Important Hip Hop 12"s.........

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

kurtis pretty much turned rap on it's head

why is that a Warlock classic? Mantronix was on Sleeping Bag.

does Warlock just buy up catalog shit and label it as their own classic?

maybe this is a better fit for something off Warlock.

• Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks on Me

I agree.

Yeah, my explanation for that one would have to be...the incorporation of the NWA scheme outside of LA, which was enough to blow up city after city following the same blueprint. Of course Houston and other cities weren't just biting as new spins were certainly put on NWA, but the inspiration certainly couldn't be avoided. Another important 12" that comes to mind in such a light is: MC Breed - Ain't No Future in Yo Frontin.

this seems like a stretch. can u explain more?

Not sure what you're thinking is a stretch. Houston rap had been around for a bit, but remained squarely local until J.Prince was able to push his latest version of the Geto Boys into matching the immediacy of NWA. The Bushwick shooting publicity sure didn't hurt the cause, but that was just something else that went under the guise of shocking the fuck out of your audience, NWA-style.

Plus, something I've always maintained is how much LA gangsta rap had such a commanding influence on Down South rap. The Too $hort/2 Live Crew/Showboys/Mantronix flavor would eventually come to dominate the Southern sound, but back in the late-80's/early-90's much of the South was very much riveted by coming as close as it could come to replicating Straight Outta Compton.

In fact, we didn't have to look much further than D.O.C. who practically overnight went from an average Dallas rapper from Fila Fresh Crew to a "whirlwind pyramid" cohort of Dr. Dre.

a stretch because you dont really say much as far as being a important hip hop 12". an important houston 12" and a great record, yes. but it sounds like youre saying its important cuz it was the first to how do u say "bit the blowed"? i mean, i guess thats important that they were one of the first to do that but it says more about the influence of nwa and how important their 12"s were.

Well, all I can say to you at this point is don't underestimate how important the success of Minds Playing Tricks weighed for those in cities like New Orleans and Cleveland who were then able to confirm their initial suspisions that yes, if we can just model ourselves after NWA just like Houston did...there is a future for us in this rap shit.

i see what youre saying but your argument still essentially boils down to how important the nwa 12s are.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

From my view, Das Efz along with Fu Schnickens certainly got their iggidy styles bitten hard...but only for a short minute.

I believe the correct phrasing is stiggedy stylez...

From my view, Das Efz along with Fu Schnickens certainly got their iggidy styles bitten hard...but only for a short minute.

I believe the correct phrasing is stiggedy stylez...

Vaguely related: is this a figment of my imagination or did diggedy Das actually employ the ill-conceived simile "I camp like John Cougar Mellon" on their second album? It's been close to fifteen years since this record passed rapidly in and out of my possession.

Even less related: When Jay boasts that he will "coldplay like Chris," what is he referring to? i.e., what is the non Coldplay-related secondary meaning of "coldplay"? Thanks in advance, my little tepid pop rock dudes.

• this thread is about to spiral...

Lyrical change/Production change/Influential record covers/Retro rap/random rap/whatever..... :

On the lyrical change tip, I guess we shouldn't overlook late 90's art-rap 12's like Bottle of Humans by Sole.

No, I guess we should. In fact, I know we should.

You can't hate on all that album though, what?

Oh, but I can...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    this thread is about to spiral...

Lyrical change/Production change/Influential record covers/Retro rap/random rap/whatever..... :

On the lyrical change tip, I guess we shouldn't overlook late 90's art-rap 12's like Bottle of Humans by Sole.

No, I guess we should. In fact, I know we should.

You might want to overlook it when you're trying to pick what records to bring out for the night, but I'm sure you don't want to overlook it when you're telling people what records you love to hate the most...(still paging hemol)

I've never even heard them, nor has rap's core audience.

Therefore = not game-changing.

• late 90's art-rap 12's
    late 90's art-rap 12's
    late 90's art-rap 12's
    late 90's art-rap 12's
    late 90's art-rap 12's
    late 90's art-rap 12's

• faux_rillz = the game ?

holy wow!

• Therefore = not game-changing.

Dude, you're in here hating on something you've never even heard. That right there is evidence they've made some kind of difference to the game.

good point

holy wow!

faux_rillz is a pretty good exemplar of the standard view of knowledgeable dudes in the game.

i heard that like most knowledgeable dudes in the game, he lives in a castle.

holy wow!

faux_rillz is a pretty good exemplar of the standard view of knowledgeable dudes in the game.

oops, sorry, we're talking about the record game. i meant he lives in a van down by the river. is this true?

• i heard that like most knowledgeable dudes in the game, he lives in a castle.

WHY OH WHY DO WE BUILD CASTLES IN THE SKY WAY UP HIGH

Therefore = not game-changing.

Dude, you're in here hating on something you've never even heard. That right there is evidence they've made some kind of difference to the game.

Are you little dudes really this dense?

I am not "hating"; I said nothing about these records being bad.

I merely said that they were irrelevant.

Not that the "Someone somewhere actually has heard it and formed a negative opinion of it so it must have changed the game in some way" argument really carries any logical weight anyway.

• Even less related: When Jay boasts that he will "coldplay like Chris," what is he referring to? i.e., what is the non Coldplay-related secondary meaning of "coldplay"? Thanks in advance, my little tepid pop rock dudes.

i believe it's a reference to the lead singer/pianist/songwriter whose name is Chris (dude married to Gweneth Paltrow), no?

in that case there is no non-coldplay secondary meaning to this line.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    faux_rillz = the game ?

holy wow!

oops, sorry, we're talking about the record game. i meant he lives in a van down by the river. is this true?

He down there with his peoples

• Hijack : Hold No Hostage/Doomsday Of Rap

• I pulled out STETSASONIC - Talkin All That Jazz.. today and i realized how crucial to the game this song was. Dudes addressed sampling at a time when the game was just beginning to be scutinized for jackin beats. The remix has that classic Mtume interview added to the intro.

"tell the truth, James Brown got old, 'till Eric B.& Rakim came out w/ ...SOUL.."

There's a gang of songs that really helped shape the game in all areas...name some of your favs....omit record sales pleez.

Lyrical change/Production change/Influential record covers/Retro rap/random rap/whatever.....

"Talking All That Jazz" was the first 12" i thought of..Great pick

There's just way too many classic 12's to even talk about..

Public Enemy's "You're Gonna Get Yours" with the Terminator X "Getaway Scratch Version"

Stezo's It's My Turn/To The Max 12" is another one

Could go on forever

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    FUCK COMPTON....

Ultra/Tim Dog 12" lit a fire under the West Coast and created a "rivalry".

The Chronic/Snoops first joint/CMW/NWA responded to this 12" on their albums.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    : Do or Die - Po Pimpin'.

From my view, Das Efz along with Fu Schnickens certainly got their iggidy styles bitten hard...but only for a short minute. Whereas that other more thorough i.e. chopped style (best perfected back then by Twista, P.E.A.C.E., and Brotha Lynch Hung) still gets used today on the regular by plenty of rappers.

I don't know this cut, but the intertubes tell me that it came out in '96. Was their style influenced by Das Efx/Fu? If so, then the credit goes to the originators. If not, Do or Die originated their own thing, which deserves its own respect, but does not subtract from any respect owed to Das Efx/Fu Schnickens.

Umm, you are missing far too many pieces of the puzzle to be drawing any conclusions on who originated whichever strands of speed rap. Anyway, here's Po Pimpin':

Any tongue-flipping siggety-singles off Das Efx's first album. A zillion people copied that style. (Not a long term change in the game though...it died out after a couple years. Thankfully.)

Mic Checka?
    Jussumen?
    They Want EFX?

What else came out on 12"? Looseys?

I wouldnt cast all their singles as important. Just They Want EFX, which many cats incorporated, along w/ the freeform association style they used. All over the place referencing....etc.

I'll take that, but at least add Mic Checka to the list...that had the hardest tongue-flipping styles, as I recall:

"wiggety-wow, giggety gadzooks here we go so,
    fliggety-flame-on, g-geronimo, so...etc.

Nah. Mic Checka was just a follow up. Cats had ackowledged the new style by the first 12". Its not like dudes were like "Oh shit, now we really have to copy this delivery after Mic Checka...." It was a done deal after the debut.
    And u cant really say that MIc Checka was some next level shit for Das, where they outdid themselves from the first joint. Also ur not gonna tell some newjack u have to own both singles. The first one chronicles their style perfectly. Anything after that is just gravy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wu Tang Clan - Protect Ya Neck

For most of us, it was Protect Ya Neck along with M-E-T-H-O-D Man...but however you slice it, as crucial indie release and/or birth of a monstrous movement...ish hit haaaaaaard.

I've been meaning to strike up a conversation on Wu Tang's first wave connections to Houston, by way of Will Strickland and Crazy C. But I'd probably need each of Cashless, The Are, and Matt Sonzala to be in on that conversation or it'd be worthless.

Wu Tang Clan - Protect Ya Neck

Yes. Production((back to the dirty) Crew/Retro/Pass the mic/steez Kung Fu...so many levels of importance.

Method Man was that sing-a-long hit, that really put them into the stratosphere.

Good fuckin call. This record made it OK for white people to be black.

None of my Caucasoid buddies responded to this at all.

faux_rillz = the game ?

holy wow!

He down there with his peoples

I JUST REDISCOVERED THAT ALBUM

Good fuckin call. This record made it OK for white people to be black.

None of my Caucasoid buddies responded to this at all.

I don't think anybody did... dudes are really struggling with the concept of "game changing"

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I vote for:

Prototype for what became the dominant sound of mid 80's hip-hop, first big single on the most dominant label of the era, first single for one of the most influential producers of all time. A classic and genre defining record for anyone who was around back then.