The Montclairs "Dreaming Out Of Season"

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
This album has been killing me the past week, especialy "grand finale", the title track and the opus "do i stand a chance". great songwriting, melodies and concepts (grand finale) makes for a killer soul record that should be heard by everyone. that is all.peace,x

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    This album has been killing me the past week, especialy "grand finale", the title track and the opus "do i stand a chance". great songwriting, melodies and concepts (grand finale) makes for a killer soul record that should be heard by everyone. that is all.

peace,x

ive always thought this about this album

the concetp and harmonies are incredible..a killer album and do i have a chance is my favorite cut as well...and that is a hard choice on an incredible album

do yourself a favor and pick it up

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ...plus, if I'm not mistaken, many of the songs were written by one or more group members. For a soul vocal group, that is RARE.

• This album has been killing me the past week, especialy "grand finale", the title track and the opus "do i stand a chance". great songwriting, melodies and concepts (grand finale) makes for a killer soul record that should be heard by everyone. that is all.

peace,x

ive always thought this about this album

the concetp and harmonies are incredible..a killer album and do i have a chance is my favorite cut as well...and that is a hard choice on an incredible album

do yourself a favor and pick it up

co-sign on the mentioned tracks, but also "unwanted love" is a great modern (not boogie) dancer.

it's just a great Soul album all the way through and I think that's why it was reissued in the early 90s, long before most of the other reissues/boots.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Great album.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ...plus, if I'm not mistaken, many of the songs were written by one or more group members. For a soul vocal group, that is RARE.

especially in that era
    the lead singner if i am not mistaken..and this is why i respect the conceptual stuff even more

its inspiring for any one trying to sing soul music (such as myself)

"unwanted love" is a great modern (not boogie) dancer.

The Montclairs seem just a little too early ('72-'74) to be called "modern soul."

it's just a great Soul album all the way through and I think that's why it was reissued in the early 90s, long before most of the other reissues/boots.

At the time, Jewel/Ronn/Paula was reissuing a lot of their older catalog albums on vinyl, and one of them just happened to be the Montclairs. Probably timely too, since Phil Perry was starting to catch on as a solo act.

• "unwanted love" is a great modern (not boogie) dancer.

The Montclairs seem just a little too early ('72-'74) to be called "modern soul."

o.k - just call it uptempo soul dancer - I don't want to start the discussion about modern soul, boogie, etc. again

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    one of the few soul records with vocals I can sit and listen to the whole way through!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    one of the few soul records with vocals I can sit and listen to the whole way through

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

The Montclairs are one of my favorite soul groups bar none. Which means a lot beacuse group soul is my thing and I listen to a lot of it. Still need to scrounge up some pennies and grab the next "Hey You" that hits the 'bay.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I love this album - great from beginning to end. Have to mention Beggin' Is Hard To Do as well which has been a personal favourite of mine for quite some time now.

• "unwanted love" is a great modern (not boogie) dancer.

o.k - just call it uptempo soul dancer - I don't want to start the discussion about modern soul, boogie, etc. again

And just to annoy you again:)
    I'll call it crossover. It definitely has that 70's feel and don't really fit in the northern or modern categorie

And just to annoy you again:)
    I'll call it crossover. It definitely has that 70's feel and don't really fit in the northern or modern categorie

Just a really good soft-soul record is all it is. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

At the time, Jewel/Ronn/Paula was reissuing a lot of their older catalog albums on vinyl, and one of them just happened to be the Montclairs. Probably timely too, since Phil Perry was starting to catch on as a solo act.

see, so you just call this stuff crossover? really? thats interesting. because it definitely gets dumped into the modern soul category in as far as a lot of comps are concerned.

montclairs album is dope though. theres a couple tracks on that bsides and rarities thing they did thats dope too.

why only 1 record though"?

so you just call this stuff crossover?

Nah, that was GamleOle who called it crossover. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a really good soft-soul record, man. No different from the Moments or the Chi-Lites or any other similar groups. No offense to anyone, but crossover from what?

it definitely gets dumped into the modern soul category in as far as a lot of comps are concerned.

Not to be nitpicky, but I always understood "modern soul" to be anything post-disco, or at least after '76. A group like the Montclairs would have been considered passe by then, which is why I was surprised to see them classed as "modern."

• HamHam 872 Posts
    crossover from what?

Isn't crossover just a nerdy sub-genre description of this kind of not-yet-modern soul?

• crossover from what?

Isn't crossover just a nerdy sub-genre description of this kind of not-yet-modern soul?

We are talking about like 8 different things here.

Modern used to just mean 70s soul. That was in comparison to 60s soul which was more in vogue back in the days.

More recently the term "Crossover" has helped to differentiate between 60s northern and late 70s/early 80s modern. Often refers to mid-tempo soul tunes from the mid-70s. There's a different definition of "modern" in northern soul circles than there is for guys after 80s synth/drum machine/jherri curl stuff.

Pickwick is describing the group in absolute terms, 70s sweet/soft/group soul.... people who are saying "modern" and "crossover" are using collectors terms.

"Crossover", as used in soul collector circles, has nothing to do with the more traditional definition of commercialization or "crossing over" to a bigger audience.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    in the northern soul sense 'crossover' records would have appeal to both 60s purists & 70s soul fans - usually they are pre-disco things with a shuffle-type beat