not funk by any means but since we're talking about that song...

I thought this was the first version, but I stand corrected.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Millie Jackson - Its All Over But The Fightin'

• Hodges, James, Smith & Crawford - Nobody

Ah - I thought it was a Three Dog Night song. I stand corrected.

You got a clip of that Williams/Watson version?
    not funk, but some far out soul

• man, Larry Williams and Johnny Watson really were a great duo...I have a few of those Okeh sides and they all rule.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Laura Logan - Turn Out the Lights

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    A few more that havnt been mentioned:
    • Dee Edwards - A Girl Can't Go By What She HearsIrene Reid - Dirty Old Man
    and this has gotta be at least a top 5 funk track of all time for me:
    • The Stovall Sisters - Hang On In There

• some of my choices:

Explosions feat Juanita Brooks - Garden of Four Trees (Gold Cup)
    Barbara and Gwen - Right On
    Myra Barnes (Vicki Anderson) - Message from the Soul Sisters

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Good Things" (or is it "Good THANGS"?) - Maxayn

And nobody mentioned Betty Davis???

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    dorothy black - miracle man

gloria williams - sister funk