Anyone else HATING children doing BV's?

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
My enjoyment of the following (otherwise excellent) records is intolerably impaired by the insane tactic of allowing small children to 'perform' backing vocals, and I ain't talking Osmonds or J5: Razzie - I Hate Hate [/b] (sub-gentre: oxymoronic rekkid titles) Ryo Kawasaki - Looking Around You [/b] (Little Tree album)Please post other similarly tainted desecrations

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    and of course, not to include dwarf songs (or 'vertically different' or any other policically correct construction)

After all, the Oompah Loompah song is a big in-car entertainment favourite of many right-minded individuals

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I hate children.

man, thems is good pix
    you are like a one-man archive for this stuff, the hat is off to you sir

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Its funny, my son (2 1/2) absolutly lOVES it when he hears childrens voices singin, especially in chorus.

He gets all excited and always demands the rewind.

Im trying to think of songs i play that include kiddy vocals, but none spring to min.

That Vinyl Vulture kids compilation ( Its fun o listen and learn) is a staple in our house.

kids...

Its funny, my son (2 1/2) absolutly lOVES it when he hears childrens voices singin, especially in chorus.

He gets all excited and always demands the rewind.

Im trying to think of songs i play that include kiddy vocals, but none spring to min.

That Vinyl Vulture kids compilation ( Its fun o listen and learn) is a staple in our house.

kids...

I have a home brew cd in the car of kiddy soul pop, e.g. New Edition, Ponderosa Twins, J5, Osmonds, Sylvers etc man alive, even Hanson!

The kids love it but from an adults perspective, the only cuts that stand repeated playing are the Osmonds and Sylvers tracks. All others come across a tad too knowing, cutesy, mannered.

They are a little older now and feelin' it for the jazz.
    Jon Lucien is a big favourite. Thankfully.

• One of the few chilluns-BV I can get with is the chorus of (white and Asian) kids who answer James Brown back on "Say It Loud - I'm Black & I'm Proud." I didn't even know those were children at first, I thought those were teenage girls.

Razzie - I Hate Hate [/b]

The version I have*** has NO background vocals...but it's still a slightly corny tune anyway.

________________________________________________________________________________
    ***from the album Sparks, on the Plantation label, a reissue of earlier singles meant to cash in on Razzy Bailey's later country success in the eighties

Razzie - I Hate Hate [/b]

The version I have*** has NO background vocals...but it's still a slightly corny tune anyway.

________________________________________________________________________________
    ***from the album Sparks, on the Plantation label, a reissue of earlier singles meant to cash in on Razzy Bailey's later country success in the eighties
    but a great singalong tune, no?
    I knew about the version w/o kids on it, then I saw one for sale on Ian Clark's list.
    I calls him up, he swears blind that it's the one w/o kids, I buy it, get it, play it
    and guess what......

• I hate children.

the pretty much ruin movies, music, whatever they happen to be involved with really.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    jorge ben found a good way to incorporate children vocals imo

magnolia and his 10 anos depois albums are good examples

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

GOOD GOD!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I like the kids vocals that come in on "15 Ways".

• Razzie - I Hate Hate [/b]

The version I have has NO background vocals...but it's still a slightly corny tune anyway.

but a great singalong tune, no?

Yeah, I'll give ya that, but they probably would have made out better had they used some grownup female vox instead.

• Joyce "Clareana" is a nice track with a little kid on the chorus

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I hatt how R.Kelly uses children on I Wish and Gotham City.

I like The Annie Chorus on Jay-Z's Hard Knock Life, but Hatt the song.

I really like Diamond D's use of kids on Red Light Green Light.

Its usually not done right.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    and of course, not to include dwarf songs (or 'vertically different' or any other policically correct construction)

After all, the Oompah Loompah song is a big in-car entertainment favourite of many right-minded individuals
    oompah loompahs are a sorry excuse for vertically challenged song-writing.
    plaese to get familiar:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Rubberband man, wild as the Taliban, 9 in my right, .45 in my other hand."

And no, I'm not hating.

oompah loompahs are a sorry excuse for vertically challenged song-writing.

plaese to get familiar:

whoa... that's not a shrunken Mr J*rvis of *biquity is it?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I don't know if it applies, but whatever Cubie is doing on Five Stairsteps' "New Dance Craze" is pretty...distracting.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't know if it applies, but whatever Cubie is doing on Five Stairsteps' "New Dance Craze" is pretty...distracting.

That one always sounded like they took an existing Stairsteps track and dubbed Cubie on top of it...kinda weird hearing Cubie spout gibberish while his older siblings just keep singing like nothing is wrong...that ain't kiddie background vocals, that's kiddie FOREGROUND vocals, and my-oh-my is it ever bizarre.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Its funny, my son (2 1/2) absolutly lOVES it when he hears childrens voices singin, especially in chorus. He gets all excited and always demands the rewind.

Ditto. Our 5-year son old demands ill rewinds of (the wife's copy of) Take That's "Mancunian Way" because Gary Barlow's daughter squeaks out the bee vees at the end.

Imagine that.

I've heard it done well on one track that comes to mind quickly, Outside's "The Plan" from "The Rough and the Smooth". The kids all do some "La La Lah-Laaaah" line and then they leave in the voice of one kid asking the engineer "Was that alright, Andy?"...

I like the little girl's laughter at the end of Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Clair" but the lyrics make it a difficult listen in these more suspicious times...... **cough* Gary Glitter **cough*

and it hardly counts as backing vocals
    I feel that putting kids on a record is a little like vanity publishing.
    And surely has near-ruined some great tracks.

anyway, how did this dead thread get resurrected?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    What about The Jackson's "ABC" and New Edition's "Candy Girl"? I ride hard for them, yet are they good because / despite the kiddie vocals?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I really like Quiet dawn off Attica Blues but sense that I'm in the minority.

What about The Jackson's "ABC" and New Edition's "Candy Girl"? I ride hard for them, yet are they good because / despite the kiddie vocals?

I mention earlier that some favourite in-car cd entertainment is provided by those you mentioned, and I reckon they had the singing chops to carry the songs, no question. And in general, I ride for kiddie pop/soul any time. J5, Sylvers, New Edition, Ponderosa Twins, Osmonds, Hanson, bring it on.

It was more aimed at the tuneless shouting that pervades the first titles in the thread, namely Razzie's " I hate hate" and Ryo Kawasaki's " Look Around You", which really are besmirched by this awful caterwauling.

Rest assured, the bv's on those songs are certainly not provided by anyone with a scrap of singing talent.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I think the Childrens BV's on Dr. Buzzard's Sunshower are wicked and I couldn't have it any other way.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Also add to that Another Brick in the Wall for well used childrens vocals.

Edit: Sorry Missed this part :
    "vertically different or any other policically correct construction"

though I'm not sure exactly what policically means, this thread was made about songs with poor useage.

my bad

Also add to that Another Brick in the Wall for well used childrens vocals.

Edit: Sorry Missed this part :
    "vertically different or any other policically correct construction"

though I'm not sure exactly what policically means, this thread was made about songs with poor useage.

my bad

sorry, should have been 'politically'.

You're spot on with the Floyd track, those kids vocals are very well used.
    Though most of the kids were adolescents I believe.
    Borderline kid bv's revealed!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nas - I Know I Can.....has annoying kids.

well, that's another topic entirely

the subject line hates on children's BACKGROUND vox. not FOREGROUND.

This is an obscure example, I know, but Dewey Terry's "Let Them Ol' Stars & Stripes Shine" (from his Tumbleweed album Chief, ca. 1972) has a chillun's chorus that comes THAT close to being irritating...as corny as this tune is, it still makes it, children's voices and all...there's a weird part towards the end where the band goes into this percussion jam that sounds totally unrelated to the rest of the song...as the jam fades down, we get to hear the kiddie chorus acapella, shouting the title at full blast, as if to say, "we haven't left the studio yet!"...I'd rather hear this than the loud kids in the Ovaltine commercials ("MORE OVALTINE, PLEASE!"), but DAMN...