Funk 45 exodus???

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Perfect day ruined by a motherfucking worthless scumbag who won my Brothers Unique 45 for $700+. I'm already working on getting that auction voided because all their past history was video game related.

Yo, why you gotta blow up my spot like that?

It is pretty much a guarantee at this point that any item over a certain amount with a lot of action is going to get hit by a hacked or brand new account.

What I'm confused by - is this an attempt at fraud? Or just to be an asshole?

Jesse's auctions just proved Breakself's point of insane prices on eBay. It's really unbelievable.

I think Jesse's an exception. He's in the field of sellers now like Anthony or Funkyou who can command top dollar based on 1) quantity of a sale at any given time, 2) reputation based on past sales, 3) quality of the items.

Also, am I crazy or did a certain Strutter put up a copy of that "Fat Mama" 45 for $175 BIN after Jesse's auction closed?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I wish Ebay would spend more time on this and less on their new bullshit.

ebay can eat a dick for Christmas

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think Jesse's an exception. He's in the field of sellers now like Anthony or Funkyou who can command top dollar based on 1) quantity of a sale at any given time, 2) reputation based on past sales, 3) quality of the items.

Of course this is true, he's one of the best in the business and has built up a deservedly great reputation along the likes of AP, ChrisCarnahan, etc.

Let's just say that some of those auctions have made me chuckle though, no matter who the seller is.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont know shit about the 'funk market' but isnt it possible that a lot of the increased trendiness of 70s/80s R&B is spreading the wealth a little bit wider these days

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's also the possibility that some of these dealers don't know what funk is. Some novice buys a medium-tempo soul record from 1965 advertised as a blazing funk banger and gets burned. If this happens more than once, you're gonna see a lot of people jumping off the bandwagon.

On the Soul Strut homepage I see an eBay ad for a 1970 Turley Richards album on Warner Bros. mistakenly described as "soul-jazz-funk." While this white singer did record a few blue-eyed-soul 45's on Columbia in the sixties, he was doing the folkie singer-songwriter thing by the time he got to Warners. While he still had soulish mannerisms, I don't know WHERE this "soul-jazz-funk" biz comes from.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You have been buying like crazy recently from the look of things.

You bet your life. Shit - if I could throw that kind of money around, I'd have a better collection than ANY of you clowns.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There's also the possibility that some of these dealers don't know what funk is. Some novice buys a medium-tempo soul record from 1965 advertised as a blazing funk banger and gets burned. If this happens more than once, you're gonna see a lot of people jumping off the bandwagon.

On the Soul Strut homepage I see an eBay ad for a 1970 Turley Richards album on Warner Bros. mistakenly described as "soul-jazz-funk." While this white singer did record a few blue-eyed-soul 45's on Columbia in the sixties, he was doing the folkie singer-songwriter thing by the time he got to Warners. While he still had soulish mannerisms, I don't know WHERE this "soul-jazz-funk" biz comes from.

file under: "Funky Black Man Afro Soul"

If people are really doing this, given the number of records that can easily be heard online or on mixtapes, they are absolute fools.

If people are really doing this, given the number of records that can easily be heard online or on mixtapes, they are absolute fools.

I dunno man. Given the number of people who thought the What It Is boxset was revolutionary, I think there's plenty of funk newbies to go around out there.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I list every record i sell, including LPs, as 'funk 45' just in-case i can fool a funk newbie into buying it blind. it works often.

file under: "Funky Black Man Afro Soul"

...even when the artist is white!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I dunno man. Given the number of people who thought the What It Is boxset was revolutionary, I think there's plenty of funk newbies to go around out there.

Well, that plus a lot of average eBay joes (non-record vendors) frankly don't know a lot about non-rock music. Online? Mixtapes? Not in these folks' vernacular.

I dunno man. Given the number of people who thought the What It Is boxset was revolutionary,

And it was. Unless you're one of those hard-ups who won't listen to a funk 45 if there are more than 100 copies floating around, there is nothing wrong with the What It Is set. No, Lord.

'Specially stacked up next to those amateurish comps on Soul Jazz, which seem to be aimed at people who think Ohio Players' albums on Mercury are raer collector's items.

Oh, I don't doubt it, I have dealt with many such people. Not funk, but last night I gave a guy who has been DJing for ten years a 45 of Jerry Butler's "Just Because I Really Love You" and dude goes "Ooooh dude we've been wanting to sample this forever!" (He's a huge Dilla fan, so this confused me) I have also heard the term "mp3 diggin" used seriously multiple times recently, and dudes excited about finding Dennis Coffey for $20. Bob James is still heavily sweated.

Buying records for $40 that you don't know isn't too bright when you're inexperienced though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I dunno man. Given the number of people who thought the What It Is boxset was revolutionary,

And it was.

'Specially stacked up next to those amateurish comps on Soul Jazz, which are the very definition of "almost-but-not-quite."

The What It Is set was pretty damn good for a mainstream release. It opened a lot of folks' eyes. We all have quibbles, but that's what we record nuts do for fun. I wouldn't really call SJ comps amateurish, but I agree with the

very definition of "almost-but-not-quite."

assessment.

And it was.

'Specially stacked up next to those amateurish comps on Soul Jazz, which are the very definition of "almost-but-not-quite."

Actually, I'd love to hear what you have to say about that. Obviously, I'm in an awkward position but while I am really, really glad Rhino invested in What It Is, for a 4-CD set, I found the selections to be a bit wobbly in terms of consistencies in quality and just general worthiness. It's not that I expected some Keb Darge/Deep Funk obscurity smash-up. That said, given that it came out in 2006, I just thought some of the selections seemed either dated or "off". But that said, I'm glad someone like you thought it was good. That says a lot in my book.

I wouldn't really call SJ comps amateurish, but I agree with the

very definition of "almost-but-not-quite."

assessment.

Ah, cool, you know what I'm getting at!

I admit, I edited and elaborated on that original remark - I wondered if people would know what I meant when I said that Soul Jazz reissues are almost on the mark, but don't make it. But it's cool you knew what I was implying there...

And it was.

Actually, I'd love to hear what you have to say about that. Obviously, I'm in an awkward position but while I am really, really glad Rhino invested in What It Is, for a 4-CD set, I found the selections to be a bit wobbly in terms of consistencies in quality and just general worthiness. It's not that I expected some Keb Darge/Deep Funk obscurity smash-up. That said, given that it came out in 2006, I just thought some of the selections seemed either dated or "off". But that said, I'm glad someone like you thought it was good. That says a lot in my book.

Well, thanks.

The only serious flaw I saw was that the final disc was a little too disco-fusiony, but that's more all about my personal tastes...apart from that and a few liner-note gaps, I think What It Is is up there with classics like Nuggets and the Harry Smith anthologies...

• The magic of the "LISTEN!" auction of course. It's time now with newbies that are just entering the game, don't give a f*** about rarity and just want the best funk records, I mean by that not the most valuable, but the best musically.
    It's not only happens in funk, it happens in every styles.
    I sell numerous dollar bins french records on ebay and the common good records always ends with good prices, like De Roubaix Vol.1 for 60$ or whatever..
    You see something like 5 copies of Melody Nelson every week, maybe more, this is deffo not a very rare records, but people still buying it between 50 and 120$. Why? because it's a great record.
    Same for Nino Ferrer Metronomie.
    At the opposite some records who left at 100$ for no reason during the good ol' Japanese craze leaves now for nothing.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The magic of the "LISTEN!" auction of course. It's time now with newbies that are just entering the game, don't give a f*** about rarity and just want the best funk records, I mean by that not the most valuable, but the best musically.

Unfortunately for them, the newbies don't know what are musically the best funk records.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    The only serious flaw I saw was that the final disc was a little too disco-fusiony, but that's more all about my personal tastes...apart from that and a few liner-note gaps, I think What It Is is up there with classics like Nuggets and the Harry Smith anthologies...

I just wish they hadn't limited What It Is to a handful of large labels, they certainly didn't do that with Nuggets, and especially not with Nuggets II. (I don't think)

• You have been buying like crazy recently from the look of things.

no doubt you have...good for you. i saw a lot of joints i wanted that you were in on.
    just spending the bonus dough that didn't go to xmas gifts and savings.... PM me your bay name I'll step aside when I see you on thangs.

• The magic of the "LISTEN!" auction of course. It's time now with newbies that are just entering the game, don't give a f*** about rarity and just want the best funk records, I mean by that not the most valuable, but the best musically.

Unfortunately for them, the newbies don't know what are musically the best funk records.

Yeah maybe.. but to my small knowledge many of the rare deep funk 45 are not that incredible regarding stuff by The Meters, JBs, Rufus Thomas or UBB classics..

How many times I discovered these funk45 reissue with +1000$ OG on it and was not impressed at all?

The newbies bring a real fresh approach to it, without any collectros addiction, some prices are upsided down... and it's fine with me.

I just wish they hadn't limited What It Is to a handful of large labels, they certainly didn't do that with Nuggets, and especially not with Nuggets II. (I don't think)

No, but considering how many unknown and undiscovered tracks there were in the Atlantic vaults (and to a lesser extent Warners), that is a MINOR complaint. Atlantic was always on top of the regional R&B action, with masters coming from every concievable place that had a black music scene, so I'm not going to complain that some small Texas label wasn't represented (even though there are some non-WEA labels scattered here & there).

Besides, I kinda got the impression that it wasn't supposed to be an all-encompassing funk history. But I prefer this box to, say, Rhino's In Yo' Face funk series from the nineties...

• It is pretty much a guarantee at this point that any item over a certain amount with a lot of action is going to get hit by a hacked or brand new account.

What I'm confused by - is this an attempt at fraud? Or just to be an asshole?

In my most recent instance it was one of each - a zero feedback bidder who had registered the same day (seriously eBay, wtf??? Guys can just register day-of and throw down $600???) and a seemingly regular account who, if you looked at its current bids, had clearly been hacked. Laptops, ipods, iphones, paintings... and rare boogie LPs

• No, but considering how many unknown and undiscovered tracks there were in the Atlantic vaults (and to a lesser extent Warners), that is a MINOR complaint. Atlantic was always on top of the regional R&B action, with masters coming from every concievable place that had a black music scene, so I'm not going to complain that some small Texas label wasn't represented (even though there are some non-WEA labels scattered here & there).

Besides, I kinda got the impression that it wasn't supposed to be an all-encompassing funk history. But I prefer this box to, say, Rhino's In Yo' Face funk series from the nineties...

when I talked to the Rhino people about the comp (thanks to spanky), I went thru a laundry list of WEA records regarding their inclusion and about 10 of them weren't on their radar. Some stuff just wasn't on the list.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Who want to buy a stock copy for $550? Holy shit!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I think What It Is is up there with classics like Nuggets and the Harry Smith anthologies...

you must be joking