Flaming Ember..."Westbound #9"..

Hoosier_DaddyHoosier_Daddy 141 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I won't front,i just heard this song for the first time today,thank's to someone posting the video on YouTubeGreat songI'm not real familiar with Flaming Ember other than "Gotta Get Away" which of course was sampled by Diamond DWhat' some other songs that are good from these guys?

Comments

• Filet de Soul

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I won't front,i just heard this song for the first time today,thank's to someone posting the video on YouTube

Great song

I'm not real familiar with Flaming Ember other than "Gotta Get Away" which of course was sampled by Diamond D

What' some other songs that are good from these guys?

"Songs" is right, since their two albums are quite uneven. Here's some more:
    "If It's Good To You (It's Good For You)"
    "Mind, Body & Soul"
    "I'm Not My Brother's Keeper"
    "Shades Of Green"
    "Don't You Wanna Wanna"

I also started a "Rare Earth Vs. Flaming Ember" thread some time back...

• on their other album they have what might be the gayest(as in the love between two men) song ever..."Ding needs Dong", it is beyond ridiculous....

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    One of those Chicago Beach Music comps they do a great tune called "far way places" credited as just "The Embers".

• One of those Chicago Beach Music comps they do a great tune called "far way places" credited as just "The Embers".

I might be wrong, but Im sure its a different group..The Embers are a Carolina band with lots of releases, a HUGE name in the beach music scene...Flaming Ember were from Detroit...

One of those Chicago Beach Music comps they do a great tune called "far way places" credited as just "The Embers".

I might be wrong, but Im sure its a different group..The Embers are a Carolina band with lots of releases, a HUGE name in the beach music scene...Flaming Ember were from Detroit...

You're right. The Embers are (or were?) an established name on the beach music circuit, and "Faraway Places" was their signature song. Although the "Westbound #9" guys started out as the Flaming Embers[/b], this band is totally unrelated.

And the beach music scene is in the Carolinas, not Chicago. Down here in the Chi, we don't shag, we step.

on their other album they have what might be the gayest(as in the love between two men) song ever..."Ding needs Dong", it is beyond ridiculous....

I never read that much into it, but "Stop The World & Let Me Off" has a lyric where the lead singer discovers his girlfriend is bisexual...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "1200 Miles" is one of their best.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    my favorite is 'Hey Mama (Whatcha Got Good For Daddy)' it's a 45 only thing on Ric-Tic - produced by George Clinton too.

• my favorite is 'Hey Mama (Whatcha Got Good For Daddy)' it's a 45 only thing on Ric-Tic - produced by George Clinton too.

yes, and a cheapie. always elicits inquisitive stares at the turntable. which came first, that or the ace jones that sounds really similar?