Bobby Fischer RIP

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Incredible player.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Indeed. One of my dad's heroes growing up. It is terrible that our government put him into exile and hiding for playing a game of chess in the wrong country. A true mastermind, RIP.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    A true genius, R.I.P.
    He was a big fan of soul music aswell.

Indeed. One of my dad's heroes growing up. It is terrible that our government put him into exile and hiding for playing a game of chess in the wrong country. A true mastermind, RIP.

Yeah, he faced 10 years in prison for this. Ridiculous.

• There are stories that he and mingus were in a mental ward together... there is a book ther, for sure.

rip to a brilliant, and troubled, man.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Brilliant guy. Also, towards the end of his life, a raving nutbag. He gave an interview on the day of 9-11 saying how pleased he was by the attack. He later gave interviews calling for the execution of the Jewish leaders in America, George W Bush etc.. While i agree Fischer should not have been sentenced to jail time for playing a rematch against Spasky in Sarejevo, his decision in 1992 to play the game there was an endorsement of Serbian ethnic cleansing in a sense. So brilliant chess player, gave America an important public diplomacy victory in the cold war, who over time went batshit crazy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There's a thin line between genius and lunatic.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    RIP

• fischer's combination vs schweber...
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1044333

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Bobby Fischer RIP

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Spassky- Fischer Game1

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

and this piece of shit dirtbag crossed it when he called for the death to Jews based on nothing more than their ethnicity.

Fuck a Fischer, he should of stayed out of the public eye instead of coming back out to spit the garbage out that he chose to spit.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200212/chun

I'll pray for his soul, but I won't like it.

• There's a thin line between genius and lunatic.

29. ..., Bxh2

• dude was an unapologetic racist.

fuck him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Today I will remember the man who radically changed the game of chess and electrified the country with his dynamic play. It's hard to comprehend how exciting his rise and dominance in the chess world was.

His later rants were the result of mental illness I'm sure. We should pity not curse him. All (I hope) who heard him, knew they were listing to the ravings of a mad man.