DJ Shadow+Cut Chemist = Hard Sell

13»

Comments

• okay, seen it.

i think i remember liking kid koala a long time ago, i guess that's changed. but still, respect.

the first set was wild. too good. that jvc force tribute was the best. lots of good head-knods and all too familiar sounds that i like. i never was really into shadow, and i think brainfreeze and that preemptive strike album are the only things i heard from dude (always was a chemist fan) but dudes got busy and i was diggin it.

the second set wasn't me, but i'm always down for some mind expandin ish so yes, i was feelin it in its own way too. the visuals to both sets were crazy, that's all i was lookin at. but WTF to that random "flash" of RP Cola's first album, shit had me laughin for a second.

worst atmosphere ever though. i don't understand why the crowd was going wild for some of the tracks (like the jean jacques) cause i wouldn't expect none of em to know what the hell they were listening too. i basically felt like i was at a giant one room frat party. it was either A) these lame prep lookin trust fund kids in jeans and a sport coat (gross! dead that look seinfeld) or B) your typical fat, bearded, stoner cats with their hands in their hoodies all night. there was no one else there besides those 2 types. and women? forget about it, the only ones there were the ones with Brad and his buddies, who probably wanted to hear something more "edgy". this new city i'm in has no diversity...or old wooden ships.

shouts to the slackin-ass bouncers for not seeing me sneak into the VIP! and to the "big baller" in there, peace to your girl for giving me a wink over your shoulder. she woulda gotten more than just my bar tab if her eclectic dance moves didn't disgust me.

• It's a CHATTANOOGA[/b] 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's a CHATTANOOGA[/b] 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

Stubblefield-R? Chattanooga's native son!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    peace to your girl for giving me a wink over your shoulder. she woulda gotten more than just my bar tab if her eclectic dance moves didn't disgust me.

• WTF is this?

I originally wondered if it was a loop but watching this again: definitely not.

It's a Georgia 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

Soul Express - Determination

But you knew that. I had the chance to buy one for ??500 a year or 2 back but had to pay me some bills first

this is still right?

• Well,
    I got my hands on the encore version of The Hard Sell... really think this is quite an improvement from the Hollywood Bowl version. Tt doesn't include two hilarious highlights: the oft mentioned turntable guitar solo thing at the end of the show and the ridiculous Gilligan's Island/Stairway to Heaven thing and it also lacks the really nice Flamingo's version of 'I only have eyes for you' but it does have all the really bumpin cool shit plus more.

Can't wait to see it.

The stairway to gilligan's island is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N48bRjJZLBs

Oh I've got that Marva Whitney joint on a double sided plain white label in a stamped Forte sleeve. Whats the deal with that? Someone said it came out on King as well with a title

• Band history from http://cdbaby.com/cd/littleroger :

Roger Clark and Dick Bright performed and recorded together from 1973 to 1983 as Little Roger & The Goosebumps and throughout the Western states were renowned for their quirky, rude and corny songs in a nutsy stage act.

???Top marks go to Little Roger & The Goosebumps, the kind of unpredictable high energy band the West Coast is known for.???
    Playboy Magazine 1976

Whoah, my oldest brother played with them. Not on the record though. That 45 wasn't even in stores long enough to get much circulation before it was pulled. I imagine DJs and band members held on to copies.

Their schtick was a faux-Carson "Tonight Show"- this is before Letterman came along, before SCTV had Bobby Bittman.

• joostjoost 46 Posts

Oh I've got that Marva Whitney joint on a double sided plain white label in a stamped Forte sleeve. Whats the deal with that? Someone said it came out on King as well with a title

what's it called again?

• Oh I've got that Marva Whitney joint on a double sided plain white label[/b] in a stamped Forte sleeve. Whats the deal with that? Someone said it came out on King as well with a title

what's it called again?

thats what I'm trying to find out

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Is that record any good?? Cuz they're here in Montreal on tuesday and I'm not 100% convinced about it yet....
    any sites were I can listen to it?

I saw the show in Anaheim last night and I have to say it's not the same WITHOUT the visuals. The visuals and live show "make" the music make sense. All the stuff done live on 8 turntables, effects, and visuals...sick, sick stuff.

It was funny for Shadow to call out some hecklers from the crowd at the end: "okay right after us will be a dj playing all hip hop hits, kanye west"

They did the Charlene bit, the Metallica portable shred...it was what I expected and more.

Basically, go see them and support live music.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    and kid koala is opening up for them. his set is extra dope!

yes dope.

• It's a CHATTANOOGA[/b] 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

My mistake actually. I was referring to another record which I think they're using with a very similar break, which IS a GA 45. I stand corrected.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Finally caught this show last week. Dug it but could see how this went over most everyone elses head. Visuals were cool... Only thing was were off to the side and had a blocking view of the stage so it was hard to see a lot of the "hands-on" / foot pedal action...

• on a random ass side note, i just saw "Juno" and the part of the chemistry teacher is played by... Cut Chemist!?! i recognized dude as he spoke his line(s?) but waited till the credits to find out if i was on crack. pretty funny.

• got the Hard Sell(Encore) CD last week, tweaked version of the original. Cuts out the 1930s shit & that horrible Charlene track, added a few more hip hop recreations & a dope couple of minutes dedicated to tracks about Atari/old video games...

• why were you watching "Juno"?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    why were you watching "Juno"?

whats wrong with watching juno?

• why were you watching "Juno"?

whats wrong with watching juno?

i don't know...isn't it for young teenagers? like some hannah montana shit, only with pregnancy as the end result?

if it's anything like 'eastern promise' was to pregnancy, let me know. cause i liked that film, except for the rape.