question for the strut producers

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
who here samples from cds? i personally have never done it, i'm strictly wax, and i assume most of the producers on soulstrut sample from wax,...but i know producers such as Four Tet, Kayne West and Dr. Dre ect. that sample off cds...what are your thoughts on this type of sampling?

Comments

• I don't, but I'm not against it. Just stuck in my ways I guess.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    cds? MP3s!

who cares?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• GO TO SLEEP!

I just kicked it with "belafonte" and josh. btw

and yo a dope beat is a dope beat. If it's vinyl, cd, or live musicians as long as it's good. People should be more concerned about the quality of their release then the ethics of making said release. So much uncessary music is flooding the game that it makes whether you rocked a private press joint or a dusty finger moot.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    LOL. Yeah, I DO need to go to sleep. I still got some papers to grade though. FUCK. I should probably leave a few more cryptic, snarky jpegs for the board before I get back to work.

in the year 2000....

I think I might be hanging out with some yokels this friday. I have to give jinxy a call about it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I sample from tape, md, cd, dat, vinyl, dvd, tv, etc... what is the problem?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    the real question is do you sample mp3s? that seems to be a touchy subject for a lot of "diggers"

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    the real question is do you sample mp3s? that seems to be a touchy subject for a lot of "diggers"

I sample mp3's posted on soulstrut.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ive tried it a few times, mainly cause i thought the sound quality would be better than the vinyl version of a song, but I haven't really seen any great difference. My vinyl usage is also partly because even if you get a cd compliation or reissue, alot of the best shit is hidden in dusty grooves, and a mate schooled me that with the proper set up vinyl sounds better.

But i think its generational too. i know one young producer (over here in Sydney) the dude is fresh, he just grabs any cd's (random shit) and grabs sounds and samples of them and flips them into some heavy killer tracks. He aint a crate digger, or dj, has fuck all equiptment, but is more prolific, and original than many tradional styled producers.

And with serrato, cdj's,cdr's, mp3 its awhole new set of audio sources we didnt really have when i got into it, so maybe kids will flipp that shit in different ways. I heard of cats making beats of old viedo game sounds and gameboys and shit nowadays....

on a side note, I heard of kids downloading mp3 of breaks and using them to make tracks. What do ppl. think on that?

• the real question is do you sample mp3s? that seems to be a touchy subject for a lot of "diggers"

I sample mp3's posted on soulstrut.

I sampled Boscoe after it was posted here

• The only sampling I don't do.

Unless I have a bladder infection or something.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I prefer a high quality CD rip/mp3 to vinyl in some cases. I usually do both if possible, then pick the better sounding audio, totally depends on the sample. Some times you want a filthy/crusty sound other times you need something clean/crisp. Same goes for drum sounds. Spending less time worrying about format and more time getting creative is whats up.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    This is a bullshit discussion. As long as the outcome doesn't sound like shit and is musically good then it's ok whichever medium you choose. The key here is QUALITY, both of sound and composition.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    strictly original vinyl, but to each their own. just gives me a sense of self-satisfaction.

• strictly original vinyl, but to each their own. just gives me a sense of self-satisfaction.

• on a side note, I heard of kids downloading mp3 of breaks and using them to make tracks. What do ppl. think on that?

after mixing down, mastering, running sounds through filters and compressors, i don't know if there would be noticeable difference if someone originally sampled a 320 bit rate mp3 or a .wav file off a cd.

??? ???

i would assume most producers try very hard to stay away from any files they themselves don't compress