Digging for 12s

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
How do people do this? I can go the distance on 45s any day, and I can go toe to toe with most folks on LPs. But flipping through even one box of 12s is something that I have absolutely no tolerance for. Is this a common felling? or just on my part?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah it sucks,prelude,tabu and all of those other lameo labels,but 1-2 out of a hundred are pure gold
    learn or burn ..........mr "buttons"

• i like 12"s

• I'd rather be tried by 12s than carried by 6

• Glad you guys aren't into 12s...More for me!

• yeah it sucks,prelude,tabu and all of those other lameo labels,but 1-2 out of a hundred are pure gold
    learn or burn ..........mr "buttons"

and def agree - please to stop buying those sucky 12s!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    does anyone besides supreme have apache on 12

i have 7 minutes of funk on 12
    whoppee

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    does anyone besides supreme have apache on 12

whoppee

i have some paul winley 12 of it and cymande bra on the flip. but i don't think that counts.

• does anyone besides supreme have apache on 12

Surprised you've never found this around NYC. "Bungo Rock" pops up a lot out here, with "Apache" on the flip.

Is there a legit MGM 12" of it??

Surprised you've never found this around NYC. "Bungo Rock" pops up a lot out here, with "Apache" on the flip.

Is there a legit MGM 12" of it??

no.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Glad you guys aren't into 12s...More for me!

Totally agree...Plaese to Keep NOT buying them.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    12s are my favorite to dig for especially here in rock town, USA.

• tabu and all of those other lameo labels

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Words cannot express how much I dislike 12"s. Out of all my records I can probably count every 12" I own on one hand

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Yeah, 12"s suck, they're hard to dig for, most of em sound like shit too, nothing good ever came out on 12" anyways...basically, everybody should stop buying 12s ASAP.
    WOOWW....I can't believe you guys....12" are way better than 45's they have wider groooves and if they play at 45rpm then it's even better. If you're in to anything made between 1976 and the present or DJ than you know how usefull they are. But the MOST important point of interest for 12'' is the extended versions , remixes, edits and variations that can be found for that specific track!! And I haven't even gotten started on the fact that mixing with 45's is ANOYING as hell!

• Yeah, 12"s suck, they're hard to dig for, most of em sound like shit too, nothing good ever came out on 12" anyways...basically, everybody should stop buying 12s ASAP.
    WOOWW....I can't believe you guys....12" are way better than 45's they have wider groooves and if they play at 45rpm then it's even better. If you're in to anything made between 1976 and the present or DJ than you know how usefull they are. But the MOST important point of interest for 12'' is the extended versions , remixes, edits and variations that can be found for that specific track!! And I haven't even gotten started on the fact that mixing with 45's is ANOYING as hell!

I think most of the posters were being facetious. Personally I love 12"s and there's so many good disco and boogie cuts you can still get cheap on ebay if you live in a spot that's a little dry for this format (for some reason none of the stores out here in the Bay Area seem to move volume on old 12s. The disco section at Amoeba SF consists of about 25 undesirable titles that have been sitting there for months).

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    yeah, I wasn't so much commenting on the music contained in 12"s, but the format itself. There are obviously good cuts on 12s. And if you DJ hip hop or disco/modern/boogie (i don't) then surely you'd want 12s over LPs. Just sayin' when I see piles of 45s I get PUMPED, and when I see boxes of 12s my eyes glaze over. just gotta learn I guess.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, 12"s suck, they're hard to dig for, most of em sound like shit too, nothing good ever came out on 12" anyways...basically, everybody should stop buying 12s ASAP.
    WOOWW....I can't believe you guys....12" are way better than 45's they have wider groooves and if they play at 45rpm then it's even better. If you're in to anything made between 1976 and the present or DJ than you know how usefull they are. But the MOST important point of interest for 12'' is the extended versions , remixes, edits and variations that can be found for that specific track!!

You aren't really down with sarcasm, huh?

• 12" are wear it's at with hip-hop???I think peops were kidding around

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I understand where's the OP is coming from - I find looking through 12s much more exhausting than 45s. I hate having to lift the whole record out to see the label!

whoppee

I got it, but it's this one... found it on the street in new york. big surprise.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I understand where's the OP is coming from - I find looking through 12s much more exhausting than 45s. I hate having to lift the whole record out to see the label!

damn man you have to lift the entire 45 and read the label. whats the difference?
    45's are delicate. you drop them on a carpeted floor and they still crack.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

damn man you have to lift the entire 45 and read the label.

No you don't. You pull the whole stack and flip through them.

I have problems with twelves, but only from lack of knowledge.
    It's a whole other giant area of collecting that takes years and
    years to build a deep knowledge of. I'm still working on 45's so the
    idea of twelves is daunting. I know a few to look for (is that George
    Duke "I Want You for Myself?" yes, plaese!) but otherwise I'm lost.
    I buy small label disco stuff at the thrift if it's clean, came up
    a few times through luck, also ended up with a few worthless 12's
    taking up space.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

damn man you have to lift the entire 45 and read the label.

No you don't. You pull the whole stack and flip through them.

I have problems with twelves, but only from lack of knowledge.
    It's a whole other giant area of collecting that takes years and
    years to build a deep knowledge of. I'm still working on 45's so the
    idea of twelves is daunting. I know a few to look for (is that George
    Duke "I Want You for Myself?" yes, plaese!) but otherwise I'm lost.
    I buy small label disco stuff at the thrift if it's clean, came up
    a few times through luck, also ended up with a few worthless 12's
    taking up space.

No, when shopping for 12's look at the labels. Prelude, AVI, Sunnyview, Salsoul,etc. I usually go for unknown stuff but come up with that mundane 90bpm crap that sounds like Cerrone stuff.

damn man you have to lift the entire 45 and read the label. whats the difference?
    45's are delicate. you drop them on a carpeted floor and they still crack.
    I agree with you man! I hate digging through boxes of 45's you gotta grab them all in bunchs and put each one back one after the other...it's annoying as hell and really time consuming...

No, when shopping for 12's look at the labels. Prelude, AVI, Sunnyview, Salsoul,etc. I usually go for unknown stuff but come up with that mundane 90bpm crap that sounds like Cerrone stuff.
    What's great about 12" like that is they often have a sticker or some writing on them with marker that lists the BPM of the track.In some cases they might even have a little cross next to the best version or best cut to play.In fact whenever I see records that are marked in a certain way (specific tags, hand writing or even some of these old school dj's would stamp the center piece with they're dj name)I pick them up right away cuz I know that such and such Dj had nothing but hot schitt.That usually always pays off...