The Romney Whisper

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Who's got theories? I'm most interested in hearing from our right-wing contingent on this one.

from: http://rawstory.com/news/2007/MSNBC_blames_Romney_whisper_on_microphone_0125.htmlUPDATE: 'No way of knowing' who whispered, MSNBC saysThe whisper that could be heard just before an answer from Mitt Romney at Thursday's Republican debate was the result of a microphone malfunction, an MSNBC spokesman tells RAW STORY, but its source remains a mystery.Just before Romney answered a question about Ronald Reagan's 1983 Social Security overhaul, a voice can be heard whispering, either "He raised taxes" or "not raise taxes." The overheard musing was the result of an open microphone somewhere, but a spokesman said the whisperer has not been identified."We heard the same thing you heard," MSNBC VP for Communications Jeremy Gaines told RAW STORY via e-mail Friday afternoon. "There was obviously an open mike which picked up the whisper, but we have no way of knowing who did the whispering."Gaines also said the network would replace a post that "shouldn't have been removed" from its First Read blog. The post is available here with an editor's note attached."We thought it might have simply been our control room cueing a question, which then didn???t seem to warrant a post, since that would be very inside baseball. So, I took it down," NBC's Domenico Montanaro wrote at First Read."As far as figuring out the mystery of who or where it came from, that is being worked on, and we hope to have an answer soon," Montanaro continued. "It puzzled us here too, and we???re looking through tape of other candidates to see if it was one of them. We???ll let you know."Earlier Friday, Gaines said the whisper was simply the result of "audio issues," but he revised that statement after returning to New York from the debate site in Florida and watching a tape of the proceedings.Moderator Tim Russert asked Romney if he would "do what Ronald Reagan did in 1983" to fix Social Security. Immediately after Russert's question, someone can be heard whispering what sounds like, "He raised taxes," although Montanaro said MSNBC believed the whisperer said "not raise taxes."It's unclear whether Romney heard the voice, but he quickly answered, "I'm not going to raise taxes."Romney's campaign has not respond to requests for comment.Some bloggers are accusing the former Massachusetts Governor of shenanigans."Some have speculated that the whisper is a prompt for Russert to add on the rest of the question, "raised taxes," to what Russert said about Reagan, but listen to how incredibly fast the whisper comes after Russert finishes his sentence. Seems mighty fast to have been someone trying to get Russert to finish the question - how does the whisperer know that Russert is done? It sounds much more like a prompt for Mitt," wrote blogger Steward Rhodes."Recalls ???the bulge??? from the Bush/Kerry debates doesn???t it?" mused Rolling Stone's Tim Dickinson, referring to a debate in which President Bush appeared to have some sort of transmitter or other device underneath his suit jacket.Commenters on MNSBC's First Read blog also noticed the incident, although the network removed a post referencing the whisper from its Web site before replacing it Friday afternoon.RAW STORY enhanced the audio in the following video to make the whisper easier to hear.The following screenshot of MSNBC's first read was posted at the liberal forum, Democratic Underground, before MSNBC took it down.The following thumbnail screenshot of MSNBC's First Read was posted at the liberal forum, Democratic Underground, before MSNBC took it down. Click for full size.

Comments

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Who's got theories? I'm most interested in hearing from our right-wing contingent on this one.

He cheated, it's as simple as that. He's done when this gets investigated properly.
    So my theory is that he wore a wireless earpiece and the transmitter interfered with his wireless mic (which was malfunctioning according to MSNBC) and that's why you could hear the whisper twice during the debate.
    This Romney whisper will be bigger than Howard Dean's Scream.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn.

reminds me of the bush box... similar tactics.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    yeah, hopefully he's toast. I dunno though, its seems kind of blatant to wear an ear piece on stage at a nationally televised debate. Wouldn't somebody notice it right away? or do they make them that small and camouflage these days?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

This Romney whisper will be bigger than Howard Dean's Scream.

Keep dreaming.

I mean, it should be--one completely stupid "incident" leading to downfall deserves another, right?--but it won't happen.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Damn.

Get outta here with that -- that "box" simply was the way his suit was cut. He fired his tailor after that gaph. End of story.

P.S. I watched almost the entire exclusive interview that Fox ran with W. last night. It was some of the worst shit I have ever seen. The newscaster was finishing Bush's sentences five minutes into it, actually gave him a BJ near the end right after Bush compared himself to Lincoln.

Orrrr maybe they all wear wires and its just kind of like an little industry secret amongst them all. Either way, just look at Mitt's dumbfounded expression while the question is being posed. I think it's apparent that the whisper was intended to save his ass.

Damn.

He fired his tailor after that gaph. .

Yeah, because he didn't conceal the box.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'd vote for a candidate that said..... "I don't know the answer to that question but I will have an answer for you at the next debate after I do some research"

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'd vote for a candidate that said..... "wait a sec. ... the answer is coming in right now"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'd vote for a candidate that said..... "I don't know the answer to that question but I will have an answer for you at the next debate after I do some research"

I guess we'll just have to settle for one who does his "research" on the fly.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'd vote for a candidate that said..... "wait a sec. ... I didn't have my hearing aid turned on."

We miss you, Admiral Stockdale.

• I'd vote for a candidate that said..... "I don't know the answer to that question but I will have an answer for you at the next debate after I do some research"

"I have to ask my manager!"

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    bush box[/b]

You said bush box...

Ok joking aside, does this sort of thing really surprise people, seriously? I am not saying its ok. But I'm just saying, does it really surprise you? I figure its standard practice and has been for some years now, for all candidates...