lots of ebay changes: thoughts?

2»

Comments

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

I am seriously pissed.

Raising the final fee to 8.75 is just robbery at this point, ESPECIALLY when added to the already outrageous PAYPAL fee. This means that the final fee after all is said and done could be as high as 15%.

Again....I am seriously pissed.

Then here's an idea.... just don't use it! Theres plenty of other avenues to sell records. No ones twisting your arm into using Ebay or Paypal. Complaining about their fee's is like going into a shop and complaining about the price of a record you want. Yeah, it sucks, but they have the right to charge whatever they want.

of course they can do whatever they want. did i say anything to the contrary?
    your suggestion of its comparison to a record store is just weak. Ebay IS the way quality records are sold these days. Have you been to a record show lately where you found a good record priced at market value and it actually sold? Probably not. Folks go to shows to either score Rare for cheap, or to sell low end material. And I don't think that ebay is the cause of this situation. I think the fact that too many damn fools tried to beat people out of their record AT SHOWS for too little money, has caused serious sellers to mostly sell their product on ebay. There are certainly exceptions to the rule (Austin, WFMU) but mostly I think this is the case.

I would very much like to see a site for record auctions now appear. I would certainly try it. However it would probably fail as Ebay is just so dominating.

THAT is overall why I am pissed.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If I had the money and resources to do it I'd seriously consider creating an auction/store site dedicated solely to buying, selling, auctioning, and trading records.

No fees
    Search all completed auctions
    Entry/search fields for Label, catalog #, proper sub-genres
    Discogs integration
    Unlimited saved searches
    Post/update/search trade lists

If only.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I hope the seller protection features are for real, and I wish they would add some layer of qualification for new users, I am way more concerned about the fact that the two big ticket items I just auctioned both were fucked by 0-feedback and hacked account bidders.

Maybe in the distant future.....

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    i should add one thing.

There are a few stores on the planet ( certainly Good Records is one of them ) that do have quality records available in them. However, rents for retail space being what they are have truly made it almost impossible to make a respectable living once the bills are paid, when selling something like vinyl. I feel that ONLY in places like NYC and a few others, is it worth it to actually pay the cost to have the retail establishment, because the population base and amount of tourist traffic justify it.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    still no turbo lister for mac..

try a program called GARAGESALE. This has been extremely helpful to me and I feel probably outdoes the turbolister. Ironically you can find GarageSale on ebay.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I would very much like to see a site for record auctions now appear. I would certainly try it.

I've thought about building one many times...

However it would probably fail as Ebay is just so dominating.

But this is always the conclusion I come to.

I really want to build a complete social networking site for all things record related... auctions only being one piece, but it's too huge a task for me right now. Maybe someday.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I would very much like to see a site for record auctions now appear. I would certainly try it.

Some dream, others do.

http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/this-week

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

yeah...great and all, but limited to just his stuff isn't it?
    I would love to see a site for all styles and all sellers. Don't think its going to happen though.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

the auctions up there right now are pretty as far as $$$$ goes...damn.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    For those selling a lot overseas, this new implement spells disaster. You thought it was scary getting bids from French and Italians with low feedback on huge items? From what I understand, you won't be able to see at all any type of feedback score for a buyer. You could have a guy setting up an account specifically to rip people off, and there is no way to know. Totally fucked up.

Right. Or, a TON more of the fools with the "I'll bid $60 on this $10 LP just to win it, and if someone bids $11-60, then I'll just NOT EVER PAY" mentality. The NPBers will be THROUGH THE ROOF.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Even with a confirmed address you still need some sort of proof of mailing though, right?

Get a 3rd Party Shipping Program and you can have a log stretching back as far as the program itself.

I can call up every single shipment I've ever made through my program here (www.endicia.com)
    Can't you do this with PayPal as well? I print all my labels through PayPal and ship via Canada Post, though I doubt this would cover my ass on a chargeback.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A little shop here is trying to get this off the ground, modelled on ebay, not much interest at the moment though Record Trader Looks ok in theory, just needs traffic & people to use it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Thoughts?

You know what, it is just the same old same old same old stuff:

---

Dear mylatency2,

I understand you have a high volume to deal with, but if you
    offer insurance and priority shipping, the least you can do is
    provide me with the tracking I requested. I have received two
    records by media mail that I won after this one, your lack of
    communication and delay in shipping is absolutely indefensible.
    How do you have any positive feedbacks???? I am considering
    posting negative feedback, and filing a complaint against you
    with ebay. This is the third email I've sent regarding this issue,
    please act with some small degree of professionalism.

---

My response:

Hi ****, a few things:

1. Yes I have a high volume of items and customers to answer questions to. I am catching up on a few things, so my apolgies for missing your first couple of messages, I was not ignoring you, and I enjoy interacting with my thousands of customers.

2. My records indicate you paid on 1/22 and the item was shipped on 1/25. You paid $4 for media mail. The item was shipped with tracking, and the information is as follows:Label/Receipt Number: **** **** **** ****
    Status: Processed. Your item was processed and left our CA facility on January 27, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I expect the item to arrive in Atlanta no later than this coming week. Please let me know if it does not arrive.

3. Please keep in mind I am shipping from California. I am not sure where the other items you purchased were shipped from or what kind of shipping you paid for.

Thanks, I will leave positive feedback and hope you do the same once you receive the record this week.

---

I shipped the record a few days after he paid and he paid media. My employee is just starting to work part-time. Life is hard sometimes.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This idea of an online community for records and record selling should be integrated with discogs, for sure.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    our CA facility

This might actually be worse than referring to oneself in the third person.