Quick Watts 103rd St. Band question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
On the song, "My Summer's Gone" on I>Together[/i], that's Gadson on vocals, right?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    On the song, "My Summer's Gone" on I>Together[/i], that's Gadson on vocals, right?

Yes, it is.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yes, it is.

Danke.

And I could be wrong, but looking over "Together," is "A Dance, a Kiss and a Song" the only original songwriting on there? (I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    (I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

ouch. one of my favorite tracks of theirs!

• On the song, "My Summer's Gone" on I>Together[/i], that's Gadson on vocals, right?

Yes, it is.

Danke.

And I could be wrong, but looking over "Together," is "A Dance, a Kiss and a Song" the only original songwriting on there? (I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

in the jungle baby?

(I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

I'm not shitting on it. I'm just saying: there's no real songwriting there. It's a great groove but "get on the floor and do your thing" is all there is to it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

I'm not shitting on it. I'm just saying: there's no real songwriting there. It's a great groove but "get on the floor and do your thing" is all there is to it.

i took "literally, nothing else" too harshly.

• its alright

• its outta sight

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    A little off subject, but I heard a cover of "Express Yourself" in a Botox ad last night. While I can't complain about funk staples being used in the mainstream, it's kind of stupid that they are always used in commercials to sell women pills, vanity products and other bullshit

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

yeah, not saying its a bad song.

looking over "Together," is "A Dance, a Kiss and a Song" the only original songwriting on there? (I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

Then you wouldn't count "Phuncky Bill" either, 'cause it's just a Bill Cannon trombone solo over a vamp. And just like "D.Y.T." was credited to "Charles Wright & Associates," "Phuncky Bill" was "penned" by "Bill Cannon & Assoc.".

Others:
    "Giggin' Down 103rd"
    "My Summer's Gone"
    "65 Bars & A Taste Of Soul"
    "Sorry Charlie"

looking over "Together," is "A Dance, a Kiss and a Song" the only original songwriting on there? (I don't count "Do Your Thing" mostly b/c it's a hook and literally, nothing else).

Then you wouldn't count "Phuncky Bill" either, 'cause it's just a Bill Cannon trombone solo over a vamp. And just like "D.Y.T." was credited to "Charles Wright & Associates," "Phuncky Bill" was "penned" by "Bill Cannon & Assoc.".

Others:
    "Giggin' Down 103rd"
    "My Summer's Gone"
    "Sorry Charlie"

Actually, when I say "original songwriting" I just meant in terms of lyrics. I should probably make sure to make that distinction more clear.

Others:
    "Giggin' Down 103rd"
    "My Summer's Gone"
    "Sorry Charlie"

Actually, when I say "original songwriting" I just meant in terms of lyrics. I should probably make sure to make that distinction more clear.

Then it's down to "My Summer's Gone" (written and sung by James Gadson). 'Cause the other originals (besides "A Dance, Etc.") are either instrumentals or "Do Your Thing."

Then it's down to "My Summer's Gone" (written and sung by James Gadson). 'Cause the other originals (besides "A Dance, Etc.") are either instrumentals or "Do Your Thing."

Ah, for some reason, I thought that was a cover too. Go Gadson!

I've thought a lot about this lately, but imagine what the group could have been like if Gadson and Wright had been more like partners vs. rivals.

I've thought a lot about this lately, but imagine what the group could have been like if Gadson and Wright had been more like partners vs. rivals.

No lie. It's always frustrating when a band's last album is their best, and if these guys could have stayed together past the incredible You're So Beautiful, they would have taken the seventies by storm.

No lie. It's always frustrating when a band's last album is their best, and if these guys could have stayed together past the incredible You're So Beautiful, they would have taken the seventies by storm.

Especially if Al McKay had stayed around and brought some of that future EWF flavor into the mix. That said, as a vocalist, I think Wright would have had to step back and let Gadson into the mix more for that to happen effectively. Regardless, it's one of the big "what could have beens" in that world.