DJ Shadow+Cut Chemist = Hard Sell

Comments

• thanks

and this is great.

double daps

Mark it on the calender:

February, 13 2008 at Grand Ballroom @ The Regency Centre, SF, CA

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1C003F8CEF1994EE?artistid=1114788&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=201

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Funny thing is I had a little spare time this after noon and as I'm walkig in to one of the local record stores there's Kid Koala and Cut Chemist on the stair case loooking at Shadow trying to convince the clerk to let him check out their 45's which are in the backroom(off access to customers).
    Luckily someone I met the other day told me that she was on the VIP list and that if she couldnt make it she would put my name +1 instead . So hopefully that will work out.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Delay, Dreskiboogie, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

Name droppeur!

• if they won't sell 45s to Shadow then who are they looking to sell them to

• Delay, dreskieboogie SOME DUDE FROM LIKE GREENLAND OR SOMETHING, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

Name droppeur!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Delay, dreskieboogie SOME DUDE FROM LIKE GREENLAND OR SOMETHING, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

Name droppeur!

Yeah plus that dude shows up EVERYWHERE!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    if they won't sell 45s to Shadow then who are they looking to sell them to
    apparetly it's only via their website...the owner is a tight ass...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this sounds like something to get high to. so far so good.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Delay, dreskieboogie SOME DUDE FROM LIKE GREENLAND OR SOMETHING, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

Name droppeur!

not from greenland, thats my homie, the globetrotter, he's from a city called DOPENHAGEN!!!!

whadup dressoooo, long time no see

• Delay, dreskieboogie SOME DUDE FROM LIKE GREENLAND OR SOMETHING, and L. Michels in the VIP section.

Name droppeur!

not from greenland, thats my homie, the globetrotter, he's from a city called DOPENHAGEN!!!!

WORD! DOPENHAGEN..THAT'S LIKE RIGHT BY THE CZECH REPUBLIC RIGHT?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    be nice

Wtf is this "Charlene" song? This sounds Soulmarcosa related

• be nice

Wtf is this "Charlene" song? This sounds Soulmarcosa related

When Dres was out here in the bay him, "Hairy Bitch-a-fonte", and I all went for a night of checkers and rootbeer (read:cheeba and fernet) and the whole night I kept forgetting and asking "heeeey maaan, you're from like.....finland or germany right, maaaaaan?".

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Name droppeur!

WORD! DOPENHAGEN..THAT'S LIKE RIGHT BY THE CZECH REPUBLIC RIGHT?

located in a country that just won the european championship for men's handball (NO AYO!!!)

• Damn, its that young dude Phonics again Frickin' shit up. HAHA! Oh man, the Bay treated me good except for that night in San Jose where the doorman said "cant let you in... we dont accept passports as ID". Seriously WTF?

By the way Phonics have you heard Shorts new album? Whats it like?

Whats UP-skiboo? Are you going to Crillo tonight?

Sorry for the hijack.

Peace,

Dress

• That Metallica thing they did with the GP3s was nuts!

Can someone describe this in detail?

Kind of hard for me to describe since I'm not really sure what the hell they were doing (my view wasn't so great), but basically Cut Chemist was playing the guitar part of a Metallica song by scratching on the GP3.

"chink-chinka-chink-chinkachinkachink-chinka-chink.."

It was awesome.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'm going to this shit in LA! Holleur, batches.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    Here's what I know:

The current set they do for The Hard Sell is different from the one they did at Hollywood Bowl and various european places.

The cd that is available now (shopdjshadow.com but also hmv.co.uk if I'm right) is a recording of rehearsals for the Hollywood Bowl show.

For this new tour, they wanted the set to be longer and different+better in places. And that's exactly what you get when you're going to see it live.

It gets even better:
    it seems that "The Hard Sell (Encore)" CD is being sold at shows. It is an enhanced version of the cd / hollywood bowl set with a lot of the stuff that was added to the show. If you are going to the shows you have to pick it up.

My guess: it's going to be part of the Hollywood Bowl DVD package.

here are some nice videos from the current tour:
    http://www.solesides.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3517

videos, shot by Ben Stokes:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/buttsplice

hope this sums it all up.

I'm going to the Amsterdam show, march 21. Looks like I'll be shaking hands with Josh&Luke that night, just like after the Amsterdam gig last july.

oh, and Kid Koala is the support act. How about that for a friday night out

• this definitely takes some talent to keep it rolling this smooth with all the different sources.

• do they use Rane TTM56 or 57?

• yeah i think i'll go to the show since there ain't nothin else to do during the week. it's next week in the city i'm in right now. $20 had me kinda turned off at first, so i hope there's cheap drinks at this joint.

get my bacardi razz on and holler at some sloots, "yo girl...i got this record"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WTF is this?

I originally wondered if it was a loop but watching this again: definitely not.

• yeah I wondered what it was too. Seems so long for a 45, but I think that's the point of them taking the drink break in front of the crowd. Kind of like "look how long this shit is, we can take a break." very punny as well.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    this definitely takes some talent to keep it rolling this smooth with all the different sources.

Damn.

Evidently they're in Chicago this Friday and the shit is sold out. I didn't even know about it. I probably couldn't get the wife to go with me anyway.

But still, Van Damme!

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Here's what I know:

The current set they do for The Hard Sell is different from the one they did at Hollywood Bowl and various european places.

The cd that is available now (shopdjshadow.com but also hmv.co.uk if I'm right) is a recording of rehearsals for the Hollywood Bowl show.

For this new tour, they wanted the set to be longer and different+better in places. And that's exactly what you get when you're going to see it live.

It gets even better:
    it seems that "The Hard Sell (Encore)" CD is being sold at shows. It is an enhanced version of the cd / hollywood bowl set with a lot of the stuff that was added to the show. If you are going to the shows you have to pick it up.

My guess: it's going to be part of the Hollywood Bowl DVD package.

here are some nice videos from the current tour:
    http://www.solesides.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3517

videos, shot by Ben Stokes:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/buttsplice

hope this sums it all up.

I'm going to the Amsterdam show, march 21. Looks like I'll be shaking hands with Josh&Luke that night, just like after the Amsterdam gig last july.

oh, and Kid Koala is the support act. How about that for a friday night out

thanx for the info. i'll be seeing them at the house Prince built this Monday. any other tour-only swag to keep my eye out for?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah I wondered what it was too. Seems so long for a 45, but I think that's the point of them taking the drink break in front of the crowd. Kind of like "look how long this shit is, we can take a break." very punny as well.

i thought that "break" bit was genius. definitely sounds like a legit breakthough-really smooth and unique rolls and fills.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    WTF is this?

It's a Georgia 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    The CD does not do it a bit of justice. go see the show. totally worth it.

Haven't heard the entire Hard Sell CD, but I am gonna have to agree with Delay. See the show. The visual component adds a whole other dimension to the performance. I say performance because this is way beyond any tag team DJ set. Shadow & Cut really put the time in to take it to the next level. Some of it was a bit too chin stroking (the off-center adaptor portion was technically stunning but a little long) when I was hoping for more straight up funk a la Brainfreeze & Product Placement. Still there was plenty of shit to get down to.

The intro video ("this is what they're going to do for the next two hours..." explaining how they were making loops from 45s, using effects pedals, etc.) seemed to be there for the Chads & Beckys, but it was honestly one of the highlights for me. Really entertaining in its own right. But I usually watch the Product Placement DVD with their audio commentary turned on and am thoroughly entertained each time.

What was really cool was that Shadow & Cut came off of what I heard was a really awful show in Baltimore (badly promoted and attended), so they genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves at the 9:30 Club.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WTF is this?

It's a Georgia 45. Someone else will probably mention it soon enough I guess. Part 2 is basically just a drum break.

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    Well,
    I got my hands on the encore version of The Hard Sell... really think this is quite an improvement from the Hollywood Bowl version. Tt doesn't include two hilarious highlights: the oft mentioned turntable guitar solo thing at the end of the show and the ridiculous Gilligan's Island/Stairway to Heaven thing and it also lacks the really nice Flamingo's version of 'I only have eyes for you' but it does have all the really bumpin cool shit plus more.

Can't wait to see it.

The stairway to gilligan's island is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N48bRjJZLBs

MP3 is @ http://cheezefactory.blogspot.com/2008/01/little-roger-goosebumps-stairway-to.html

• Band history from http://cdbaby.com/cd/littleroger :

Roger Clark and Dick Bright performed and recorded together from 1973 to 1983 as Little Roger & The Goosebumps and throughout the Western states were renowned for their quirky, rude and corny songs in a nutsy stage act.

???Top marks go to Little Roger & The Goosebumps, the kind of unpredictable high energy band the West Coast is known for.???
    Playboy Magazine 1976

Come 1978, Little Roger & The Goosebumps recorded their claim to fame - a controversial tribute single, their third, which featured Stairway to Heaven frankensteined with the lyrics to Gilligan???s Island TV theme. (the first rock mash-up!). Band gets national radio hit, Led Zepplin sues, record disappears, Trivial Pursuit card honors event.
    Robert Plant on NPR in 2005 calls it his ???all time favorite Led Zep cover version???. Thanks for nothing Bob.