weeding through this hip hop collection I bought..

2»

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

At the flea markets down here, crying lil dudes (and crying lil shorties) for sale outnumber records by about 20:1.

- Yes. Yes crying lil dudes in NC.

P.S. I used to think a lot of the groups on that list were lame but on re-listening, a lot of 'em ain't half bad. Faux is just a very picky genius black music fan.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You may live wherever you please.

As far as soufriere, I think Canada is fairly uniracial to begin with.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

True. But I'm always wondering why ethnic groups huddle together? It always seemed boring to me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Huh?

• Options
    I was trying to decifer that, too...

K.

True. But I'm always wondering why ethnic groups huddle together? It always seemed boring to me.

Birds of a feather flock together.

I agree with you though, it does seem boring, and being in an interracial family it's really hard to find interracial neighborhoods, especially of any sort of quality.

I would draw it out to a few big things-

Similarity - people feel comfortable around those who they feel are "like" them

Economics safety - probably the biggest one, I think

Objects in motion - You'll probably live in the same type of environment you grew up in, more or less

---

A side one would be probably the lack of integrated areas. 80% of Americans live in a neighborhood that is 95% or more made up of people of their own background. Meanwhile, a study found that after about 30% saturation of blacks, white people start to move out in full force.

So there aren't too many opportunties to be truly mixed in any sort of equal proportion.

Huh?

"... 13 percent of Canada's population is nonwhite. That is about half the proportion found in the United States... "

http://www.wpni.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/canada/stories/mosaic122997.htm

a study found that after about 30% saturation of blacks, white people start to move out in full force.

where i live is integrated. but there are obvious tensions: between blacks and spanish [sic, see next line]. between salvadorans and mexicans. between working class white people and new "gentrifying" rich white people. oh my.

if you could please cite the above study. that's the kind of shit that interests me. thank you

I wish I could, it was in an article I read last year I think. I might be able to turn it up.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Huh?

"... 13 percent of Canada's population is nonwhite. That is about half the proportion found in the United States... "

Depends where you live:

"49 per cent of Toronto's population was born outside of Canada, up from 48 per cent in 1996 "

Toronto

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Its partly a cultural thing too why fools flock together. My family is pretty white bread standard family oriented peoples, who likes to spend time with each other just like the rest, but unlike my girls family, most of my fam wouldn't be caught dead cookin carne asada in the public park blastin ranchero music drinkin bud lights. I get the best of both worlds :-)

Huh?

http://www.wpni.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/canada/stories/mosaic122997.htm

That article is from eight years ago. No matter. The fact that it is not a 50-50 split hardly makes it uniracial.

Depends where you live:

"49 per cent of Toronto's population was born outside of Canada, up from 48 per cent in 1996 "

Toronto

Too bad there's no records in Toronto.

"Canada was home to almost 4 million individuals who identified themselves as visible minorities in 2001, accounting for 13.4% of the total population."

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic/companion/etoimm/canada.cfm#threefold_increase

There, I think that's about as close as you can get with censuses.

And that's actually higher than I thought. My point was not to be insulting, but to reference it from this point:

"In 1981, 1.1 million visible minorities accounted for 4.7% of the total population..."

That's low. My point was that until relatively recently Canada has been almost all white. There's not 200 years and a history of slavery to go on like in the US. So perhaps it's not so ingrained in the overall psyche like in the US.

Depends where you live:

Toronto

That's true. The other thing that's hard to gauge until recently is that Canada didn't really survey by race, they surveyed by country of origin. For instance, 48.5% of that stat up there could be of people from Ireland.

It's not but it's interesting to see how things can be played. But yes, I know Toronto is well known for multiculturalism.

The other thing that's hard to gauge until recently is that Canada didn't really survey by race, they surveyed by country of origin.

This is why I don't trust statistics. There are plenty of people of ???colour??? who are born in Canada and places like the UK.

There are also a lot of people who the system doesn't recognize.

The definitions are pretty slim, too. What if you are born in Spain - are you white cause it's Europe? I know Spanish folks who most definitely do not consider themselves white. Nor do they ???look??? it.

It's tricky and it's messy.

I guess I'm having a problem with the word uniracial. We've never had one type of people here from the get-go.

Whatever the numbers are, Americans could do well by stop being such brats and admit they could learn a lot from Canadian culture--not to mention govt. policy.

I was at a hip hop show with K in Toronto. I was drunk as fuck and stepped on this big black dude's shoe. In DC, a cracker like me would be in the ER for that. But after I was like, "Man, I'm soooo sorry for that." Dude goes, "No problem" smiled and walked off. I don't know what my point is.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Depends where you live:
    For instance, 48.5% of that stat up there could be of people from Ireland.

It's not but it's interesting to see how things can be played.

Yes, it's true that that 49% is not all non-white people, but evidently by 2017 Toronto (and Vancouver, and Montreal) are projected to be more than 50% visible minority (the visible majority?)

Depends where you live:
    For instance, 48.5% of that stat up there could be of people from Ireland.

It's not but it's interesting to see how things can be played.

Yes, it's true that that 49% is not all non-white people, but evidently by 2017 Toronto (and Vancouver, and Montreal) are projected to be more than 50% visible minority (the visible majority?)

Yeah, I saw that. Interesting.

I would move to Toronto if it wasn't cold(er).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Da Bush Babies - Kinda chill. Not that special, but cool
    Das EFX - Never the biggest fan of their rapping, but a few nice joints with good production.
    Fuschnikens (sp) - Some great, overlooked production.
    Funkdoobiest (sp) - Really great Muggs production. About as good as anything else he produced at the time.
    Convicts - Really nice, hard and/or funny Rap-A-Lot shit. I'm appreciating their stuff more and more lately
    Goats - Sort of interesting, but a little dated.
    Del - Classic
    Souls of Mischief - Classic, but a few duds
    Jayo Felony - Haven't heard much, but haven't liked what I've heard.
    Deliquent Habits - Not a fan
    Intelligent Hoodlum - Huge huge fan of his entire career. Can't go wrong if you ask me.
    Kurious - Any Kurious 12" is worthwhile

But what about Candadian Blacks?

NO really, thanks for your input.