Job Interview Strut

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
OK, Im plannin on leaving full time record slanging...it is paying the bills, but that is it..no insurance, no retirement, no money for vacations..so I have an interview tomorrow at a local college. I held my last "real" job from 1995 to 2004...then went into business for myself for a year then fell into the record game as a gig by someone posing the question, "you want a job?"...so I havent had a real job interview since 1995. Are there any new modes of etiquitte I need to be hip to? The hair got cut and the beard comes off tonight and today Im gonna go buy a new shirt and tie, luckily the suit still fits. Have read up on the school and the position, so Im prepared for any questions, but I know business protocol changes and I havent kept up...help a dude out por favor..

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i was told that wearing a blue shirt increases your chances of impressing the interviewer somehow. seriously. i've only had one interview since being told that and i wore a blue shirt and got the job, so it can't hurt i guess..... anyway, good luck!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    OK, Im plannin on leaving full time record slanging...it is paying the bills, but that is it..no insurance, no retirement, no money for vacations..so I have an interview tomorrow at a local college. I held my last "real" job from 1995 to 2004...then went into business for myself for a year then fell into the record game as a gig by someone posing the question, "you want a job?"...so I havent had a real job interview since 1995. Are there any new modes of etiquitte I need to be hip to? The hair got cut and the beard comes off tonight and today Im gonna go buy a new shirt and tie, luckily the suit still fits. Have read up on the school and the position, so Im prepared for any questions, but I know business protocol changes and I havent kept up...help a dude out por favor..

Here's what I look for when I interview folks...

They have to look me in the eye when they speak, don't fidgit and look around or down while you're talking.

I want folks to be paying attention and listening when I'm telling them about the job.....if they ask me a pointed question I'm always impressed.

It's better for you to tell them what you will bring to the table rather than why you want the job....make them want YOU, not vice versa.

Act confident.

Give off a positive vibe.....try not to say anything negative about past jobs/employers.

If given the opportunity ask them what the best and worst thing about working for the company(in this case, school)is.......make it seem like the interview is a two way process, not one sided.

Good Luck

• thanks, Ive already composed my list of what I can bring to the job and why my past experience is perfect for this job...

blue shirt? Interesting, I was gonna get a white shirt but maybe a blue shirt is on order..also I was gonna get a tie with the school colors, is that corny?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

If given the opportunity ask them what the best and worst thing about working for the company(in this case, school)is.......make it seem like the interview is a two way process, not one sided.

Asking questions to them in an interview is a good look. They always say that a job interview actually is two-sided. You want to find out if they're right for you as much as you are right for them.

Good luck, hommie.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    thanks, Ive already composed my list of what I can bring to the job and why my past experience is perfect for this job...

blue shirt? Interesting, I was gonna get a white shirt but maybe a blue shirt is on order..also I was gonna get a tie with the school colors, is that corny?

Pure corn....don't do it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    thanks, Ive already composed my list of what I can bring to the job and why my past experience is perfect for this job...

As long as it's a nice tie and that it is nicely tied, it might be a nice touch.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Here's what I look for when I interview folks...

They have to look me in the eye when they speak, don't fidgit and look around or down while you're talking.

I want folks to be paying attention and listening when I'm telling them about the job.....if they ask me a pointed question I'm always impressed.

It's better for you to tell them what you will bring to the table rather than why you want the job....make them want YOU, not vice versa.

Act confident.

Give off a positive vibe.....try not to say anything negative about past jobs/employers.

Good Luck

This is great advice from Rockadelic - pretty much covers all the things I look for in an interviewee. On a personal ego point the last point is really important, especially if the person has done a number of interviews that day listening to people waffling on, reconnects them to the interview.

Whatever colour the shirt is just make sure it's understated.

• If given the opportunity ask them what the best and worst thing about working for the company(in this case, school)is.......make it seem like the interview is a two way process, not one sided.

Asking questions to them in an interview is a good look. They always say that a job interview actually is two-sided. You want to find out if they're right for you as much as you are right for them.

Good luck, hommie.

Yes, this is a really good look.

Here are a few things not to do (all of these have been done during interviews given by me or my coworkers):

Don't answer your cellphone.

Don't tell me you like to work alone because when you work with others you tend to socialize too much.

Don't forget my name twice right after I give you my business card.

Don't tell me that you like a manager who doesn't ask too much of you.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've been conducting interviews over the last few weeks and there's some solid advice in this thread.

I would add: try to come up with some specific ideas you'd like to implement that would make your work more dynamic than those who've done it in the recent past -- without coming across as too cocky or like you want to take over the spot and give it a top-to-bottom make-over.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I've been conducting interviews over the last few weeks and there's some solid advice in this thread.

I would add: try to come up with some specific ideas you'd like to implement that would make your work more dynamic than those who've done it in the recent past -- without coming across as too cocky or like you want to take over the spot and give it a top-to-bottom make-over.

Tons of good advice in this thread, nice to see some real knowledge dropped.

It's very important to know the company/school you're applying for, but also come with some questions. Even if you're just doing some quick research online, bring some info about the company to the table and how you might fit into their organization.

Another important thing I always do is BE EXTRA NICE TO THE RECEPTIONIST and other people walking around. More often than not you will end up working with these people so a strong first impression is key...they might also influence the hiring process if they are in the ear of the person doing the hiring...you just never know.

Also, arrive 15 minute early.

It's a little hokey but I always send thank you cards and or an email, so make sure you get the employer's biz card. It's a simple but effective way to say thanks and let the employer know I appreciated the opportunity.

good luck!!!!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    be prepared to be asked questions / requests like:

"so... tell me about yourself."

"what is a strength of yours?"

"what is a weakness?"

"give us an example of a problematic situation that you've encountered in a past job, and what you did to rectify the situation."

"why do you think you're a good fit for this postion?"

It's just smart to have answers to these cocked and loaded because they're always asked

bring a few copies of your resume just in case the interviewer(s) doesn't have a copy. it's also smart for you to have it as something to reference just in case, but don't use it as a script. make it a point to list details that your couldn't provide in your resume.

wear a suit.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Another important thing I always do is BE EXTRA NICE TO THE RECEPTIONIST and other people walking around. More often than not you will end up working with these people so a strong first impression is key...they might also influence the hiring process if they are in the ear of the person doing the hiring...you just never know.

Very true! In our small office, "the receptionist" is just whoever happens to be closest to the phone or the door at the moment -- but some people walking in jump to the assumption that person is "just" a secretary and treats them accordingly.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

"what is a strength of yours?"

"what is a weakness?"

Ah yes, classics of the genre. I'm thinking of the Office where Steve Carrell's character is interviewing for the job at corporate and goes overboard trying to make his weakness sound like a strength. That shit was funny.

• Whoa! Ive never had a job interview like the one I just had...must be a college thing, big ass conference room...sitting at table across from another table with 4 different folks asking alternating questions...pitcher of water, the whole nine..kinda like an interrogation. But, I think I nailed it...answered every question succinctly and lots of approving nods from the questioners as they wrote down whatever it was they were writing down when I was answering them. After I asked my questions at the end of the interview, one lady started clowning and joking around with me...so I think that is a good sign. Well, now I just wait for the phone to ring...

P.S. picked up a nice little French Blue number for my shirt to wear today..hopefully the blue shirt helped me!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    good luck!

• Make sure to get really blazed before the interview. That way if you get the job you can be blazed at work and they'll never know.

It's the first day you're sober you have to worry about. "Are you OK? You seem different."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nothing to add, but speaking as someone who just got laid off and will likely be going through what you just did...best of luck, Hook!

• Nothing to add, but speaking as someone who just got laid off and will likely be going through what you just did...best of luck, Hook!

sorry to hear that man.

i'm in the same boat! as of april 2nd. the division of the company i work for is moving to wisconsin, and i will not be moving w/ them. good luck out there.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nothing to add, but speaking as someone who just got laid off and will likely be going through what you just did...best of luck, Hook!

sorry to hear that man.

i'm in the same boat! as of april 2nd. the division of the company i work for is moving to wisconsin, and i will not be moving w/ them. good luck out there.

same to you! i left with good references and a substantial severance package, but STILL...just like a person who has had a girlfriend or boyfriend for years and is suddenly single again, it feels odd being jobless after three years at the same gig...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Best advice I ever got; Realize that if you don't get the job you're no worse off than you already are. That really helped me reduce the stress during interviews.