Funk 45 exodus???

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Are people getting out of the Funk game or are there just multiple dudes posting prime time ish at the same time?any thoughts????DISCUSS

Comments

• YES, please... everyone... leave the funk 45 game immediately!

but any thought as to why we're seeing so many jawns pop up on the bay at one time????

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Good question, there have been a couple pretty damn solid lists up recently. Two copies of People's Choice on Wood City in a week, Cross Bronx Expressway, etc. Still a plenty big market with a lot of buyers though.

b/w

You have been buying like crazy recently from the look of things.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    YES, please... everyone... leave the funk 45 game immediately!

but any thought as to why we're seeing so many jawns pop up on the bay at one time????

The recession is hitting people hard, and the first thing to go is disposable collectables. People love their records, but they love not being evicted even more. Dudes like Reynaldo should be cleaning up for the forseeable future as eBay prices continue to plummet due to an increase in supply and a decrease in demand.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Prices aren't really dropping on the higher priced items so there's still plenty of buyers.

Anybody see that Prophet and Disciples - You Fool auction a couple days ago? It was misspelled in the title so I'm sitting there with my $9.99 bid winning... refresh... refresh... could it really happen? 10 seconds left, still just me... 5... no way... 3... oh, there it is... the outbid I was waiting for. $250. Oh well... it was fun anyway

The recession is hitting people hard, and the first thing to go is disposable collectables. People love their records, but they love not being evicted even more. Dudes like Reynaldo should be cleaning up for the forseeable future as eBay prices continue to plummet due to an increase in supply and a decrease in demand.

Yes indeed... I will be listing some thangs soon, but no funk 45's. Those aren't going anywhere... least not yet.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I don't think a mass exodus is upon us. Funk collectors are stubborn. Even fools who pretend not to care about their funk 45s cannot help but grip them dearly.
    A lot of the big ticket items being offered are from off-genre collectors who just happened to run into some heat.

That said, the funk market right now is just plain bizarre. I've been seeing some relatively common records go for stupid money recently, as well as genuine rarities falling flat. It's anybody's guess really. I think some of these people might be trying to cash in on what they perceive as a surge in the mid-range funk market, but I have now idea to what extent that'll pan out. Not to mention the fact that Reynaldo is now bidding on rare funk records for some reason?!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FUNK-45-BLACK-O...1QQcmdZViewItem

also, 2-to-1 says this thread was sparked by the Black Exotics.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    FUCKIN PROPHET AND HIS DISCIPLES for under $1000. Ridonculous

FUCKIN PROPHET AND HIS DISCIPLES for under $1000. Ridonculous

In hindsight, I should have bid more... but I was saving my dough for something ending in a few hours (and I already have a *cough* 320 mp3 to play in Microwave *cough*). It had all the symptoms of a steal... misspelled title, ambiguous "Good" condition in the listing. I contacted the guy to elaborate and he said he didn't know how to grade records and he meant to say it was nicely playable with no skips and minimal surface noise... more like a VG+. That's okay... I'm just gonna steal BreakSelf's copy when he's drunk or asleep

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    250 is what Prophet usually goes for

I wonder about that seller, they often have some interesting Detroit stuff

funk prices are strong as far as I can see

Am I missing something, I mean it seems there are almost always funk 45 heaters on the bay

• Am I missing something, I mean it seems there are almost always funk 45 heaters on the bay

maybe it's the quality of the jawns. I can't recall a time where the Black Exotics (if you were a betting man you would've lost the bet), Robert Moore, Explosions' Jockey Ride, Black Forest, Pearl Dowell, Thunder Lightning & Rain and RDM Band all up within a month.

also, 2-to-1 says this thread was sparked by the Black Exotics.

So what did this end up going for? I completely missed it.

Rey... I thought you were a condition snob. What are you doing bidding on cracked 45's?

• Rey... I thought you were a condition snob. What are you doing bidding on cracked 45's?

Rey needs not an organ intro.

Take a bite outta funk 45s

• It's apparently a hard to find ORIGINAL pressing....

• I've gotten about that much on a couple occasions, for lesser condition copies too. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

• this is one that made me stop and say

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUL-JAZZ-45-BENNY-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

of course, i also remember gene chandler's vers. of "in my body's house" going for around $140 a few months back as well..

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I feel like this thread is made every year (at least). I think there's crazy heat on ebay right now because the dollar is in the toilet and people are seeing dollar signs...I know I am.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    this is one that made me stop and say

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUL-JAZZ-45-BENNY-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

of course, i also remember gene chandler's vers. of "in my body's house" going for around $140 a few months back as well..

Some of these prices make me feel like the higher ebay fees are negated by what people are bidding on rekkids. Hmmm, maybe not though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude,

jesse is CRAZY CAKING today. I bow down.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Dude,

jesse is CRAZY CAKING today. I bow down.

Sound clips + great rep + great customer service = $$$

On a related note, anyone have a copy of that Lillian Alexander 45 on Reynolds? I really wanted that.

• Perfect day ruined by a motherfucking worthless scumbag who won my Brothers Unique 45 for $700+. I'm already working on getting that auction voided because all their past history was video game related.

• Lots of pleasant surprises for me though so I'm happy despite that.

• It is pretty much a guarantee at this point that any item over a certain amount with a lot of action is going to get hit by a hacked or brand new account.

I deleted 20-30 bids on two items over the course of 7 days and they both ended up being ruined in the final 5 seconds.

I sold both items but not for the prices you see in the completed listings.

I wish Ebay would spend more time on this and less on their new bullshit.

Perfect day ruined by a motherfucking worthless scumbag who won my Brothers Unique 45 for $700+. I'm already working on getting that auction voided because all their past history was video game related.

Now don't ya just wish my bid won that? I would have paid right away and driven to your house to pick it up

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Good question, there have been a couple pretty damn solid lists up recently. Two copies of People's Choice on Wood City in a week, Cross Bronx Expressway, etc. Still a plenty big market with a lot of buyers though.

b/w

You have been buying like crazy recently from the look of things.

no doubt you have...good for you. i saw a lot of joints i wanted that you were in on.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Jesse's auctions just proved Breakself's point of insane prices on eBay. It's really unbelievable. I've joked around about selling him records on consignment but with these prices it seems like a good idea.

That Brothers Unique 45 is easily one of the best records I've ever heard. I hope it goes to someone who will really appreciate it. Must have been a hard one to let go of.