Puzzle - S/T on Motown

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
IMG src=http://www.audio8.com/press/dontgiveup-okayplayer_files/ek072707.jpg>why was this on motown???? makes no sense to me. seems more appropriate for one of their subsidiaries...like...rare earth for example? i just dont get it. i bought it for a dollar a few days ago not really knowing what to expect, but i wasnt completely expecting what i got.head-scratcher.

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

why was this on motown???? makes no sense to me. seems more appropriate for one of their subsidiaries...like...rare earth for example? i just dont get it. i bought it for a dollar a few days ago not really knowing what to expect, but i wasnt completely expecting what i got.

head-scratcher.

Theres alot of records like that from the 70's.
    White-rock-soul on labels that marketed more soul.
    Motown put out two of thier records.
    People are shocked to see those type of groups on Motown.
    But I think there were others like LIBRA, but don't quote me on that.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Libra's self titled record is on motown. that's a little more weird. italian proggy band on motown?? You'd think that'd have to be a rare earth release, I just assumed most of their european UK stuff would all be on rare earth.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Hmmm.and I think alot of those records didn't do well.
    People probably looked at some of those groups and said they were too rock sounding for the soul audience and too soulful for the rock audience.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah, there are definitely some prog elements on this record too. i could see if it was a straight-ahead soul album or something, even if there were some kinda rockish elements but mostly soulful? that wouldnt be strange really. but this album just doesnt fit into the motown library very well in ANY way.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    A second album, called The Second Album, appeared on Motown the year after the debut was released. I think it's a far more enjoyable album, with a nice 10-minute symphonic/prog suite on side 2.

After the group split, lead singer John LiVigni released the Anything You Want LP under the name John Valenti on Ariola in 1975. It's a great set of tunes that was fairly popular in the UK rare groove/modern/northern scene.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    what about Riot? I wonder if they had more luck with the latin shit.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't see what the big mystery is. Just 'cause Motown proper was known for soul music doesn't mean that was all they did. What were albums by Puzzle, Riot and Libra doing on Motown? May as well ask the same thing about comedian Soupy Sales, actor Albert Finney, singer-songwriter Stephen Cohn, jazz trumpeter Jonah Jones, etc. - all had LP's on Motown, and none sounded like Diana Ross & the Supremes. The label was obviously trying to dominate the whole market just like the big boys at CBS and Capitol, and when it didn't work, back to soul they went.

Also, Rare Earth wasn't the only Motown label putting out rock. Besides Motown itself, Mowest, Manticore and later Prodigal were releasing albums in that vein as well.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Also, Rare Earth wasn't the only Motown label putting out rock. Besides Motown itself, Mowest, Manticore and later Prodigal were releasing albums in that vein as well.

i was just offering it as ONE example of one of their labels that would have suited it better.

i thought atlantic owned manticore?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i thought atlantic owned manticore?

They did when Emerson, Lake & Palmer were involved.

Around '75 (I think), all the non-ELP acts got shuttled off to Motown. (I have a Little Richard 45 on Motown/Manticore from that year...)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Albert Finney

Terrible album for the most part, but has a nice string/orchestra bit in one of the songs.