The Grammys Poast

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    saying. The abused need to give it up to their abusers? Word?

Is that all Ike Turner has been reduced to?

Of course not. But why is Tina the one who has to carry that torch? There are other ways to honor Ike without making Tina do it. C'mon now.

I wouldn't expect Ronnie Spector to give props to Phil either.

Agreed, but then why do 'Proud Mary'?

Why not? It's as much Tina's song as it is anyone's. Did she give props to Fogerty? And if not, is that a problem?

Saying: IKE USED TO BEAT UP TINA. If she doesn't want to acknowledge his ass, I can't see why that's a problem under the circumstances.

End of story.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• saying. The abused need to give it up to their abusers? Word?

Of course not. But why is Tina the one who has to carry that torch? There are other ways to honor Ike without making Tina do it. C'mon now.

Why not? It's as much Tina's song as it is anyone's. Did she give props to Fogerty? And if not, is that a problem?

Saying: IKE USED TO BEAT UP TINA. If she doesn't want to acknowledge his ass, I can't see why that's a problem under the circumstances.

End of story.

Not.

It all reeks of "let's make believe Ike never existed". If we're going to start excluding musicians for moral failings (and God knows he had a lot), it's going to turn the Grammys into a 5-minute special.

Please.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It is a Tina Turner song, too! To do an Ike and Tina song is plenty of acknowledgment for him if you ask me. So she is supposed to either not do any Ike and Tina songs and deny she had a full career unless she is willing to acknowledge him or she is supposed to mention his name everytime she does one of their songs? There's nothing in-between?
    She doesn't owe anyone anything as far as this stuff goes - she has said what she's going to and folks need to respect that it is a private thing for her at this point. She did nothing wrong and I can't believe folks are looking at her for this.

As well, I think for her to mention him would open the floodgates. Why invite the next day Grammy coverage about her saying his name when headlines like 'Ike beats Tina to death" came out after he passed? She did the classy thing imo.

End of story.

Not.

It all reeks of "let's make believe Ike never existed". If we're going to start excluding musicians for moral failings (and God knows he had a lot), it's going to turn the Grammys into a 5-minute special.

Please.

Alot of it is politics. Some people wont attend award shows for many reasons.
    Im sure Tina was asked to do Pround Mary w/ certain stipulations that wont offend her.
    The rulemakers were obviously cool w/ omitting Ike from the deal.

Asking the Grammys to be historically correct or artistically consistant isnt reality.

Wait - folks think Tina got Ike removed from the tribute reel as part of the agreement to perform?

• Wait - folks think Tina got Ike removed from the tribute reel as part of the agreement to perform?

I didn't say that. It wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't heard anything along those lines.

Wait - folks think Tina got Ike removed from the tribute reel as part of the agreement to perform?

Im sure Tina wouldnt have participated if they were in any way incorporated into the same act.

• Wait - folks think Tina got Ike removed from the tribute reel as part of the agreement to perform?

I didn't read your post carefully enough. Ike wasn't[/b] excluded from the tribute reel.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    For Winehouse that was a pretty good performance, save the out of tune singing. Ouch.

I didn't read your post carefully enough. Ike wasn't[/b] excluded from the tribute reel.

Oh, I thought I read above that he was - I also did not read carefully!
    OK, then I REALLY don't see the issue.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Not.

Please.

That's not what I said. You're inventing a strawman here.

Look: if the Grammys wants to pay tribute to Ike - cool. That's proper.

Castigating Tina b/c she doesn't want to nod to the dude who used to beat her? Foul ball.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    can we go back to discussing Beyonce's thighs?

• I make a point not to watch that shit, but caught some youtube and recaps today.

First off, I like the wine-o-house, so good for her on all the wins...and, GREAT for the dap-kings. Kudos, gents. And, for the grammys (which are basically glorified paperweights) she is a GREAT pick.

Second, Kanye cutting off the shitheel producers was hard as fuck, and totally in line. Fuck them, and he handled that like a PRO. Not to mention that his performance of 'Mama,' was SERIOUS.

Third, Beyonce's thighs are hot, but as was said...SHE'S BEEN DOING that shit. I think my wife would leave me for Beyonce if she could. Girl can sing, dance, and look fly the whole time.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Rehab
    Amy Winehouse
    Mark Ronson, producer; Tom Elmhirst, Vaughan Merrick, Dom Morley, Mark Ronson & Gabriel Roth[/b], engineers/mixers
    Track from: Back To Black

PROPS TO BOSCO MANN!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Fat Smear

Fat Smear

Don't you mean Pat Smear?