Killer Of Sheep on TCM mon nite (check local list)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Tune in...Set yr Tivos or VCRS or whatever you gotta do to ...(missing "get familiar" graemlin)

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    i just ordered the dvd on amazon. I was sick of waiting for it to have a screening in my area. I can't wait.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Great film, enjoy!

Funny how growing up Turner was a name synonymous with colorization and otherwise bastardizing film catalogs, and now that channel is a hallmark of quality. Taped a lot of great, n/a films noir off that channel before my VCR gave out.

• Got this dvd as a x-mas gift- great film. HOWEVER, watch Barnette's other films and the "genius" begins to wear off.

That latest Katrina short that they included on the DVD is a straight JOKE! He just kept trying to do the same thing, and got worse.

I suppose it's worth it for the laughs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    To Sleep with Anger is a must-see imo. Quiet, light-touch film with some heavy things going on in it. Looks and feels like a stage play. I will never see Danny Glover as a friendly face again!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Great film, enjoy!

Funny how growing up Turner was a name synonymous with colorization and otherwise bastardizing film catalogs, and now that channel is a hallmark of quality. Taped a lot of great, n/a films noir off that channel before my VCR gave out.

Yeah, they took AMC's formula, made it better with little tweaks like preserving original aspect ratio, keeping original programming restricted to documentaries, and allowing foreign flicks. And now, AMC feels like the bastardization we originally expected from Turner. Full circle or something.

Got this dvd as a x-mas gift- great film. HOWEVER, watch Barnette's other films and the "genius" begins to wear off.

Eh, most directors who made great films in 1977 make crap films these days.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    It is available on Netflix for those who are having difficulty finding it. I tried watching it over the holidays with guests, and they weren't really into it. I watched it by myself and got a lot more out of it.

• I have it from Netflix right now. It put me to sleep...twice. I suppose watching films in bed adds to that, but the film really doesn't seem to be going anywhere. My girl likes it, but it's mostly about the cute little girl for her.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "You're as tasteless as a carrot!"

I don't think I would feel the same about it if I had watched it on TV either. This applies to most films for me. Great dramas on a movie screen get reduced to a good soap opera on the TV.

Slightly related, Shadows, another B&W 'slow-moving' drama, is one of my favourite films, but on I can't watch it on TV at all.

Yeah, I've seen a wide range of reactions to this film. I hosted a screening within the film fest I work for last May... the star was there as well as the distributor who oversaw the rerelease. That screening had a massive turn-out, very diverse crowd in all respects, got standing ovations, etc.

Subsequently it ran for a week in the local art-house. I went on a weekend night and watched it with a "crowd" of 20 older white people, at least half of which walked out before 40 of its 80 minutes had elapsed. It's a slow-moving, vignette/slice-of-life movie, and not everyone's going to be down with that.

Are people up on this one? Also highly recommended.