Budweiser Showcase: What's The Deal (RR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Is there a series of these from around the country??Are any of them desirable??Here's a one sided 7" from Houston circa '83"Hard Enough" by the Fabulous Friends

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Northern/Moder dudes flip over the right ones of these.
    Your belt is busted or your 45 speed is having issues there guy.
    Or a miscentered 45.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Your belt is busted or your 45 speed is having issues there guy.
    Or a miscentered 45.

I thought so too....but I think this thing was just fucked up while being mastered.

Everything else sounds fine??

• Seems like they were an offshoot of Starstream:

http://forbiddeneye.com/labels/starstream.html

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yeah. It's a good track if it wasn't miscentered. Look at the vinyl as it spins, should be easy to see.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Yeah. It's a good track if it wasn't miscentered. Look at the vinyl as it spins, should be easy to see.

Yep.....slightly off centered

• There is also a live concert series they do with people like chi-lites, sugarhill gang, gladys knight, war, bar-kays.. but i've found they are kind of ehh..otherwise there are lots of good ones IMO..here are a few to check for -

Roastin Bone - Syan Fu
    Ronnie Yates / Fantasy - Your Love Is My Fantasy / Sexostatic (great boogie)
    Amp Crew - Will Rock You (big electro 12)
    Robert Owens - Must Be Loven You (modern)
    Lee Moss - Across The Mile
    Relative Theory - The Peddler

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    there are quite a few of titles from this series - but they're hard to find. When you do though - they're always cheap (in stores that is). Anyway - not crazy about the majority of the tunes - but you can sell em for $$$ on the bay. I know I have.

• ask aleit
    but it may be 12"s that he's up on

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Beer-Moder-Grail

http://www.danceclassics.net/images/Thumbs/pages/Sir-Prize.htm

Not my cup of tea really.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Beer-Moder-Grail

http://www.danceclassics.net/images/Thumbs/pages/Sir-Prize.htm

Not my cup of tea really.

This has been in my box since 88.....
    Once or twice thought about binning it

Now a call to Manship is in order methinks
    Or is there a better outlet for this?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hey!!

Starstream was based in Houston and behind these releases. Essentially, they were a promotion company that would put together showcase releases for radio stations... many of the releases were run as local talent competitions. There was an extensive series in the early 80's through Miller beer w/ rock bands including Twisted Sister and even Bon Jovi on the roster. They spread out and tried "urban" stations at some point, i think with less success... the Budweiser Showdown series did get some television airtime (albeit not much) as a Star Search sort of program... i think Lou Rawls was the Ed McMahon of the show.

there is a somewhat endless amount of releases put out by the company and it's been difficult trying to figure to find the right person who might actually be helpful in assembling a discography.

i spoke with the former VP of Production at Starstream a couple months ago and learned a lot from him... he told me that the irony of it all was that the bands that won the competitions rarely went on to achieve any success in the music world but it was the bands that didn't win that often were more succesful... Bon Jovi being the band he cited as an example.

i don't know the 45 releases very well but have had at least 8 or so of the 12"s from time to time. I probably have 4 different titles in stock right now.

PEACE!!