Swamp Dogg on The Sound of Young America

YoungAmericanYoungAmerican 16 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hey gang...Swamp Dogg is the guest on my public radio show, The Sound of Young America, this week.If you don't know about Swamp, you should get on that.If you live in New York, you can hear the show on WNYC Sunday at 6PM... if you're in Philly you can hear it on WHYY Friday night at 9PM. Otherwise, just listen to the podcast version linked above... that has discussion of Swamp's weird country career that isn't included in the radio version.I'd love to hear what people think about the show. On the radio, it'll run with this interview with Oliver Wang, and folks might also be interested in checking out this interview with Betty Davis on the show.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I used to sometimes catch the show on the way to parking my work truck. I really enjoyed the guy who's album was titled Spiderman of the Rings. There was another show with a dude--who I think was from Brooklyn--that made Album Leafish hip hopped out music; that was nice.

Altogether I enjoy what I've heard. I was surprised to see that you post on here. How do you go about picking the artists that you're featuring?

• I used to sometimes catch the show on the way to parking my work truck. I really enjoyed the guy who's album was titled Spiderman of the Rings. There was another show with a dude--who I think was from Brooklyn--that made Album Leafish hip hopped out music; that was nice.

Altogether I enjoy what I've heard. I was surprised to see that you post on here. How do you go about picking the artists that you're featuring?

The first dude was Dan Deacon. Here's my show with him. Neither most electronic music, nor the sort of Steve Reich-y contemporary composers that Deacon is in some ways a follower of do much for me, but I love Dan to bits. The excitement and passion in his music is just unmatched.

Not sure who the second dude you're alluding to is/was. Maybe Greg Saunier from Deerhoof. They're from SF, though.

As far as picking artists... I just follow my own personal interests. Like with Swamp, I'm just a huge fan of his. He was on like five years ago, and he's just the greatest guy in the world, really funny and nice and so on. Great guy. I like that he's a hustler, too, still making records and gigging around the world.

One of the cool things about having your own radio show is you really do get to pick... I mean there are lots of people who I'd love to have on who I couldn't book, but there are plenty who I can. So if I see something cool, I can just be like, "yeah, I should book that dude on my show."