Discuss Jermaine Dupri

13»

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy[/b] , basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

honestly, what people?

if you started a P Diddy appreciation thread right now you would likely see OVERWHELMINGLY positive feedback on the Strut.

and knowing that. It scares the Hell out of me

• The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy, basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

For me that's a perception I have probably hinted at, or even screamed about at times, but in the end I can't cosign...for the simple fact that it denies too many people who are probably more hip-hop than any of us their own right to decide what is legit or not. I mean, it's not my concern if 40 year old soccer moms like Puffy...that's a non-issue. But if 13 year old inner city kid is feeling JD every bit as much as he's feeling TI or Jeezy, who am I to say that he's wrong? Point being, many of these technicalities that are brought to the table in such discussions are often completely irrelevant when it comes to the nitty gritty.

and why exactly should we be taking cues from 13 yr old kids?

honestly its mad suspect how some of the dudes on this board in their late 20's and 30's are always rushing to cosine the latest lame teen musical craze (souljah boy -- and your valiant defense of souljah boy -- being a prime example).

does it make y'all feel young again? "in touch" with the youth? face facts: teenagers listen to a lot of dumb schitt. just because "13 year old inner city kids" are riding for a song/artist, doesn't mean you should ride for it on the strength.

actually its more than a little creepy that some of you grown men on here are so eager to be down with little kids and their favorite myspace artists.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy, basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

For me that's a perception I have probably hinted at, or even screamed about at times, but in the end I can't cosign...for the simple fact that it denies too many people who are probably more hip-hop than any of us their own right to decide what is legit or not. I mean, it's not my concern if 40 year old soccer moms like Puffy...that's a non-issue. But if 13 year old inner city kid is feeling JD every bit as much as he's feeling TI or Jeezy, who am I to say that he's wrong? Point being, many of these technicalities that are brought to the table in such discussions are often completely irrelevant when it comes to the nitty gritty.

and why exactly should we be taking cues from 13 yr old kids?

honestly its mad suspect how some of the dudes on this board in their late 20's and 30's are always rushing to cosine the latest lame teen musical craze (souljah boy -- and your valiant defense of souljah boy -- being a prime example).

does it make y'all feel young again? "in touch" with the youth? face facts: teenagers listen to a lot of dumb schitt. just because "13 year old inner city kids" are riding for a song/artist, doesn't mean you should ride for it on the strength.

actually its more than a little creepy that some of you grown men on here are so eager to be down with little kids and their favorite myspace artists.

First off, you are an idiot.

Secondly, hip-hop is for the youth...to define. Really, no one gives a rat's ass what any of us here thinks about hip-hop. You can call yourself a trendsetter all day long, but all you're ever going to influence is a bunch of halfway crooks just like you. Hip-Hop thankfully exists outside of our old white dude overinflated egos.

Thirdly, I would think there'd be a big difference between cosigning/bumping teenage trendy rap and simply deciding that it has its worth for others and it would only make you look like an overreaching chump for hating on it.

Fourthly, did I mention that you are an idiot?

• Thirdly, I would think there'd be a big difference between cosigning/bumping teenage trendy rap and simply deciding that it has its worth for others and it would only make you look like an overreaching chump for hating on it.

oh the irony. YOU, my friend, are reaching. I really get a kick out of the mental contortions you go through to find some imaginary value in every dumb tween urban music craze (e.g. "but you need to hear it in its context!"; "but you're not an innercity high schooler so how can you understand?!").

seeing a grown man act like that is never pretty.

I said it before and I'll say it again: kids listen to a lot of dumb schitt. and just because said kids come from "the innercity" or whatever doesn't necessarily make dumb schitt any less dumb. sorry old man.

but if it makes you feel like you're still down with the little wippersnappers, be my guest. they really appreciate your support I'm sure.

• this is turning into the Nelly of Soul Strut arguments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Thirdly, I would think there'd be a big difference between cosigning/bumping teenage trendy rap and simply deciding that it has its worth for others and it would only make you look like an overreaching chump for hating on it.

oh the irony. YOU, my friend, are reaching. I really get a kick out of the mental contortions you go through to find some imaginary value in every dumb tween urban music craze (e.g. "but you need to hear it in its context!"; "but you're not an innercity high schooler so how can you understand?!").

I said it before and I'll say it again: kids listen to a lot of dumb schitt. and just because said kids come from "the innercity" or whatever doesn't necessarily make dumb schitt any less dumb. sorry old man.

but if it makes you feel like you're still down with the little wippersnappers, be my guest. they really appreciate your support I'm sure.

How would it "make me feel down"...your baggage, again...to refuse to overrule kids' opinions on kid music?

You spend so much energy applying your gay ass standards to people who don't give a shit about you. It's like a cycle with you too, because they never will give a shit about you for the way that you are always looking down on them.

Seriously dipshit, forget rap...it's not for you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    this is turning into the Nelly of Soul Strut arguments

Ha, this "that's the Nelly of ________" construction could really go places.

• Thirdly, I would think there'd be a big difference between cosigning/bumping teenage trendy rap and simply deciding that it has its worth for others and it would only make you look like an overreaching chump for hating on it.

How would it "make me feel down"...your baggage, again...to refuse to overrule kids' opinions on kid music?

You spend so much energy applying your gay ass standards to people who don't give a shit about you. It's like a cycle with you too, because they never will give a shit about you for the way that you are always looking down on them.

Seriously dipshit, forget rap...it's not for you.

^^^ MADD CAUSE I DONE FUCKED AROUND AND MADE HIM MISS TRL...AGAIN ^^^

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I knew it would work...
    I set this whole thread up to get rootless and harvey beefin again. Though I could of made a Pizza Appreciation thread and the same would've happened.

• stop lying. you're just backtracking because you found yourself on the same side as harv-chaic. I would, too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    was anyone else shocked to see he produced "Fallin" and co-produced "Success" from American Gangster?

Did you find anything like that in his back catalog?

from Elliot Wilson's AG producer interviews:

Think a lot of people are shocked about the type of records you contributed to the album. Especially ???Fallin???????

Yeah, I don???t know why. If you listened to Life in 1472, that???s what that album sounded like my records sounded like that type of music. But people pay more attention to the production on Usher and the more pop R&B records that I do than that type of stuff, so I guess that???s what it is. But what I did was, I went to the studio and he played me a lot of his records. I couldn???t really duplicate what he already had going on and I really wanted to be on the album so I had to figure out my role.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=15734

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dupri has hits and he has some wack shit.

U cant discuss the game w/out his contributions.....Hip Hop/Pop/R&B.