Hey Otto!!! (UGK related)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
How's that pearly fresh copy of Ridin' Dirty treatin' ya?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

He has tooken it there.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

He has tooken it there.

Just to clarify, mine wasn't meant as an antagonizing post. Somehow, dude hadn't heard the album before and based on me pressing him a bit, he apparently went out and picked up a copy a week or so back. Now, I'm just curious to hear what kind of effect it's had on him.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Actually I checked out that Big Mike you posted up a little while back & really dug it.
    Same with all the old UGK albums, throughly enjoyed them as well...and this is coming from a 31 year old NYC-centric boom-bap golden age enthusiast.
    Thanks Harvey.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

He has tooken it there.

Just to clarify, mine wasn't meant as an antagonizing post. Somehow, dude hadn't heard the album before and based on me pressing him a bit, he apparently went out and picked up a copy a week or so back. Now, I'm just curious to hear what kind of effect it's had on him.

Yeah, I saw the posts. That first thread about something like bland loops over an 808 had me at a loss for words and you know how much I like hearing myself talk!!!

I'm curious what his opinion is after a careful listen.

• yeah i bought it a few weeks back now. i was waiting for this too... i thank for suggesting it to me and i'm hoping your not posting this so you can berate my taste before the highbrow (?) soulstrut populace...

now, i listened to this album in it's entirety multiple times and didn't skip through it, i listened to every song all the way through. i listened to it for a week straight and haven't listened for the last couple weeks. i thought last night that i should pull it out again.

i will say that my summary of pimp c's production was WAY off - though i admitted right away to having only heard a few tracks. there was only one song that i would throw in the "loop with some 808" category - "ridin dirty" i think is actually the song. and yes i realize there was some other instrumentation in there, but the foundation of the beat was a loop with some 808 drums. i think he's a good producer. some of the beats have a little bit of a dr dre (chronic) feel to them imo, but that also comes with the era it was released in. that one song that uses the fatback (backstrokin) sample is one i've been meaning to rip and play at the club - making mental note for tonight. so, for me, its okay, but what can i say? its just not the sound that gets me all pumped up. i love reggae, but not all reggae, i love rock music, but not all rock music, shit i even love country, but not all (by far) and its the same with rap/hip hop.

now, let me address this while i'm at it. i've been accused of not liking rap, which was a ridiculous statement. my ignorance of a lot of stuff from the 90s comes from the fact that i was creating rap music more than i was listening to it throughout that decade. also, i ran with a crew of elitists who poo-pooed a lot of music that i normally might have liked if not for their influence. when i had my walkman on, i was usually listening to my own beats. of course i checked out videos and what everyone else was pumpin, but the stuff i was buying was mostly premier related, ditc, muggs and cypress hill and so on. i didn't even accept jay-z for a looooong time because i only knew him from radio hits. the way i am constantly out at clubs now and getting so much work is opposite of me through the 90's. i spent 99% of my waking hours with a coffee, muffin and a bong hit sitting in front of that EPS from the time i got up or got home from work to the time i went to bed. usually i didn't even eat until 10:00 at night cause i was so wrapped up in making beat after beat. so now that i am playing in clubs i am trying to remember all that shit from the 90s that i wasn't feeling and finding that i'm liking it these days - most of it. some of it is still pure poo but alot of it i'm getting into.

so there ya go. if this turns into some king otto bashing session because i like what i like and doesn't match what whoever else likes, so be it. but i'm not taking part in any more bullshit conversations about my opinions on rap music with suckers who can't accept that not everyone feels the same way they do. that being said harvey, i respect you and your opinions on the music you love and i make an effort to understand and appreciate things the way others do. and sometimes i does, sometimes i doesn't. i'm kinda middle of the road on ridin dirty, but since i thought about listening to it again, maybe its a creeper for me - the way donuts was.

next time i'm in austin (or waterloo) we should light up a stick and sit back with some whiskey and argue about it.

easy
    big ott

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    any other response would have been BAN!

• any other response would have been BAN!

damn you read all that?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm eating lunch at my desk and i was actually kinda curious to hear what you thought of it

• i ran with a crew of elitists who poo-pooed a lot of music that i normally might have liked if not for their influence. when i had my walkman on, i was usually listening to my own beats. of course i checked out videos and what everyone else was pumpin, but the stuff i was buying was mostly premier related, ditc, muggs and cypress hill and so on.

easy
    big ott

Its funny because Bean has basically said the same thing to me bout Specs and those guys making him feel wack for liking certain shit back then. Yall were crazy. lol.

i ran with a crew of elitists who poo-pooed a lot of music that i normally might have liked if not for their influence. when i had my walkman on, i was usually listening to my own beats. of course i checked out videos and what everyone else was pumpin, but the stuff i was buying was mostly premier related, ditc, muggs and cypress hill and so on.

easy
    big ott

Its funny because Bean has basically said the same thing to me bout Specs and those guys making him feel wack for liking certain shit back then. Yall were crazy. lol.

The one time I ever went over to Bean's to hang out, he spent an hour or so making and reworking a beat. Once it was done, he and I looked at each other, grinned, and almost simultaneously said to each other..."that would be perfect for the Whoridas[/b]."

Otto, I'm really not out to berate your taste in rap. I'm really glad that you were willing to go buy a copy of the UGK album just to try out something new for yourself. It kinda boggles my mind a bit that it seems that the album didn't really win you over the way it does most people in fashion. For instance, you didn't even mention Diamonds & Wood which is typically a song that sends listeners into full on . But that's alright, I know you've been missing your usual Sea-town medicine, you being away from the Pacific Northwest and all. But yeah, if you're ever coming down to Austin, give me a heads-up. Any friend of Bean and Pro Mic is a friend of mine.

• i ran with a crew of elitists who poo-pooed a lot of music that i normally might have liked if not for their influence. when i had my walkman on, i was usually listening to my own beats. of course i checked out videos and what everyone else was pumpin, but the stuff i was buying was mostly premier related, ditc, muggs and cypress hill and so on.

easy
    big ott

The one time I ever went over to Bean's to hang out, he spent an hour or so making and reworking a beat. Once it was done, he and I looked at each other, grinned, and almost simultaneously said to each other..."that would be perfect for the Whoridas[/b]."

That must have been a long time ago. Bean is on some other shit these days. I got some old stuff Ott did that was filthy too. Shitty quality unfortunately though.

That must have been a long time ago. Bean is on some other shit these days.

Almost exactly 10 years ago.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

EROTIC BEATMAKING FICTION REVEALED