Discuss Jermaine Dupri

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I was recently listening to some 8 disc bootleg of all JD productions. It was chock full of remixes and rarities from his whole career.His father gave him a label and hhe discovered Kriss Kross when he was fourteen years old. The rest is history.Listening to the set I couldn't help but notice he never had his own sound. He would adjust his style to what was hot at the moment and almost straight up bite the producers "of the moment." From the mid to late nineties he was doing Puff, and the whole jiggy, 80's sample thing. Late nineties early 00's he's doing his best Timbaland impression with the stuttering double time hi-hats. Now he's got the Akon/T-Pain shit in lock. And more in between (cash money, etc)He has some classic tracks under his belt, and more money than god, but what do you guys think of his catalogue as an artist?

Comments

• just as strutters now ride for the 90's Puff material that we all used to love to hate, strutters will now ride for the 90's JD material that we all used to love to hate.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    just as strutters now ride for the 90's Puff material that we all used to love to hate, strutters will now ride for the 90's JD material that we all used to love to hate.

i'll say, i'm pretty happy to have all these random tracks in one place. the remix for Xscape "Understanding" and "Just Kickin It" are

oh, and how could I forget his Kanye stage.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I'm waiting for the Whodini reunion!!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "get tipsy" is straight jacked from "grindin."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dude sleeps with Janet! I could care less about his music.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Funny fact about Jermaine is he was or still is notoriously known to stiff waiters on tips at restaurants and the IRS took alot of his shit awhile back. Jermaine is sleeping with Janet but people still don't take him serious.

Funny fact about Jermaine is he was or still is notoriously known to stiff waiters on tips at restaurants and the IRS took alot of his shit awhile back. Jermaine is sleeping with Janet but people still don't take him serious.

I don't take him seriously at all about anything..........except that he sleeps with Janet! I don't even take Janet seriously about anything.....except that she's hot!

I don't take him seriously at all about anything..........except that he sleeps with Janet! I don't even take Janet seriously about anything.....except that she's hot!

Man, I don't know if it's janet or jermaine working with her and her music but her shit is terrible now. half ass songs

• janet was hot at one time and she made some cool songs, but now? Yowza. She's got a weird body. that muscle stomach is not attractive at all. And those weird inflatable doll boobs.

call me

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Dude sleeps with Janet!

If only he had done so back when that actually meant something....

Anyway, dude's been remarkably successful at making a career out of being a flagrant biter.

Man, I don't know if it's janet or jermaine working with her and her music but her shit is terrible now. half ass songs

Yea, "Feedback".....ugh.

Tight abs and fake boobs!!!!!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Don't hate, dude is fire and is one of the reasons why Atlanta is a hiphop/R&B mecca.

"In a Ferrari or Jaguar, switching four lanes, with the top down, screamin' out,

MONEY AIN'T A THANG."

Don't hate, dude is fire and is one of the reasons why Atlanta is a hiphop/R&B mecca.

"In a Ferrari or Jaguar, switching four lanes, with the top down, screamin' out,

MONEY AIN'T A THANG."

like jay-z didnt write that?

• Don't hate, dude is fire and is one of the reasons why Atlanta is a hiphop/R&B mecca.

faux will likely co-sine.

but JD is still a cornball.

• hiphop/R&B mecca.

PS y'all gotta choose one and stick with it.

• I've never heard anything remarkable by him. And unlike producers like Timberland, Kanye, The Neptunes, Dre, Just Blaze, Quik, etc and others I've never been interested in his music; actually, I try to avoid his shit.

[soulstrut apologist]BUT YO HE MAKES PAPER. SO IT'S ALL GOOD. [/soulstrut apologist]

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    JD is still a cornball.

MONEY AIN'T A THANG."
    I know you don't believe what you just posted?

jermaine isn't even from this city and when people mention his name down here it's a joke. All the artist he signed besides Kirsskross were from another city. He always fronted on Atlanta artist until Dre, Timberland, Eminem and a slew of other dissed his ass. Now he wants T.I., Young Jeezy, Block Entertainment, Luda.etc to at least recognize he is apart of Atlanta Hip Hop/R&B scene. BTW that "Atlanta is HIP HOP/R&B" mecca is the 90's. Atlanta is now SNAP/Snap R&B.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

MONEY AIN'T A THANG."
    I know you don't believe what you just posted?

jermaine isn't even from this city and when people mention his name down here it's a joke. All the artist he signed besides Kirsskross were from another city. He always fronted on Atlanta artist until Dre, Timberland, Eminem and a slew of other dissed his ass. Now he wants T.I., Young Jeezy, Block Entertainment, Luda.etc to at least recognize he is apart of Atlanta Hip Hop/R&B scene. BTW that "Atlanta is HIP HOP/R&B" mecca is the 90's. Atlanta is now SNAP/Snap R&B.

I guess I don't be knowin... I'm obviously not from the South and based my comments about JD on the number of times he mentions "ATL" or "Georgia" in each of songs -- which is plenty.

PLAESE TO CONSIDER MYSELF SKOOLED.

He still gets props from me because of his longevity, or as one poaster mentioned, his ability to steal/adopt to whatever sound is popular at the time.

I like this short man's swagger.

how about some examples:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6857537fb56fa8/

name the bitten.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    just as strutters now ride for the 90's Puff material that we all used to love to hate, strutters will now ride for the 90's JD material that we all used to love to hate.

yeah strange how that happened

• just as strutters now ride for the 90's Puff material that we all used to love to hate, strutters will now ride for the 90's JD material that we all used to love to hate.

yeah strange how that happened

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the level of well-deserved clownery being directed at the one JD in this thread. I was bracing myself for a five pager of questionable apologetics and mealy-mouthing about how he's "managed to stay relevant" over so many years.

then again there's still time for that I guess.

• Jermaine Dupri is wack

Jermaine Dupri is wack

yes and pure Do Do DOOODOOO

• he is the Nelly of producing

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    oh, and how could I forget his Kanye stage.

Dude, Kanye worked with him on his 1472 album...