UMAD?

13»

Comments

• most people deal. white folks complain.

OK, that made me laugh out loud.

And hey, if I can't get worked up over records on SoulStrut, then the internet is officially on its way out.

getting worked up about records is ok.

getting worked up about records like its a social program isnt. i mean, when have social skills and record collecting ever been related?

see BO thread

• most people deal. white folks complain.

OK, that made me laugh out loud.

And hey, if I can't get worked up over records on SoulStrut, then the internet is officially on its way out.

getting worked up about records is ok.

getting worked up about records like its a social program isnt. i mean, when have social skills and record collecting ever been related?

see BO thread

im just kidding btw.

well, kinda

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Ok, I've read every post and my point may not mean shit but here's one thing that get's me. Someone can complain about an out of towner coming in and gripping collections. Local buyers, sellers, collectors.etc should have been on top of the records in their area. Now, FUNKYOU, comes in gripes and flips oebay. Those records are gone to god knows where. Here's the thing, what's the difference if it's a local guy or out of towner buying.

I thought you said you read every post in this thread?!?!

Like most, those records end up on ebay...

Wrong.

Anyway. I'm gone.

getting worked up over records.....there only records!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Ok, I've read every post and my point may not mean shit but here's one thing that get's me. Someone can complain about an out of towner coming in and gripping collections. Local buyers, sellers, collectors.etc should have been on top of the records in their area. Now, FUNKYOU, comes in gripes and flips oebay. Those records are gone to god knows where. Here's the thing, what's the difference if it's a local guy or out of towner buying.

Wrong.

Anyway. I'm gone.

aren't you the one who posted about running into a post office yelling and tearing up shit because you thought they lost your records?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The whole issue is about character. If these dudes are doing these housecalls and blatantly ripping people off, they are the ones who have to sleep with themselves at night. This shit catches up to you in the end. I've done my fair share of housecalls in the past, and I could never look someone in the eye and try and give them $1 for a 45 I knew I could sell for $100. Its a great feeling to hand someone who just casually wanted to sell some records that were lying around for decades $30-50 bucks for one 45/LP and have them look at you like you're crazy.

The record biz makes me sick to my stomach sometimes though... its not like this Funkyou! shit is anything new. Plenty of your mom n pop shops across the US are knowingly paying people peanuts for big $$$ records and snickering as the sellers are walking out the door. Kids are on craigslist talking about "I am a broke college student record collector, please give me or sell me your records for cheap".

No ones a saint out here, just be Frickin' fair.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

• I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

DRAINAGE!![/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Don't get me wrong - I am blown away and more than impressed by
    the artwork Ness did on those boxes - but I am still trying to
    wrap my head around the fact that your store has at least 85[/b] long
    boxes of soul 45's available for sale! I mean, that pic made me want to
    jump in the truck and drive to Detroit RIGHT NOW.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Wrong.

Anyway. I'm gone.

aren't you the one who posted about running into a post office yelling and tearing up shit because you thought they lost your records?

yo man I was on steroids at the time. anyone in their right minds know steroids will do that to you!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• This whole thread contains so many ridiculous statements it's really hard to know where to start, but these points really must be made:

1. Aaron/perkinsestate does NOT work with funkyou! Any statement to the contrary is simply false.

2. Funkyou! does work with someone named Ron. Again, that person is NOT Aaron. Assuming that Ron is Aaron is simply wrong.

3. Dude has bought literally thousands upon thousands of collections and paid a range of prices -- as any reasonable person would expect to be the case. To take one hearsay anecdote -- or even a handful of third-person accounts -- and start cursing the man's name is at best irresponsible and at worst pretty bitch-like.

4. Dude is a pretty sick dj, for the record.

5. 95% of the time he does his own damned dirty work; he doesn't sit in a castle high on a hill.

6. Throwing up middle fingers and saying "fuck you funkyou!" or suggesting things get "gully" -- all on the internet -- where is that really going? Really?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well, let's get the ball rolling here, im bored!

• "man I can't believe how cheap I got this 12" collection. Thanks, Detroit!"

Jason(funkyou!) is a stand up dude, I was not trying to drag him into this with my previous post... just alluding to the type of behavior people are accusing him of on here. I don't know him well, but from what I hear and have seen personally, he is a very fair dude and puts in lots of work and energy to make the big money he gets, which is how it should be. Was not trying to call the dude out at all, and I think the #1 reason people do is JEALOUSY. So many haters in the game.

I was making the point though, that dudes out there intentionally "getting over" on people is nothing new, and if you're going about getting records the wrong way, you will catch karmic beatdowns for it.

Now back to the

• As a matter of fact this picture was taken in my basement in St. Louis while he was going through my hip-hop collection which was auctioned on consignment around September '06. I was forced to sell at the time after unexpectedly losing my job and breaking my leg. Thanks to the proceeds of that sale (thank God I sold it when I did and not after the hip-hop market crashed) my wife & I were able to keep the house we'd just bought.

Of course you won't hear those stories hanging out at Detroit record stores.

But thanks for bolstering his defense with photo exhibit A.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    As a matter of fact this picture was taken in my basement in St. Louis while he was going through my hip-hop collection which was auctioned on consignment around September '06. I was forced to sell at the time after unexpectedly losing my job and breaking my leg. Thanks to the proceeds of that sale (thank God I sold it when I did and not after the hip-hop market crashed) my wife & I were able to keep the house we'd just bought.

Actual rendering of Funkyou! & caveprecise

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    JEALOUSY.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    As a matter of fact this picture was taken in my basement in St. Louis while he was going through my hip-hop collection which was auctioned on consignment around September '06. I was forced to sell at the time after unexpectedly losing my job and breaking my leg. Thanks to the proceeds of that sale (thank God I sold it when I did and not after the hip-hop market crashed) my wife & I were able to keep the house we'd just bought.

GOD BLESS US ALL, EVERY ONE

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    How do the ethics work if you buy a collection with zero intent on reselling or profiting on said purchase?

Would that situation be exempt from this conversation?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

GOD BLESS US ALL, EVERY ONE

• How do the ethics work if you buy a collection with zero intent on reselling or profiting on said purchase?

Some people would ask you to pay more, some would say pay less.

Depends on the seller

dudes that claim to not want to "profit" are kind of disingenuous though, IMO - usually they want to have some "nice stuff to trade" or at least get killer shit for a fraction of what they'd otherwise have to pay. And, more times than not, they will cherry pick only the top tier of records leaving the collector with a bunch of dregs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How do the ethics work if you buy a collection with zero intent on reselling or profiting on said purchase?

Depends on the seller

dudes that claim to not want to "profit" are kind of disingenuous though, IMO

I man nuh deal with money; I man just wan the music

--Ras Pierre

Depends on the seller

dudes that claim to not want to "profit" are kind of disingenuous though, IMO - usually they want to have some "nice stuff to trade" or at least get killer shit for a fraction of what they'd otherwise have to pay. And, more times than not, they will cherry pick only the top tier of records leaving the collector with a bunch of dregs.

I have a hard time understanding that. If you buy something, and the outcome of said purchase never ends up in the "system", the "market value" would not apply 100% because there is no reference point to it since you're not planning on marking it up for profit down the road.

If the cash transaction ends with the purchase, the only person loosing is the person who wishes they could sell the LP to you for twice what you just paid, no?

It's more like cutting out the middle guy and buying wholesale.

• How do the ethics work if you buy a collection with zero intent on reselling or profiting on said purchase?

Depends on the seller

I have a hard time understanding that. If you buy something, and the outcome of said purchase never ends up in the "system", the "market value" would not apply 100% because there is no reference point to it since you're not planning on marking it up for profit down the road.

If the cash transaction ends with the purchase, the only person loosing is the person who wishes they could sell the LP to you for twice what you just paid, no?

It's more like cutting out the middle guy and buying wholesale.

Are you talking about buying 1 LP, or several copies of 1 LP, or 1000 LPs?

I'm having a bit of trouble with the analogy. The idea behind buying collections is to bring the collective price down through quantity and variety. I would assume that someone who is buying "not for profit" is probably interested in buying a small fraction of the same records and, IMO, should cough up something approaching a respectable price. I don't understand what "the system" has to do with anything, to me there's just "fair" and "foul".

Most instances I've experienced like what you're referring to are usually about dudes who do not want to sell their records cheap, so they aim for "private collectors who are into the music". The idea being that someone who wants a record just for their personal collection will pay more for it. Make of that what you will.

At any rate, buying collections is mostly about relationships and networking and most guys who get great collections do so by paying well and buying frequently. I don't see anyone "cutting out the middle guy" any time soon.

Are you saying that if you don't plan on reselling something, you should pay more than somebody who plans on making money of the same item?

BTW, I've never actually bought a collection, I'm just curious.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    HI!!!!

I HAVE THIS RECORD AVAILABLE FOR SALE>
    I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SELLING TO DEALERS AT ALL.
    ONLY TO PRIVATE COLLECTORS
    AND THEY MUST BE FROM MY HOMETOWN OF SVARSKI, IA
    IF THEY ARE FROM OVERSEAS OR FROM ANY NEIGHBORING VILLAGES
    I AM NOT INTERESTED>

ALSO THIS ITEM IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR RESALE
    AND PLEASE DON"T LOWBALL ME W/ ANY CHEAP OFFERS
    I KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH.

THANKS!

• Are you saying that if you don't plan on reselling something, you should pay more than somebody who plans on making money of the same item?

BTW, I've never actually bought a collection, I'm just curious.

It depends on the context, but if I were buying a handful of records for my personal collection I would feel it important to pay a fair value for them. If I'm buying a large collection full of everything from $1 records to $100+ records I will probably pay a bulk rate that factors in a fair profit.

Many collectors feel that other collectors will give them "fair prices" while dealers will not. So I think that the perception is "not for profit" buyers will pay more for a record.