iBook versus Microwave...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Well, after having finally seen Microwave first-hand a couple of weeks ago, I have to have it. Call me lazy, but the option of ripping some vinyl once, and filing it away for the long term sounds appealing. I'm pretty bad about putting records back, and this would free-up floor space and keep things tidier at home. Not to mention all the upsides to DJing out with Microwave.Anyhow, I happen to have an old iBook, the version right before the "Early 2004" release. It's 933MHz with a measly 256MB of RAM. I can expand the RAM to a max of 640MB. The latest version of Microwave requires Macs to be 1GHz (933 is just short) with 1GB of RAM (640 is way short).Soooo... If this computer is dedicated to Microwave use only, with few other apps, do you think it could work properly? Or, is there a way for me to poach some parts from a more recent iBook to boost the specs? I feel like it's the RAM that will be the real issue here. Is there any way to expand beyond the so-called maximum?I would like for this computer to be useful for something.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    G4? i know several people using g4 laptops for Microwave and they've been fine. definitely max out the ram and you should be straight

• I have about that RAM (700 ish) on my dell pc...it's fine for the older versions, but 1.62 and up are probably gonna be glitchy. However, you can run 1.5 all day (might need a cooling fan, I did)...that's what setup I'm using until I can afford to upgrade my laptop.

The main drawback to that older version is you wouldn't just be able to plug into the rane 57 (still would need to bring your box)...the other extra features aren't as vital IMO (keylock, auto bpm, auto loop points, etc) My laptop is dedicated to the deel-doe... besides a lil' bpm counter and dbpoweramp.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I have about that RAM (700 ish) on my dell pc...it's fine for the older versions, but 1.62 and up are probably gonna be glitchy. However, you can run 1.5 all day (might need a cooling fan, I did)...that's what setup I'm using until I can afford to upgrade my laptop.

The main drawback to that older version is you wouldn't just be able to plug into the rane 57 (still would need to bring your box)...the other extra features aren't as vital IMO (keylock, auto bpm, auto loop points, etc) My laptop is dedicated to the deel-doe... besides a lil' bpm counter and dbpoweramp.

Okay. WTF? I have been outta the loop here for a minute. You don't need the box anymore with 1.62 if you have a rane 57? Oh wow. please to confirm.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    I have about that RAM (700 ish) on my dell pc...it's fine for the older versions, but 1.62 and up are probably gonna be glitchy. However, you can run 1.5 all day (might need a cooling fan, I did)...that's what setup I'm using until I can afford to upgrade my laptop.

Okay. WTF? I have been outta the loop here for a minute. You don't need the box anymore with 1.62 if you have a rane 57? Oh wow. please to confirm.

57SL, http://www.rane.com/ttm57sl.html

Im using a G4 iBook but it is a 1.42 with 1.5GB and it runs fine, gets really hot and freezes if i dont give it breathing room though.