• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    not to mad. just a little grumpy cause i got the strep

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Not enough sleep + =

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

funkyou has been direct mailing 'I buy collections' cards to my hood

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

funkyou has been direct mailing 'I buy collections' cards to my hood

Yeah that shit is foul, IMO. I've emailed with dude a few times in the past and he seems like a really nice guy, but this is definitely crossing a line. Especially considering that the few people he has dealt with in Detroit have come running to People's Records complaining to Br*d about how they just got ripped off.

+ =

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• funkyou has been direct mailing 'I buy collections' cards to my hood

Yeah that shit is foul, IMO. I've emailed with dude a few times in the past and he seems like a really nice guy, but this is definitely crossing a line. Especially considering that the few people he has dealt with in Detroit have come running to People's Records complaining to Br*d about how they just got ripped off.

+ =

I talked to a lady in Detroit about six months ago who had received funkyou's card in the mail and taken him up on the offer. She said that she was paid $10 for over 50 45s. Perkinsestate was the buyer who came to her house. That whole operation is foul on a lot of levels. If either of those dudes cared about records, preserving the music, DJing, etc.., it would be different, but it's strictly a money thing with them. They couldn't be further separated from the culture that made the music or the culture that appreciates the music. Funkyou is effectively exporting money from the floundering Detroit ecomonmy while also blocking the local store owners who can actually keep that money local and pay local salaries....people like Brad, Jeff, Br$ck, Bob Mays, etc...

Fuckyou!, Funkyou!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Funkyou! is based in St. Louis, right? Seems like he has plenty of room to himself, no need to stomp on Detroit, especially if he's not paying people fairly...

• Post deleted by Manduro3000

Oh Snap! I just found the sickest novelty/cash-in record ever! You dudes ever heard of a record by Funkyou! on BLAST?

Since we're taking it there and all...

• ill.
    who goes and does the dirty work for him when its time to make the housecalls?

• OK, it's late into the morning. Let's get to the truth.

My opinion counts, because I don't live in Detroit. I don't have a vested interest in seeing Funkyou!s efforts succeed or fail. I put funkyou! on blast, because I'm seeing the beautiful and delicate operation that is the record game in Detroit get fucked with, in a sense raped. When you see something beautiful get raped, you feel a great urge to do something about it....to try and prevent this from happening. I look at this situation as a current outsider who has experienced the beauty of Detroit in his past. I have seen local buyers like Brad pay the common seller far too much money for their records, because he has a heart for the city and a heart to do good things for his city and its people. I have seen flamefavs operation, where his whole staff is comprised of local Detroiters with various mental and physical disabilities. When you buy a record from flamefav, you are helping his cause. Flamefav does this because he has a heart for the city and a heart for the down and out. These things go hand in hand. Then there are kids in Detroit who are out there trying to find records, because records excite them. They are DJS. They are discographists. They are people who resonate with Detroit's song. More power to them as well. But when you come to Detroit or Gary or Baltimore or whatever struggling city, completely ignore the rules of engagement, and pillage the city's treasures solely for monetary gain.....you get put on blast. And you deserve it, because you failed to show humility and respect the culture and city that this valuable art emanated from. True story.

OK, it's late into the morning. Let's get to the truth.

My opinion counts... True story.

Double true.

Support local business!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Every major city in the U.S. had folks from overseas come take the majority of it's records back to their countries by the container load in the 70's & 80's.

Locals slept while their vinyl was exported for pennies.

Now when some guy from another state does it he's on blast??

If somebody comes in to my town and scores vinyl under my nose I have no one to blame but myself.

Step up your game.

Beat them at their own game.

But bitching about it is some sour grapes shit.

• Rich I gotta disagree... The reason many of us have been able to wrest our local scenes back from the foreign guys is by paying well. This is not a lucky "score" these are people's houses, their belongings. I know you think poor people are to blame for most of their mistakes (including faulty mortgages) but Funkyou! is not some unconcerned British dude he is a young cat who sells on ebay. I don't know the cat but I see and hear the money. Most young dudes I know are paying way fair. It's the right thing to do.

Paying fair is the shit. I just bought 100 jazz records for $1000 and I will buy a hundred more at that rate in two weeks when the guy gets back from vacation. He has great jazz records. $10/per for me is a great deal. I will make solid money. It's all fine and good to come up on a sick collection but the temptation to get it all for a song is great; Stepping up to pay well (as SHarlow said, sometimes too much) is a noble thing in this day and age.

When some guy with a big operation (but, considering it is ebay, very little overhead) comes in stepping on toes AND you find out he's paying peanuts? Well, that's just shady.

Maybe this isn't such an issue in your world, I don't know how much you're doing housecalls and collections these days (as opposed to thrifts, HPBs, distributors, etc) but when you're paying people pennies on the dollar for their PERSONAL collections, that to me is crossing a line.

• funkyou has been direct mailing 'I buy collections' cards to my hood

+ =

Yeah, the Funkyou situation's been eating at me for awhile now. Our customers have been coming in with his cards asking how much we would pay for certain records. It doesn't sound like dude pays right, and only creams the top few records off each house call, leaving people still stuck with a bunch of records and no value left in them. Time's are hard in Detroit and dare I say this is some sort of reverse carpet bagging?

It also puts local shops who due pay right in a hard spot. No records equals no money coming in, which turns into another closed store.

And as far as Perkin's goes, that dude is way foul. Any dealer that can fuck up that many auctions and let things like Lyman Woodard sell for $30 can't be paying right. Plus his buying ads look like pawn shop Ziedmans crap. No class.

On the good side, we just copped a collection from under Funkyou - Jason showed up at his doorstep and dude told him to just go away, he was selling locally. My crystal ball says he will be seeing more of that in the future. We got a few things cookin', about ready to serve.

Local dudes who this effects get at me, I have a few ideas.

MCF

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Local dudes who this effects get at me, I have a few ideas.

MCF

• go team aaron!

for real,godd luck detroit

And as far as Perkin's goes, that dude is way foul.

apparently his MO is coming over & giving you $10 for a Les Paul, I heard that he now was to go by 'Ron' because his rep got so bad - craigslist blast I guess.

Rich I gotta disagree... The reason many of us have been able to wrest our local scenes back from the foreign guys is by paying well. This is not a lucky "score" these are people's houses, their belongings. I know you think poor people are to blame for most of their mistakes (including faulty mortgages) but Funkyou! is not some unconcerned British dude he is a young cat who sells on ebay. I don't know the cat but I see and hear the money. Most young dudes I know are paying way fair. It's the right thing to do.

Paying fair is the shit. I just bought 100 jazz records for $1000 and I will buy a hundred more at that rate in two weeks when the guy gets back from vacation. He has great jazz records. $10/per for me is a great deal. I will make solid money. It's all fine and good to come up on a sick collection but the temptation to get it all for a song is great; Stepping up to pay well (as SHarlow said, sometimes too much) is a noble thing in this day and age.

When some guy with a big operation (but, considering it is ebay, very little overhead) comes in stepping on toes AND you find out he's paying peanuts? Well, that's just shady.

Maybe this isn't such an issue in your world, I don't know how much you're doing housecalls and collections these days (as opposed to thrifts, HPBs, distributors, etc) but when you're paying people pennies on the dollar for their PERSONAL collections, that to me is crossing a line.

#1 I don't distinguish between rich/poor/smart/dumb/educated/uneducated... I blame ALL people for THEIR mistakes. One of the problems with our society is responsibility is being replaced by "who can I blame". If Funkyou scored a killer collection off some ex-GM exec with a 4 year degree and a million dollar home you'd look at it differently??

#2 $1,000 for 100 Jazz records doesn't mean much if they are 10" Dials and deep groove Blue Notes.....your analogy by itself doesn't mean much. Tell me you're gonna sell them all for an average of 20 bucks and I'll see your point.

#3 I've been at this game long enough to know that every dealer who misses out on a deal claims the guy who made the score paid too little, and will tell the seller such out of jealousy and spite. I bet it's happened to you.

#4 I live in a town where 90% of the used records bought are purchased by HPB for pennies, yet sick collections keep walking in the door on the regular. "Fair" is a relative term.

#5 The only money discussed here about this Funkyou dude(who I don't know) is that he paid $10.00 for 50 45's......but what were they?? It might have been 5 dollars more than you or I would have paid.

#6 "Record Territories" is some dumbass shit.

#7 I'm comin' to Detroit.....warn the neighborhood.

I'm comin' to Detroit.....warn the neighborhood.

we don't have a HPB here, sorry.

I'm comin' to Detroit.....warn the neighborhood.

we don't have a HPB here, sorry.

Underestimating the competition will bite you in the ass.

I'm not really coming to D, too damn cold for my ass.

I've been at this shit for 25+ years.

I've bought sick collections in places as varied as Memphis, Decorah, Iowa and Houma, Louisiana.

I'm sure you'd consider me some sort of "carpet-bagger"

I try to pay fair prices but it is indeed a relative term.

The price a dealer pays to resell at vs. the price a collector pays to keep can be very different.

I've actually been told I don't "deserve" to buy records to resell as it's not fair to the "collectors".

I give props to someone ambitious enough to print up and send out cards to buy collections.

Maybe the locals should do the same, or better, you certainly have an advantage over some guy in another state.

I try to pay fair prices but it is indeed a relative term.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

god can someone take a better picture of this and send it to me. i want to put this image on a tshirt. those boxes are fresh! trius, money, magic touch, m-pac, etc!!!

god can someone take a better picture of this and send it to me. i want to put this image on a tshirt. those boxes are fresh! trius, money, magic touch, m-pac, etc!!!

ness did all those, every 45 box in the store actually - pretty neat

Maybe the locals should do the same, or better, you certainly have an advantage over some guy in another state.

locals do do the same

dudes also drive around & rip down each others 'I buy records' posters

thats the welcome wagon we got here

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

locals do do the same

dudes also drive around & rip down each others 'I buy records' posters

thats the welcome wagon we got here

Has anybody taken a sledgehammer to the I BUY RECORDS park bench ad (on Greenfield?) with the Soul Expedition cover on it yet??

• #2 $1,000 for 100 Jazz records doesn't mean much if they are 10" Dials and deep groove Blue Notes.....your analogy by itself doesn't mean much. Tell me you're gonna sell them all for an average of 20 bucks and I'll see your point.

We are talking, with a small handful of exceptions, 60s and 70s Impulse and Blue Note titles. The average price is $20. There are maybe 6 or 7 records in the bunch that I will sell for $40-150. There are maybe 30 that I will sell for $15. The majority will be sold in the $20-30 range. I am not getting rich on it; I'll probably triple my money. That is a fair mark-up. I recently traveled to Florida and paid about 4 grand for 700 records. In there were baller items like Michael Jackson "Thriller" and Fontella Bass "Rescue Me" 80s issue. Sheba Baby OST with a completely split cover. I don't know a lot of ebay dealers who will buy 3 copies of Delegation on Mercury. It's easy to point fingers at guys out there buying collections but I am not buying 20 records with an average value of $67.50. I am not cherry picking the titles worth $40 and up and leaving the owner to hold the bag. I do believe there is a right and wrong way to do things in this business.