JSBX

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i was driving from NC yesterday and some Jon Spencer came on(yeah shuffle mode). i forgot how much i used to like him. anybody else feelin the explosion that is Jon Spencer? or does he take blues to somewhere you don't want him too? i don't know much about the blues, and i don't even know how bluesy he really is, but i like it. recommended listening:

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I'd shell out the cash any day for a cd compiled by Mr. Spencer.

• JSBX has got that energy. I used to be really into them. Orange blew my mind the first time I heard it. Russell Simmons is a monster on those drums too! Usually a great show live.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Russell Simmons is a monster on those drums too!

yeah, i think he must listen to hip hop a little or something cuz they leave open drum breaks a lot and they are funky as hell.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yeah, i think he must listen to hip hop a little or something cuz they leave open drum breaks a lot and they are funky as hell.

he does...saw them/interviewed them when only built 4 cuban linx came out and that was all we talked about with him. the other two were a little harder to communicate with. go figure.

i love his set-up - what, like only four pieces in all?

• i like his sister's music too

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

co-scion

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i like his sister's music too

too bad about her first name though

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

One of the first records I ever bought. This was back when the Beastie Boys were pushing them like crack along with Bad Brains and Lee Perry.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I did a t-shirt design for them that their merch company kungfunation.com told me was approved, but it's not on their site yet so I'm not sure what happened with it. I like it though:

I was really excited for the opportunity to do it 'cos JSBX have been one of my faves for a long time. Probably due to their friendship with Tim Warren of Crypt (who, along with Mr. Finewine, was responsible for those Belgium-pressed comps like THE GET IT and POW CITY), they sampled several funk 45s like Count Yates "At The Soul Inn." They got lotsa breaks and just good grooves too - both live and on record they kill it. Hipsters don't seem to like them anymore, which should tell you something about hipsters.

Though their song with Chuck D on their latest album DAMAGE was kinda weak.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    on Damage they did a song with DJ Shadow, too

I really like their work with the Automator on Acme. Winona Ryder as Jon in that video was the shit.

Big cosign with Marco, I liked them since Extra Width, Orange, and Now I got Worry. Braeks and the whole thing. Jon Spencer and crew put on a show like none other.

I remember them bringing out RL Burnside's son to rap on stage while Russell played a hard beat and that encore was just one extended jam. Insane.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    i love his set-up - what, like only four pieces in all?

his live set up includes triggers (or at least it did 7 years ago) on his floor tom. so when he hits it, it triggers the HUGE low end kerplunk noise that shakes things loose from your bowels. i loved that part of the show...

techno animal remix of bacon, anyone?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like that remix ep a lot with Beck, Mike D, Rza, Dub Narcotic etc. Saw em live years back and they were alright. I kinda though R.L. Burnside opening for em stole the show though.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I like that remix ep a lot with Beck, Mike D, Rza, Dub Narcotic etc. Saw em live years back and they were alright. I kinda though R.L. Burnside opening for em stole the show though.

Remember the JSBX music video that starred Beck and Mike D? I remember Miek D being a chef or something and tossing JS or Beck out onto the street. MTV only aired it a handful of times on 120 Minutes. Classic shit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i like his sister's music too

too bad about her first name though

This is funny, cuz my girlfriend from college 15 years(ah, first real love) ago was asking me if I had ever heard of Jon Spencer or Pussy Galore. I was like "yeah, I dig Pussy Galore. why?" and she says, "His sister was a friend of mine in Hanover, in High School".
    Me: "what's her name?"

Her: "Muffin Spencer"

Me: "No way."

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I love how they co-opted that famous Grand Funk drumline for "Full Grown". Really pushed it to it's fullest potential.

"Get a whiff of my pant leg, babay!
    ---
    ---
    ---
    FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I love how they co-opted that famous Grand Funk drumline for "Full Grown". Really pushed it to it's fullest potential.

"Get a whiff of my pant leg, babay!
    ---
    ---
    ---
    FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!"

that's a good sex song

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i was driving from NC yesterday and some Jon Spencer came on(yeah shuffle mode). i forgot how much i used to like him.

yeah, i thought he was a little bit of alright myself, although i havent listened to him in years.

anybody else feelin the explosion that is Jon Spencer? or does he take blues to somewhere you don't want him too? i don't know much about the blues, and i don't even know how bluesy he really is, but i like it.

to be honest with you, the jsbx are a blues band like soul asylum was a soul band. even though jon used blues as a reference point in his music, i honestly didnt hear it (even though i liked it).

jon resurfaced a few months ago on the yep roc label as half of a duo called heavy trash, where he puts his cat clothes on and makes a fucked-up psychobilly album. coulda been a good album, except that the goofy vocals sink the whole thing. avoid.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Man I ludd the John Spencer Blues Explosion.

Talk About The Blues is off the hook, and there's also another tune called Calvin that I frequently like to spin.

My foot is tapping right now and I aint even got any music on.

• mimmim 44 Posts
    five, six years ago i went to ljubljana to see what will i joyfully remember as the best live show i have ever seen... jsbx were unfuckingbelievable. on the concerts abroad i usually come in sober because i decided that one arrest at the border is enough for me, but it was such a natural high that i finally completely grasped the concept of 'natural high'. total punk chaos. i mean, i was stagediving there. first and last time in my life. that loudest theremin ever blew my mind. they were killing it and raping it dead.. i was shivering like a brushwood in the cold wind for two days afrewards.

then, fastforward, they came to zagreb, a month or two ago. i was so excited although i heard those last two albums and didn't like them a little bit. so i was prepared for the dissapointment but it was like watching rolling stones. it was terrible. limp dick. they are bored.. so was i, didn't even wait until the end of the show. rocknroll is dead.

d??lek supported the show and it killed it as always. after them jon spencer seemed like mariah carey. but yes, once they were a great band, up to 'now i got worry'. i even dug the 'experimental remixes' ep, sounds so retro today;)

• Probably due to their friendship with Tim Warren of Crypt (who, along with Mr. Finewine, was responsible for those Belgium-pressed comps like THE GET IT and POW CITY

As far as I know Finewine didn't have anything to do with those comps. Finewine told me that Warren helped himself to the 'Downtown Soulville" name and he (Matt) had nothing to do with the comp itself.