The Handshake

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I just realized this has been covered on TV when Hank Hill meets George W Bush.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    BUT the WORST offender in my book is the motherfucker who doesn't look you in the eye when shaking hands. Instantly red flagged as a person with weak character or (worse) a person who cannot be trusted.

In many countries looking someone in the eye is extremely disrespectful, step ya culture game up.

• Well, if those folks wanna continue to live in the dark ages (or continue to act like Tom Cruise), that's their problem. We're discussing acceptable social practices for people who live in a modern society.

• In many countries looking someone in the eye is extremely disrespectful, step ya culture game up.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Well, if those folks wanna continue to live in the dark ages (or continue to act like Tom Cruise), that's their problem. We're discussing acceptable social practices for people who live in a modern society.

Because snapping fingers with another grown man is so grown.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The most disturbing is the sopping wet noodle handshake.

I gotta say that I'm guilty of this sometimes, I've had that problem since I was a child and it has nothing to do with being nervous or untrust worthy, it's a physical problem (at least for some) and it SUCKS to have it. I've tried to remedy it many times to no avail, sometimes it's okay, other times it's bad and I try and avoid the handshake all together, trust me I know how nagl it is, which makes it worse.

Huge co-sign on the "hip hop" hand shake, please dead that shit all ready.

• Well, if those folks wanna continue to live in the dark ages (or continue to act like Tom Cruise), that's their problem. We're discussing acceptable social practices for people who live in a modern society.

Because snapping fingers with another grown man is so grown.

Hey, I don't make the rules, dude.

Furthermore, I'm not necessarily dissing other cultures. However, there is something to be said about body language. Not looking someone in the eye almost makes it seem as though they have something to hide.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was at a baptism on Saturday and didn't dry my hands as good as I could have after washing up in the church bathroom, then had to greet two family members of my GF with the partial-wet shake. Oof! I bit my lip instead of offering the custumary "It's water not piss" modifier. That only makes matters worse.

My favorite is the left-hand shake. I most recently experienced this with the brother of said GF -- who offered his left hand because of all the scar tissue on his right hand/arm after a suicide attempt.

Usually, the left-hander is a somewhat comical twist on the classic shake. Always throws me for a loop, and I am left handed. Somehow I like the fact that I can keep my left hand clean; one of the few benefits society offers us.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

In many countries looking someone in the eye is extremely disrespectful, step ya culture game up.

I'd like to know what culture treats looking someone in the eye as disrespectful.

My job allows me to meet and train sales people from all over the world and I have never heard nor experienced this.

I've been in situations where in a group of people you should address the eldest female of the group(Mainland China)......and I know about how the Japanese make meeting someone and presenting them with their business card a grand production(Which I love)......but I've never been told that looking someone in the eye is disrespectful.....and I've taken courses in International Sales Techniques.

Plaese to educate me.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of my most memorable and firmest handshakes was from country singer Billy Joe Shaver who only has three fingers on his right hand.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I was at a baptism on Saturday and didn't dry my hands as good as I could have after washing up in the church bathroom, then had to greet two family members of my GF with the partial-wet shake. Oof! I bit my lip instead of offering the custumary "It's water not piss" modifier. That only makes matters worse.

Ah, but this can actually be a good thing when greeting friends. Just make sure you hold the grip firmly and say "That's piss."

Oh, and don't forget to look directly into their eyes as you say it. Otherwise it would be disrespectful.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I shook Dickey Betts hand once, and it was gianormous and felt like one big callous.

• I'd like to know what culture treats looking someone in the eye as disrespectful.

outside of america, i cant think of one

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why the hating on the hip hop handshake?

Just cause you feel hella akward about it?

Anyways, the fist bump "im out, peace" gesture is still pretty acceptable around here with people you already know. Plus its slightly more sanitary.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    I'd like to know what culture treats looking someone in the eye as disrespectful.

outside of america[/b], i cant think of one

by this you're referring to north american first nations culture? eye contact can = disrespect. only example i know of. any qur'anic rules?

• I'd like to know what culture treats looking someone in the eye as disrespectful.

by this you're referring to north american first nations culture? eye contact can = disrespect. only example i know of. any qur'anic rules?

huh? no im talking about them weird american celebrities that have weird rules about refering to themselves in the third person or no one can make eye contact with them. theres prolly more people in this country with this hang up than anywhere else.

like, try walking in certain parts of LA just indiscriminantly looking at folks. u will be stopped.

or spend an evening in weho with a gaybasher and watch him flip when dudes make eye contact. the male gaze? i mean, how pissed do women get about this. im not saying its right or wrong, but american culture has some issues with the gaze.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

huh? no im talking about them weird american celebrities that have weird rules about refering to themselves in the third person or no one can make eye contact with them. theres prolly more people in this country with this hang up than anywhere else.

like, try walking in certain parts of LA just indiscriminantly looking at folks. u will be stopped.

or spend an evening in weho with a gaybasher and watch him flip when dudes make eye contact. the male gaze? i mean, how pissed do women get about this. im not saying its right or wrong, but american culture has some issues with the gaze.

randomly gazing at fools is not the same as looking in someones eye when you shake their hand. If you cant make eye contact when you are making introductions with someone, thats a problem.

randomly gazing at fools is not the same as looking in someones eye when you shake their hand. If you cant make eye contact when you are making introductions with someone, thats a problem.

sure, but the question was "what culture treats looking someone in the eye as disrespectful". mentions nothing about handshakes and the like. im just saying, folks are touchy about how and who u look at around here.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    "hip hop" hand shake

aka the thug-hug.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

huh? no im talking about them weird american celebrities that have weird rules about refering to themselves in the third person or no one can make eye contact with them.

What is the proper way to shake Mariah's hand if one has the good fortune to meet her?

• Grab her by the rack and smile

• Grab her by the rack and smile

thats just plain disrispecfull. what u do is look directly into her cleavage and outstretch your hand. there is no shaking involved, she just looks at your hand and takes a sip from the pepsi the girl is holding for her

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

My job allows me to meet and train sales people from all over the world and I have never heard nor experienced this.

I've been in situations where in a group of people you should address the eldest female of the group(Mainland China)......and I know about how the Japanese make meeting someone and presenting them with their business card a grand production(Which I love)......but I've never been told that looking someone in the eye is disrespectful.....and I've taken courses in International Sales Techniques.

Plaese to educate me.

Indigenous groups of central america from costa rica, panama, nicaragua... although i have heard this about some african tribes as well.

• In many countries looking someone in the eye is extremely disrespectful, step ya culture game up.

Plaese to educate me.

Indigenous groups of central america from costa rica, panama, nicaragua... although i have heard this about some african tribes as well.

These people are indigenous and most likely do not have record collections... so who gives a shit? Fuck them and their strange customs...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    i have no issues with any sort of greeting or physical contact during introductions, when i meet someone and they are having troubles with a handshake/eye contact/formalities I normally chalk it up to cultural differences and don't let it stop me from getting to know that person.

introductions are always somewhat awkward and forced, so why not save all that for after y'all have spent some time together, why even bother with it up front, half the people gonna forget anyways.

the whole firm handshake/eye contact shit is so white judgmental bullshit, "awww nawww don't trust that dude, he's a freak, probably one of dem gays". you know the next question is gonna be "so what do you do" "where do you live" "have you been to that new museum exhibit"

fuck that, i'd rather hang out with someone that refuses to shake my hand. for example, some of the rastas i know, never the handshake always the pound, sanitary shit.

oh and my comments relating to eye contact is not avoiding eye contact altogether, it is making eye contact and then looking away.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

These people are indigenous and most likely do not have record collections... so who gives a shit? Fuck them and their strange customs...

tell that to frank broseph.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Plaese to educate me.

Yeah, they probably don't shake hands either. Please to take the indigenous peoples etiquette discussion to the "What do I do if I encounter a Maori tribesman whilst collecting coconuts?" thread.

• Just make sure you hold the grip firmly and say "That's piss."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

outside of america, i cant think of one

In Anishinaabe culture, it is a sign of disrespect to look people in the eyes.