Anyone else HATING children doing BV's?

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This is an obscure example, I know, but Dewey Terry's "Let Them Ol' Stars & Stripes Shine" (from his Tumbleweed album Chief, ca. 1972) has a chillun's chorus that comes THAT close to being irritating...as corny as this tune is, it still makes it, children's voices and all...there's a weird part towards the end where the band goes into this percussion jam that sounds totally unrelated to the rest of the song...as the jam fades down, we get to hear the kiddie chorus acapella, shouting the title at full blast, as if to say, "we haven't left the studio yet!"...I'd rather hear this than the loud kids in the Ovaltine commercials ("MORE OVALTINE, PLEASE!"), but DAMN...

I really wanted to like this LP because of the powerful "Do On My Feet..." single. That, plus the jacket design is extremely But a one-tracker, all the way, as I recall. Do I need to pull this out again?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This is an obscure example, I know, but Dewey Terry's "Let Them Ol' Stars & Stripes Shine" (from his Tumbleweed album Chief, ca. 1972) has a chillun's chorus that comes THAT close to being irritating...as corny as this tune is, it still makes it, children's voices and all...there's a weird part towards the end where the band goes into this percussion jam that sounds totally unrelated to the rest of the song...as the jam fades down, we get to hear the kiddie chorus acapella, shouting the title at full blast, as if to say, "we haven't left the studio yet!"...I'd rather hear this than the loud kids in the Ovaltine commercials ("MORE OVALTINE, PLEASE!"), but DAMN...

I really wanted to like this LP because of the powerful "Do On My Feet..." single.

I was hoping I'd like this album because Dewey Terry used to be one-half of Don & Dewey (the powerhouse 1950's rock & roll duo who recorded for Specialty).

That, plus the jacket design is extremely

Yeah, an album cover that looks like a kindergartener's notebook (and his grade-school-aged son did the lettering!).

But a one-tracker, all the way, as I recall. Do I need to pull this out again?

No, Lord. There's only two cuts that did it for me, "...Stars & Stripes..." and "Sweet As Spring." The rest is lukewarm blooze-rock. The only thing I liked about "Do On My Feet What I Did In The Street" was the title - maybe I need to pull this out again to see if it sounds better than I remembered. Probably doesn't?