How much is too much? (MP3 R)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I talked to a dude who said he had 12,000 MP3s on his laptop - that's conservatively 37 days of no repeats. There has to be significant filler in there, to the point of it being a nuisance to navigate.I only have about 1,800 MP3s, a big chunk of it being my own vinyl rips. Still, that's more than 5.5 days of no repeats. Seems like plenty. However, I suspect that I'm in the MP3 accumulation game.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    MP3 accumulation game.

I am still baffled that such a game exists.

• 5,553 tracks on my ipod video. On the brink of no space left

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i know a dood with 510 gigs of music. uggggggg. i dunno. that seems a bit ridiculous

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What exactly are you guys objecting to, MP3's or having a lot of (potentially) crappy music?

• What exactly are you guys objecting to, MP3's or having a lot of (potentially) crappy music?

Having music for the sake of having music. Quantity over quality.

What exactly are you guys objecting to, MP3's or having a lot of (potentially) crappy music?

Both.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    YOU POST IT DOWNLOAD LINK PLEASE NOW???

• yeah
    the whole music download/rip thing lends itself to a sort of horder mentality.
    same thing with books
    have you ever been over to someone???s house that has like a shit ton of books but they don???t touch em
    they just want to be surrounded by books maybe to look smart or for some status symbol
    that???s similar
    i also hate when i see someone???s record collection and its almost 100 percent crap
    i mean if you have 1000s of records but they all suck you need to get with it.
    the music maybe plays into peoples identities so much that without having all that music they feel useless.

YOU POST IT DOWNLOAD LINK PLEASE NOW???

Has anyone else gotten one of these requests when selling something on eBay? I got one for a sealed record.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Most albums I physically own have maybe 2 or 3 tracks I listen to. Very few I can listen to all the way through. Same with the mp3 sets I have. I dunno, the de facto rules of the game see to be that you "Must be sharing complete albums only", so that's the most atomic unit that gets traded, even though they may contain only 5% of material that floats yer boat.

I suppose you'd be a bit upset if you'd downed a set and someone had already deleted the tracks they didn't like out of it. You'd want the freedom to decide what are the terds yourself.

Also, the temptation to just down the entire catalog of an artist on the off chance they have further nuggets is strong when they are just a click away. You then get hung up on being "Completist" about an artist, even when you know vast tracts of their output is garbage.

I suppose the same applies to vinyl here too.

• i know a dood with 510 gigs of music. uggggggg. i dunno. that seems a bit ridiculous

yeah, I was gonna say 12K is not that much in the 'mp3 game'. There are dudes on the regular with the over 4-500 gig amount that I've come across.

I've got way too much myself, but alot of times its the same with records for me - I'll acquire some MP3s, and then don't get around to really listening to them all to weed out the fluff. (either that or uncheck it in iTunes so it won't be in rotation)

Hoarding is part of a sedentary lifestyle.

• I got 15962 songs 45.8 straight days on 70.99 gigs. I wouldn't know how much of it is filler cuz I listen to the same 25 albums on my 'pod sometimes i will pull up something I haven't listened to before but that is only every couple months. btw I think I have even lost some albums i liked because the organization of all my files is a mess.

• Some day in the future, today's MP3 hoarders will get rich selling their rare MP3s to MP3 collectors. Start hoarding now!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i mean they make 80 gig ipods so you know people fill em up. Mabye part of it is that it will randomly play stuff you have never heard before.

i dont have that much. mabye 10 gigs tops. But i delete stuff alot.

I muat admit though, the addition of cover flow on my iphone has turned me into a bit of an mp3 collectro. Something about browsing by the album cover makes me need to have the whole album on there. Even if i only like 1 or 2 songs.

anybody else with this problem?

• I'm at like 70GB on an 80GB iPod. There are a lot of movies and TV though I tend to cycle that stuff out when I'm done with it. ALWAYS addding music...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    I have a few thousand incomplete mp3's on my computer.