Keeping It Real Sucks......

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Saying though. I'm at my Sunday night gig right now. Me and DV One two of the towns top notch dudes in the dj game. This is the night that we "Keep it real" and play the dope shit. Well, there are a total of 12 people here and it's past midnight. 3 bboys, 3 frat boys, a pregnant chick, a drug dealer and 4 becky's that look like they ended up in the wrong place. Ok so the music is good. The vibe isn't. It's just wack. Last night I played wack music to a crowd of 1000 well mixed crowd with fine chicks and got paid and drunk. Were is the medium in this game? Seems like it's either one or the other around this town. I think Nas was more then correct when he said hip hop is dead. I have to agree but we've all know this. I honestly don't know which situation is worse! They both pretty much suck.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    That's awful. I don't care if it's Sunday. I don't understand 2008. I am convinced that I'm living in the wrong decade.

• Tell T*by I said to keep it articulate and play "Relentless Pee!"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's interesting that you're bringing up this topic right now. I was just talking to DJ Aurajin about this. The Bargain DJ collective is just about to move out from Tao on the strip, and back downtown to a small local bar (The Griffin). Which is probably the best thing for the night.

Personally when I go out, I want to get some drinks, listen to some good music with friends, and talk it up with some nice ladies. In that order. Most venues have expensive drinks, horrible music, alright ladies. In that order.

I can only really comment on my local scene, but I think that there can be a balance to having a successful night the way you want it. John Doe has been consistantly delivering a great night out here with good music, and people can trust that when you go to his night you're going to have a good time. It's almost like a restaraunt, locals tell there friends about it, and it grows every month. He can probably comment on this better than I can.

In Vegas there is a club night every night. The tourists don't care about anything except, tits, drinks, and sex. We have a shit-ton of commercial (paying) gigs, and a very little local scene (low pay). However people who cater to the local scene usually can generate a decent amount of turnout as long as they have a consistant product.

- spidey

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Personally when I go out, I want to get some drinks, listen to some good music with friends, and talk it up with some nice ladies. In that order. Most venues have expensive drinks, horrible music, alright ladies. In that order.

YES. Balance is good. For example, Little Temple bar in Silverlake (in LA county) is a nice spot. Nice medium-sized club/lounge, with 2 dance floors, easy-going crowd, and people that will likely get down to 2pac or a obscure funk 45 just the same.

Supreme, maybe you could find a club owner, that'll fly you down to LA for the weekends or something.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In 2008, either you've got a regional thing going, or you're left grasping at straws. Sunday night rap clubs are still big in Texas as kids can't seem to get enough of Screw-related music. Almost can't imagine what anyone could otherwise agree on as far as what songs/artists are classics.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Keep It Real" Sundays.........

• Saying though. I'm at my Sunday night gig right now. Me and DV One two of the towns top notch dudes in the dj game. This is the night that we "Keep it real" and play the dope shit. Well, there are a total of 12 people here and it's past midnight. 3 bboys, 3 frat boys, a pregnant chick, a drug dealer and 4 becky's that look like they ended up in the wrong place. Ok so the music is good. The vibe isn't. It's just wack. Last night I played wack music to a crowd of 1000 well mixed crowd with fine chicks and got paid and drunk. Were is the medium in this game? Seems like it's either one or the other around this town. I think Nas was more then correct when he said hip hop is dead. I have to agree but we've all know this. I honestly don't know which situation is worse! They both pretty much suck.

Yeah but Sundays are a tough sell no matter what you're playing, right? My Friday night keeps it borderline real (a bit of 80s pop ruins the reality) and has a sufficient-to-bumping population. But if it was moved to Sunday, it would probably bomb.

and superbowl sunday at that.

• djing music you don't like to a huge crowd always wins against djing music you love to crickets. there's a lot of other components to djing besides the actual songs that get played. just enjoy all the other parts and listen or dj the music you like at niche/self-promoted parties (where you control the crowd) or in your car/home/studio, etc.

• djing music you don't like to a huge crowd always wins against djing music you love to crickets.

True. But DJing music you hate to a huge crowd of people who hate what you love can be a gut-wrenching experience. I tried to drop a indie rap joint on a Top 40 crowd when I was first starting out, and it cleared the floor. Went back to the top 40 and hated myself for the rest of the night.

i'm sure the gods of indie rap won't hold that against you when you are standing at the gates of indie rap heaven.

• Dude, I can relate... a couple weeks ago, I DJ'ed at a friend's house party. I brought what I thought would be some cool stuff to have conversation over and provide ambience (Trojan-era roots reggae stuff), some NYC salsa joints (ala Cotique and Fania) some No-Wave and rock stuff and (of course) my favorite, funk 45's.

The crowd was mixed but leaning heavily on the gay side, which is cool, but they really weren't into what I brought to the mix. They got down to some funk for a little bit, but after a while they wanted to hear more commercial stuff. So I gracefully bowed out and the hostess blew up the spot with her ipod. HER IPOD!!!!

Took me a minute to shake that off. In the end, I just chalked it up to not having the right records for the occasion. No big deal. I'd rather not spin a set at all than spin stuff that I just don't like. That's one of the reasons why I never took a steady gig. It takes the funout of the DJ experience. That's my take on it...

Dudes gotta learn to stop over-intellectualizing spinning records.

Im not partying to discuss music on the dance floor.

Smart shit is for the Lounge.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

and this, my friends, is why i really only been playing these establishments.
    hot girls, no beckys, good music, hot girls, chill atmosphere
    yall can keep the large club top 40 gigs

• Were is the medium in this game?

the medium is europe. locally, i do alot of one offs and i have 1 residency...sat nights. i played a total of 2 hip hop records this sat...big daddy kane warm it up kane, run dmc. my crowd loves it...especially when im getting notes handed to me from females asking to play edits of voyage/ i love you dancer.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

You would think right?! Well, I started a Thurs. night at a lounge and yes it started out this way. Then once all the NBA and NFL got wind of it cause it's a super dope lounge they would all come through when in town. Then the groupies followed. The thugs etc. It turned out to be one of the biggest parties in the city every Thursday night for 3 years straight. Although the music ended up changing for the worse. Request after request etc. and my thing has always been to rock the party. Therefore I play to the crowd in front of me. I know who wants fela kuti or ac/dc or who wants DJ Khaled. It was an awesome event until someone got thrown directly through the plate glass window in front of the venue. It got real ugly and we had to stop at that point. The owner loved us because he was making so much money but hated the crowd. A catch 22. He then told me to remember it's a lounge not a club. You would have never known it because it was pretty much a full blown jiggy club 6 mos. after I was in there. I can remember some crazy nights in that place. Girls would be dancing literally everywhere, up on couches, the bar, speakers, tables, etc. The place would be a complete mess at 2:00AM. here are a few pics from the place.

Honestly my favorite spot in town

At 11PM and would pack out way more then this by 12!

You would think right?! Well, I started a Thurs. night at a lounge and yes it started out this way. Then once all the NBA and NFL got wind of it cause it's a super dope lounge they would all come through when in town. Then the groupies followed. The thugs etc. It turned out to be one of the biggest parties in the city every Thursday night for 3 years straight. Although the music ended up changing for the worse. Request after request etc. and my thing has always been to rock the party. Therefore I play to the crowd in front of me. I know who wants fela kuti or ac/dc or who wants DJ Khaled. It was an awesome event until someone got thrown directly through the plate glass window in front of the venue. It got real ugly and we had to stop at that point. The owner loved us because he was making so much money but hated the crowd. A catch 22. He then told me to remember it's a lounge not a club. You would have never known it because it was pretty much a full blown jiggy club 6 mos. after I was in there. I can remember some crazy nights in that place. Girls would be dancing literally everywhere, up on couches, the bar, speakers, tables, etc. The place would be a complete mess at 2:00AM. here are a few pics from the place.

Thursday is a very good night.

Just wanted to point out that seattle has had a history of DOPE sunday nights. The Re Bar, Celebrities, Cat Walk, Yo Son at Chop Suey, etc. Our night is usually decent and I blame it on the Superbowl for sure.

Those aquariums look like nice sticker locations

• Those aquariums look like nice sticker locations

I feel bad for the fish that have to be subjected to the steady stream of douchebags and their equally shitty taste in music.

"I feel bad for the fish that have to be subjected to the steady stream of douchebags and their equally shitty taste in music"

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i really want to do a tour of just dope ass lounges in this country. like on some sexy tip. you already know what would happen

Those aquariums look like nice sticker locations

I feel bad for the fish that have to be subjected to the steady stream of douchebags and their equally shitty taste in music.

My private mind garden party would that lounge and....

House Band: Placebo

Waitress: Adriana Lima

Sponsored by: Hennessey (free Hennessey all night)

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    [quote
    THIS IS why i dont go to clubs or bars.
    how do people cluster together like that? last weekend after a family party we went to some bar up the street. it was wall to wall people. you had to walk sideways with your drink over your head. and there was acliche cover band playing on the floor. no stage. the place was the size of a big bedroom. i left after 10 minutes.

I have never really understood why people would stand in a long ass line, deal with some asshole bouncers, wear clothes you don't really want to, pay ten times too much for a beverage, pay too much just to walk in to a sardine can with a bunch of douche bags and listen to shitty music!

I'm on the other end of that, I'm just there working and making money. Never ever pay for anything and am in v.i.p or at the dj booth which is not over crowded. I really hate clubs. I have been in them almost nightly for a solid 10+ years.

King Britt is playing this lounge in 2 weeks.

• I have never really understood why people would stand in a long ass line, deal with some asshole bouncers, wear clothes you don't really want to, pay ten times too much for a beverage, pay too much just to walk in to a sardine can with a bunch of douche bags and listen to shitty music!

DRUNKEN HOT GIRLS

my game is piss poor when i gotta yell, with my stank alcohol breath, into the side of a chicks face.
    my wit doesnt quite trasnslate well being hollered over the synths of todays hit music.

• my game is piss poor when i gotta yell, with my stank alcohol breath, into the side of a chicks face.
    my wit doesnt quite trasnslate well being hollered over the synths of todays hit music.

the vip table does the talking for you

• my game is piss poor when i gotta yell, with my stank alcohol breath, into the side of a chicks face.
    my wit doesn't quite translate well being hollered over the synths of todays hit music.

Yeah, I don't get down like that either. Besides, I figure any chick who's into that scene is most likely someone I wouldn't be able to tolerate for more than 5 minutes anyway. Not to mention the fact that if she's there with a pack of other chicks, the odds of you getting laid are already stacked against you with her friends trying their best to cock- block.

Clubs suck...

Gimme a cool lounge or better yet, a dive bar with some pool tables and a good jukebox or selector at the booth. Not trying to yell out a convo with someone while elbowing my way up to a bar that's 10 people deep in shitty cologne and the same striped shirt in hopes of getting a decent jack & coke.

All one usually gets is a badly mixed drink by some random hot chick who acts like she's doing you a Frickin' favor by letting you check out her ass moments before she charges you 10 bucks for her non-existent bartending skills. Then, on top of that, she expects a tip. Yeah, here's a tip honey, learn how to do your job...

my game is piss poor when i gotta yell, with my stank alcohol breath, into the side of a chicks face.
    my wit doesn't quite translate well being hollered over the synths of todays hit music.

rereading this i hear it in bill maher's voice.