Erykah Badu's "Honey" video.

13»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think in terms of tracks leaked "Healer" (produced by Madlib) > "Honey." I hope more songs are like the former than the latter.

I'm definitely feeling Healer too. Badu goes Black Ark on that one. Honey is more by-the-numbers (Starbucks-friendly?). I can get with both.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    that record store looks exactly like Rockaway records in Silverlake. Either that or its a store with the exact same floor plan. Can Cali strutters that have been there can verify?

you're right - it is indeed Rockaway. I had no idea first seeing the video though. but when I was talking to a friend of the store's about the video - he asked "oh the one they shot at Rockaway?" Bizarre - looks nothing like Rockaway to me off first glance.

• that record store looks exactly like Rockaway records in Silverlake. Either that or its a store with the exact same floor plan. Can Cali strutters that have been there can verify?

you're right - it is indeed Rockaway. I had no idea first seeing the video though. but when I was talking to a friend of the store's about the video - he asked "oh the one they shot at Rockaway?" Bizarre - looks nothing like Rockaway to me off first glance.

I knew it! I had to watch it a couple times but the $2.99 section made me immediatly assume it was Rockaway. It's not everyday you see a $2.99 section

• (Starbucks-friendly?)

I call all music of this variety latte-beat.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm surprised no one has hatted on this.

I'll step up. No hatt, but meh. Not a fan of hers as it is - the song is nice enough and the video is a good idea, but a little too shiny or obvious or something. Would have worked better if the whole thing was in colour and those covers were a little less popping. Why the big mystery about her own face? Carrying the G Jones to the cash looks clunky - who are you hiding from? And the fluttering fingers are annoying. There.

• I'm surprised no one has hatted on this.

I'll step up. No hatt, but meh. Not a fan of hers as it is - the song is nice enough and the video is a good idea, but a little too shiny or obvious or something. Would have worked better if the whole thing was in colour and those covers were a little less popping. Why the big mystery about her own face? Carrying the G Jones to the cash looks clunky - who are you hiding from? And the fluttering fingers are annoying. There.

thank you for opening the flood gates. I never really had much love for her.

and I agree walking to the register holding that shit up next to her face looked stupid.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I got 2 tribe shirts that I wear on the regular

you pulling it off rike this?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've seen the video a few times. Can't remember how the song goes, but her ass is bangin'!

• Great video, great song!

...a 9th Wonder beat that doesn't bore me to tears, never thought I'd see the day.

Anyone got a rip of the OG?

Nancy Wilson "I'm In Love" (of the "Music On My Mind" LP Capitol 1978)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9fu0wi

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Great video, great song!

...a 9th Wonder beat that doesn't bore me to tears, never thought I'd see the day.

wheres the little synthy thing?
    thats the best part.
    i refuse to believe 9th had live overdubs!

so official!
    what was the imma boss record supposed to be?

It's based on an obscure private-press LP that came out a while back. The lead vocalist of a moderately-successful Sarnia, ONT female Vocal Pop group dropped it (I think they did "Heat Wave," or something), and it's been coveted by beat-heads ever since.

I can't recall her name, though. A little help, folks?

Damn Luck, you had me laughing hard

some of you are not using the ol' noggin...remember, they are doing a lot of "play on words"

Can I get a Shakey Wilson and the Shakettes full album in the near future? Damn that was hot. It's like the sexy reverse of the sequence where Malkovich goes into the portal into his own psyche.

oh shit!
    i just saw this post.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Great video, great song!

thats the best part.

about to say the same thing. I was bumping the instrumental on headphones and really listening to it closely I guess he had some session players play over the samples, real good job.

^^^^^^^

Great video, great song!

thats the best part.

about to say the same thing. I was bumping the instrumental on headphones and really listening to it closely I guess he had some session players play over the samples, real good job.

^^^^^^^

i know.
    it's just...it sounds so raw. but i need to hear the badu shit again now that ive listened to the source.

of course the clip is deleted and my hard drives are off.

i'm becoming obsessed with this song. how can people who love hip hop not be down with 9th wonder?

JEEZ
    the singer in that band looks like my junior high algebra teacher.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

about to say the same thing. I was bumping the instrumental on headphones and really listening to it closely I guess he B>she/B> had some session players play over the samples, real good job.

9th don't know nothing about no damn session players.

• I got 2 tribe shirts that I wear on the regular

you pulling it off rike this?

^^^^

the reason why "golden era" rap t-shirt bands are embarassing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the video is not the only aesthetically pleasing thing about her new release

Peep the artwork (scroll down)

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    anybody got a nice quality MP3 of this? can't find one anywhere...