Not Mad At: Estelle

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Just A Touch:

And just for measure all you "real schitters" should be mad happy since her production has a lot of loops, samples, and even filtering!But yo, good to see some more current soul getting some shine on the radio.

Comments

• I find her success really weird...
    She's been around in the UK Hip Hop scene for years and was a pretty average rapper who did a bunch of collabos and who doesn't have a particularly good singing voice and all of a sudden she's blown up...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im not feelin this shit Young P.

VH1 has been tryin to highlight her song, but I just dont see the appeal.

She cant sing or MC and isnt cute either.

• P man DELETE THIS THREAD before anyone else sees it dude.

• Im not feelin this shit Young P.

ohh sorry. it's not kool keith.

Seriously KK looks better than her.

• Im not feelin this shit Young P.

40+ male better looking than a late 20's/early 30's woman? If you're into that thing I guess but yo...

and I didn't say anything about her looks btw.

40+ male better looking than a late 20's/early 30's woman? If you're into that thing I guess but yo...

and I didn't say anything about her looks btw.

im not being literal YP....Just sayin what is her appeal?

• i like her songs.

DEAL

Imagine if someone who could actually sing/MC would do w/ those productions?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've been playing "Just a Touch" for a couple months now with nothing but good reactions. That shit knocks. I hate to say it, but Will I Am hooked that one up.
    I'm not feeling "American Boy" as much. I think she's kind of mediocre vocally, but she's obviously got someone throwing $ behind her working with Kanye and Will.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I like "American Boy". I think it's great pop.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yeah sorry mang she is average as hell. I caught her live a few years back in sydney and her stage show is weak as well. Is that the screaming jay hawkins sample in wait a minute?
    There are a heap of better soul singers on the come up like Tiombe Lochart.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I've been playing "Just a Touch" for a couple months now with nothing but good reactions. That shit knocks. I hate to say it, but Will I Am hooked that one up.
    I'm not feeling "American Boy" as much. I think she's kind of mediocre vocally, but she's obviously got someone throwing $ behind her working with Kanye and Will.

the just a touch is really well produced and borrows from a lot of styles

the girls voice is average at best however and i can't help but feel like record execs are simultaneously responding to the winehouse boom while doubling a MsDynamite revival campaign ?? la lady sovereign hype...

Put the right producers behind the decks you might indeed blend in all those styles..

however i am just jaded ..better pop i aint

• I like the production on just a touch.

Here's a mixable edit of American Boy: http://www.zshare.net/audio/6654270ba1c35a/

• The song on the new Hi-Tek was good. The beat might have been why i liked it though..

• There are a heap of better soul singers on the come up like Tiombe Lochart.

she's dope. But i'm not really sure if "better" is the term. I wonder when Tiombe's solo album will drop though, I've reaaaaally enjoyed everything she's been on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Good to see that she's making a bit of noise over there. Atlantic have obviously sunk a ton of cash into this project, and from what I've heard so far, the album has the potential to do well. Like many UK rappers, she's put the time in on the circuit over here (I've seen her smash it at open mic nights on a few occasions during the 90s), but her last label seemed too keen to force her down a pop route. I think the right kind of balance has been struck with her new shit, though. She's got enough mainstream appeal to cross over, but she can definitely hold her own as a rapper, and some of the stuff on this record is a far better showcase for her skills on that front than her last album for V2, which was neither one thing nor the other for much of the time.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    the count of monte cristal & sinden remix of just a touch is great

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Agreed...Better is a bad word. I'll settle for different. Did you pick up the Tiombe Lockhart Bootleg 1 cd? I think you can get it from her myspace page or bling47s page. Can't wait for a full lenght solo though.

• the count of monte cristal & sinden remix of just a touch is great

upload it

kicks79:

I flipped through it once and wasn't really feeling it enough to cop it.

• ESTELLE WAITAMINUTE = SUPER HOT POP MUSIC

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    OK... the UK is overdoing it with the new soul shit. It's obvious that it sells, but is it necissary to milk the hell out of every little niche that turns a profit? I just got a promo for this girl "Duffy" and it's crap. I like Corrine tho.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    OK... the UK is overdoing it with the new soul shit. It's obvious that it sells, but is it necissary to milk the hell out of every little niche that turns a profit? I just got a promo for this girl "Duffy" and it's crap. I like Corrine tho.

I'm with you on Duffy, although I want to reserve judgement until I hear her album at least. That "Mercy" joint is getting thrashed to death on pop radio in the UK, and it's the kind of shit that no major label would have touched five years ago. Self-consciously retro, three-chord, 12-bar rhythm-and-blues that's only getting any action because "Rehab" was a smash. Needless to say, this girl (as well as another, Adele) is being hailed as "the new Amy Winehouse" in the press. It's ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the write-ups that are comparing her, with a straight face, to Aretha Franklin and Dusty Springfield. I mean, that shit has "lazy journalism" written all over it - it's like the first two names the PR company came up with off the top of their heads, and they write a review around that. The music doesn't have a hope of measuring up.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I'm with you on Duffy, although I want to reserve judgement until I hear her album at least. That "Mercy" joint is getting thrashed to death on pop radio in the UK, and it's the kind of shit that no major label would have touched five years ago. Self-consciously retro, three-chord, 12-bar rhythm-and-blues that's only getting any action because "Rehab" was a smash. Needless to say, this girl (as well as another, Adele) is being hailed as "the new Amy Winehouse" in the press. It's ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the write-ups that are comparing her, with a straight face, to Aretha Franklin and Dusty Springfield. I mean, that shit has "lazy journalism" written all over it - it's like the first two names the PR company came up with off the top of their heads, and they write a review around that. The music doesn't have a hope of measuring up.

got the album... it's a festering terd.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Is it necissary to milk the hell out of every little niche that turns a profit?

IT IS TO MILK THE HELL OUT OF ANYTHING THAT MAKES A PROFIT UNTIL IT IS DEAD.
    - The Management

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    But I am pleased that Estelle has turned a profit. I don't think she's ever been seriously marketed as "Rap", or not even in the same game as Dizzee Rascal. But it's good pop.

Her old manager is the brother of Matt "Little Britain" Lucas IIRC.

• dizee rascal isn't rap either yo