Discuss Jermaine Dupri

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

• again i'm high and this is wild.

• he is the Nelly of producing

Well put.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    From the mid to late nineties he was doing Puff, and the whole jiggy, 80's sample thing. Late nineties early 00's he's doing his best Timbaland impression with the stuttering double time hi-hats. Now he's got the Akon/T-Pain shit in lock.

He even was doing some ol' boom bap style production pre-Kriss Kross.

I was recently listening to some 8 disc bootleg of all JD productions. It was chock full of remixes and rarities from his whole career.

I'd be interested in hearing this. Know where I can find it?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    DUPRI IS DOPE FUCK YALL

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    questionable apologetics and mealy-mouthing about how he's "managed to stay relevant" over so many years.

There's undoubtedly a skill, if not any great talent, in doing what he does the way he does it, though. I don't particularly care for his shit, and never really did, but consistenty delivering hits, even if those hits are often derivative of the work of more unique talents, is as good a way to "stay relevant" as any.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've never heard anything remarkable by him. And unlike producers like Timberland, Kanye, The Neptunes, Dre, Just Blaze, Quik, etc and others I've never been interested in his music; actually, I try to avoid his shit.

[soulstrut apologist]BUT YO HE MAKES PAPER. SO IT'S ALL GOOD. [/soulstrut apologist]

I will now make it my personal quest to locate a JD organic club banger, which I will present to the boy Young Phonics as recently discovered unreleased work of that other JayDee just to see what happens.

DUPRI IS DOPE FUCK YALL

I knew my dude deej would stand up. Jermaine doesn't have an original bone in his body, but can't really hate. He's never been an innovator, but he's employed other people's musical ideas to make some great records.

I like that remix of Dru Hill's "In My Bed" with him and Da Brat rhyming on it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dude is harmless...and while his adoption of every trend under the sun is certainly condusive to hattery, that's ultimately only a self-serving, pointless hattery that winds up saying more about the hatter than the hattee.

That being said...So Funktafied, Welcome to Atlanta, and I'm Throwed are all at least halfway cool to me.

Dude is harmless...and while his adoption of every trend under the sun is certainly condusive to hattery, that's ultimately only a self-serving, pointless hattery that winds up saying more about the hatter than the hattee.

That being said...So Funktafied, Welcome to Atlanta, and I'm Throwed are all at least halfway cool to me.

This thread is

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I know all y'all still rock doubles of "Da B-sides" with Da Brat and Biggie.

This thread is

So you're from Atlanta? And have you always hated on Welcome to Atlanta? Because I did not find that to be the general case out there when that song was big.

• I like that remix of Dru Hill's "In My Bed" with him and Da Brat rhyming on it.

CLUB CLASSIC

I like that remix of Dru Hill's "In My Bed" with him and Da Brat rhyming on it.

CLUB CLASSIC

I stay club compliant. Please do aks somebody.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Welcome to Atlanta

• DUPRI IS DOPE FUCK YALL

^^^ FOREGONE CONCLUSION ^^^

honestly deej there was hardly a need for you to chime in.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this anti-deejery will not stand

• this anti-deejery will not stand

not anti-deej per se. just a predictable deej-icious assessment of the one JD's work. I know how you do.

• So Funktafied [sic]

IT'S THA B-ARRUH-A-TEEEE!

This thread is

So you're from Atlanta? And have you always hated on Welcome to Atlanta? Because I did not find that to be the general case out there when that song was big.

yo, man who said I'm hating on that song. It wasn't a great song. Good for some people but I don't get all warm inside and feel like dancing to it when I here it. Shit this thread is about JD. Love him or hate him. The man has helped alot of artist and their careers but the attitude he showed toward alot of people here backed fired on his ass. Like with many celebrities the money and fame got to his ass. When the IRS took his shit people laughed, some strip clubs siad he was a bitch and no longer wanted him visiting some spots and not tipping for meals. These things don't matter to me. The thing that bothered alot of people was JD never embrassed Atlanta until he got mad because he wasn't recognized as a great producer a couple of years ago. He starting crying because people mentioned DR.DRE and Timberland as being the best.

• sonically his records sound incredible. dude is always a day late..minus the dollar short..his height makes up for that. he never sets the trend..stays following whatever the hot sound is. anything formulaic is not that hard to figure out. not once has he ever made a hit off of his own sound.

the dru hill remix of sleeping in my bed remains classic imo.

who cares about who hes sleeping with. janet cant make records that anybody gives a shit about anyore.

deej-icious

I believe the word is deejalicious.

This thread is

yo, man who said I'm hating on that song. It wasn't a great song. Good for some people but I don't get all warm inside and feel like dancing to it when I here it. Shit this thread is about JD. Love him or hate him. The man has helped alot of artist and their careers but the attitude he showed toward alot of people here backed fired on his ass. Like with many celebrities the money and fame got to his ass. When the IRS took his shit people laughed, some strip clubs siad he was a bitch and no longer wanted him visiting some spots and not tipping for meals. These things don't matter to me. The thing that bothered alot of people was JD never embrassed Atlanta until he got mad because he wasn't recognized as a great producer a couple of years ago. He starting crying because people mentioned DR.DRE and Timberland as being the best.

I'm not saying by any means that JD should be treated as any sort of god of production/ATL-isms. But I don't suspect that the average everyday hip-hop listener, who is most likely to be a high school student, gets into all of those semantics...and basically just likes a given JD song or not.

Plus, how are you going to say JD didn't embrace Atlanta until a couple years ago when Welcome to Atlanta is now how old? Furthermore, where does TLC fit into the equation?

Plus, how are you going to say JD didn't embrace Atlanta until a couple years ago when Welcome to Atlanta is now how old? Furthermore, where does TLC fit into the equation?

Heres how I'm going to say it. One: JD threw parties he never hired Atlanta DJ's. TWO: TLC was a Dallas Austin thing. Three:He never was humble.He is more of a self center person that flossed his money while hometown born & raised artist never were into that.Four: Welcome to Atlanta came out around the time when he got mad because he wasn't mentioned as being great. Five: He did that song to get Atlanta on his side since no one outside of Atlanta liked him. Do I have to continue?

Heres how I'm going to say it. One: JD threw parties he never hired Atlanta DJ's. TWO: TLC was a Dallas Austin thing. Three:He never was humble.He is more of a self center person that flossed his money while hometown born & raised artist never were into that.Four: Welcome to Atlanta came out around the time when he got mad because he wasn't mentioned as being great. Five: He did that song to get Atlanta on his side since no one outside of Atlanta liked him. Do I have to continue?

Nah, I'm quite familiar with blanketed disregard of JD and I guess for the most part I'd have to cosign it...but then again, I just don't see JD as worth the energy that hating on him entails.

Same goes for Bow Wow.

The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy, basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

• The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy, basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

Ja Rule's ***NEW HIT SINGLE*** FEATURING J-LO

• The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy[/b] , basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

honestly, what people?

if you started a P Diddy appreciation thread right now you would likely see OVERWHELMINGLY positive feedback on the Strut.

The same hate for him is similar to the hate people have for Nelly, P.Diddy, basically the whole "This ain't real HIP HOP" gripe is why theres so much hate.

For me that's a perception I have probably hinted at, or even screamed about at times, but in the end I can't cosign...for the simple fact that it denies too many people who are probably more hip-hop than any of us their own right to decide what is legit or not. I mean, it's not my concern if 40 year old soccer moms like Puffy...that's a non-issue. But if 13 year old inner city kid is feeling JD every bit as much as he's feeling TI or Jeezy, who am I to say that he's wrong? Point being, many of these technicalities that are brought to the table in such discussions are often completely irrelevant when it comes to the nitty gritty.