Other Record Collecting Forums

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Obviously the Strut is #1, but I'm always curious what other communities of collectors are out there. I can think of a few off the top of my head:waxidermy (weirdrecordsthatsuck/disgruntled record dealer talk)soul source (northern soul)fryer-mantis (funk 45s)the-breaks (haha)diggers with gratitude (good for the random rap)vinyl addicts (dudes trippin' off indie 90s hip-hop joints)vinyl vulture (dead)What am I missing? There have got to be some good forums in other languages too, spawning LeToupts left and right.

Comments

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    Vinyl vulture still excists, but changed the address:
    http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I really dig your location spelunk...

I cant really think of another board beside those you mentionned, knowing that the-breaks is mostly for MP3 diggers, not vinyls. You didnt mention okayplayer, i guess you have your own reason. I don't like it too. Maybe the aussie forum DJ Sheep is on would fit your needs. There's a bunch of good peeps over there. I can't remember the name tho', i'm not on my laptop. The Strut seems to be the only cool board around...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I cant really think of another board beside those you mentionned, knowing that the-breaks is mostly for MP3 diggers, not vinyls. You didnt mention okayplayer, i guess you have your own reason. I don't like it too. Maybe the aussie forum DJ Sheep is on would fit your needs. There's a bunch of good peeps over there. I can't remember the name tho', i'm not on my laptop. The Strut seems to be the only cool board around...

there is a sub-forum of ozhiphop.com for vinyl heads. its not very active though.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I guess that's the one im talking about. I used to go over there like 2 years ago or something...When i was tracking Sheep for his Japanese heat. I didn't go back since.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Oh, the irony.

BTW I'm talking more about stuff like - where do jazz/psych/bossa nova/other genre collectros go to talk about things on the internet. My query is not limited to soul/funk/hip-hop.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    wasnt it called the tasman connection ?

dont know if its still up....

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    milliondollardisco.com for disco collectros

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    There are a few decent reggae boards, although they tend to be scattered around remote corners of the internets.

• http://www.soul-source.co.uk has some a pretty cool forum

There are a few decent reggae boards, although they tend to be scattered around remote corners of the internets.

any links to these?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Yeah, it's still up (Tasman connection)... but just as a list right now, I'm just finishing converting the audio to mp3 and then the site will be back up.... shortly....

+ BAPT - - http://ozhiphop.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

This is the other forum I moderate... but more on the Aussie tip!

peace.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Yeah, it's still up (Tasman connection)... but just as a list right now, I'm just finishing converting the audio to mp3 and then the site will be back up.... shortly....

+ BAPT - - http://ozhiphop.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

This is the other forum I moderate... but more on the Aussie tip!

peace.

What about that engineer forum that John Book hangs out at? I think it is very record related and attracks audiophiles and gear heads who debate their preferences for this stereo mix and that mono release.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

djhistory.com - extremely disco biased, but general interest in DJing which is cool

breakbeat.co.uk - drum'n'bass forum, but most threads are about drugs/sex/a***/c****s/digital or vinyl/more a***/drugs/booze/hangovers etc, along with dogs on acid and the ninjatune forum (which I can never bloody login in to) the threads seem to be a slightly younger generation doing the whole Facebook social-networking thing

verygoodplus.co.uk - which I find is often about records so obscure I don't have much input, or records so sh*te I haven't the time or space to be interested in buying. They are hardcore on the buying tip, but very friendly and like to chat about whatever really