real ebay alternatives

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
a suprisingly decent article via the devil's own.... cnnebay realizes they fucked up with all of the the changeshttp://money.cnn.com/2008/02/06/smbusiness/ebay_alternatives.fsb/index.htm?postversion=2008020610

Comments

• 404 not found

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    fixed

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    with all the wealth of knowledge and $$ some of you dudes have collectively, there should have been a record related auction site years ago. I think if you started it with like month long auctions, low listing fees, and advertised the shit out of it, you could get it poppin within a few years.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If you want to be part of the buyer and seller boycott Feb. 18-25th, go to thepetitionsite(dot)com. On the front page under Activist Petitions (about half way down the page), there is an eBay Buyer and Seller Strike petition. Sign it and tell eBay you???re not going to take it anymore!

• with all the wealth of knowledge and $$ some of you dudes have collectively, there should have been a record related auction site years ago. I think if you started it with like month long auctions, low listing fees, and advertised the shit out of it, you could get it poppin within a few years.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...Record nerds unite!

• good luck with that.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Discuss everything you'd like from a record auction site from a buyer's and seller's perspective and I'll think about it.

What's held me back in the past is handling payment. Not easy!

• What's held me back in the past is handling payment. Not easy!

Is it fair to say thats the ONLY tricky part?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I really don't doubt that Ivan could pull this off, especially with some collective SoulStrut help.

Not at all, that's just been the dealbreaker for me to date.

In all honesty, I've been formulating a business plan for the last few months around a web portal all things music related with auctions only being a piece of it. The plan is pretty solid, but development has been real slow as I've been working 80 hours a week the past couple months at my current job... no joke. I leave for Barcelona on Saturday for 10 days for a mobile conference. When I get back, things should slow down a bit so I'm gonna pick it back up.

That's all I'll say for now... any further info on it would require an NDA

nah I meant more along the lines of preventing chargebacks and telling porkies about not recieving packages etc... I mean, how can that be enforced realistically? Mandatory registered mail?

• I'm not trying to make it sound trivial BTW, anything but....

nah I meant more along the lines of preventing chargebacks and telling porkies about not recieving packages etc... I mean, how can that be enforced realistically? Mandatory registered mail?

Exactly... all that stuff is part of payment in my thinking and the predicted nightmares are what have held me back in the past. That's why I was hoping to get a best case scenario brainstorm session here for buyers and sellers. Mandatory delivery confirmation is certainly an option. Thoughts?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Exactly... all that stuff is part of payment in my thinking and the predicted nightmares are what have held me back in the past. That's why I was hoping to get a best case scenario brainstorm session here for buyers and sellers. Mandatory delivery confirmation is certainly an option. Thoughts?

Payment can be sent by money order through the post. That is the way payment was handled in the Goldmine days, 10 years ago. Anyone can use paypal, your site does not need to have any business connections with paypal for a buyer and seller to use it. Legit business can offer direct credit card payments.

Disputes can be arbitrated using basic rules through the site, but in the end it is always laissez fair.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The most obvious initial problems with this service would be drawing in enough bidders and sellers. People are going to be really leary of listing high ticket items for just 1 week increments at the beginning. Start off John Manship style, and make a cheap option to be able to have the auctions go for a month.

In that article on CNNMoney or whatever, one of the upstart auction places was focusing on making it very easy for buyers/sellers to interact. This is a great idea, and the better this option is, the better for everyone.

There is just no possible way you're going to beat out an Ebay style auction service. However, with some years and shitload of effort, I think you could at least make it to a GEMM/MUSICSTACK level of business, where its more geared towards collectors who know what they want and will bid/pay top dollar for it, and come to you before they hit ebay, if you're doing it right.

Some great points being made in this thread...

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=13979&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

everyone will pay with a moneyorder so that way you don't have to deal with the high paypal fees.

• there should be a feedback system

I still want to feedback such like this:

There was a third but it would prob shock you lot too much