Plaese to limit Hoosier Daddy's poasting

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I know it's grammatically correct (or is it that it has just been widely adopted?) but in the case of plural dates and acronyms especially; 1970's, DJ's.

No, it's entirely incorrect according to the Chicago Manual of Style, and it bothers me too. Technically, those are possessive forms.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Faux, please don't.....but take it easy on the kid will ya!

i second this sentiment.

I know it's grammatically correct (or is it that it has just been widely adopted?) but in the case of plural dates and acronyms especially; 1970's, DJ's.

No, it's entirely incorrect according to the Chicago Manual of Style, and it bothers me too. Technically, those are possessive forms.

I think the Chicago Manual's is gay. AP Stylebook or nothing.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

I think people get confused with decades because they're used to seeing them represented as '70s, '80s, etc... which, unless I'm very mistaken, are correct. I used to do some copy editing professionally so these things can bug me a lot, too. But what bugs me more is when I catch myself doing them from time to time -- I've been known to drop a "their" instead of a "they're," for instance.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can we mark this as the day that Thank's![/b] entered the Soulstrut laexicon???

I know I'm in the wrong thread - but there's a pet peeve right there. Apostrophes in the wrong place drive me nuts.

You would lose your mind reading the kind of student papers I get from college juniors and seniors.

I think people get confused with decades because they're used to seeing them represented as '70s, '80s, etc... which, unless I'm very mistaken, are correct.

Those are correct, although if you have the option of using the reverse apostrophe, you should (as it indicates that the letters were removed from that side of the apostrophe).

Totally nerding out right now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

You know Yuichi dissed your style manual of choice, right? Aren't they some fightin words right there?

I know I'm in the wrong thread - but there's a pet peeve right there. Apostrophes in the wrong place drive me nuts.

You would lose your mind reading the kind of student papers I get from college juniors and seniors.

You should just return them with "[color:red]Learn how to spell and make sense,before you make dumb paper[/color]" written at the top.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    C'mon man,take you internet message board anger somewhere else

Faux_Rillz' internet message board anger = 1 of the 4 Elements of Soul Strut.

You know Yuichi dissed your style manual of choice, right? Aren't they some fightin words right there?

Nah. Anyone who disses The Chicago Manual of Style disses themselves. Although the AP Stylebook is useful for its briefing on media law.

Nerding out even harder.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Yo, Great Blue Hills, with your avatar, it's like Augustus from the Baltimore Sun is directly schooling me on how to write an article.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    My love for soulstrut has returned!!!

"You don't know the true and you don't know me"
    Did anyone make a graemlin out of this yet?

Nah. Anyone who disses The Chicago Manual of Style disses themselves. Although the AP Stylebook is useful for its briefing on media law.

Nerding out even harder.

lol... i assume you do this for a living? I did some fill-ins for Bmore's City Paper and enjoyed it but couldn't see doing it from week to week. Stress was intense some days, and you carried it with you over the weekend since paper went to press late Monday/early Tuesday.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Whoa! Please respect the The Wire-Soulstrut code and please keep comments to dedicated threads for those of us using every ounce of strength to not read about Season 5 til we can see it.

Thank You.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    1 new thread per day?

1 new poast per day?

Thank you plaese yes.

POAST?

PLAESE?

Learn how to spell and make sense,before you make dumb post

I haven't made dumb post/reply on here,so why you all up in my business like that

Keep my name out ya mouth

Thank's!

-----I had to make you famous...

Nerding out even harder.

lol... i assume you do this for a living? I did some fill-ins for Bmore's City Paper and enjoyed it but couldn't see doing it from week to week. Stress was intense some days, and you carried it with you over the weekend since paper went to press late Monday/early Tuesday.

I write professionally, but not for a daily paper. I freelanced for a while, but got tired of being constantly broke. Now I'm only broke for a couple of days before my biweekly paycheck.

Nerding out even harder.

Down worry, I'm obviously just messin'.

Nerding out even harder.

I write professionally, but not for a daily paper. I freelanced for a while, but got tired of being constantly broke. Now I'm only broke for a couple of days before my biweekly paycheck.

I hear that... I tried to make a living freelancing but didn't last long. After two years of poverty I made my move and climbed a rung to near-poverty.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    My love for soulstrut has returned!!!

Yes, of course. The "true." I completely misquoted above. My apologies.

Nerding out even harder.

Down worry, I'm obviously just messin'.

Nah, I knew it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

You would lose your mind reading the kind of student papers articles I get from college juniors and seniors professional writers.

It's hard out here for a pimp. And by "pimp" I mean "copy editor."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

but of course! I can't remember who made it but here you go:

Or even better: Bombay TV

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Hoosier_Daddy, where is your avatar homie?

Hook-it-up!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Faux: nicely played, sir.

Yeah,thank's "0-DUB" for that nice comment and support for FAUX

That's coming from a guy(me) that's been reading your blog since you were showing rare records and giving reviews about them..So,that's what,6 years or so

Again,Thank's for the support "0-DUB" keep up the good work

I would like to point out that this diss is more subtle becuz it actually says "zero-dub" vs "Odub".

• and the court coward returns...

Not sure if I'd call Faux a "coward". I think "crumudgeon" is more appropriate term to in this instance.

wasn't talking about faux, but about dudes who hide behind their little hateful aliases. sound familiar?

• dudes who hide behind their little hateful aliases.

I Frickin' hate those guys.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

WHO THE HELL IS TEACHING THE CHILDREN????

Kanye West, Harry Potter, and US Weekly.

I would like to point out that this diss is more subtle becuz it actually says "zero-dub" vs "Odub".

Welcome to the brave new world of:

1) Post-Prop 13 de-funding of school districts
    2) No Child Left Behind focus on "fundamentals" with scant focus on basic writing skills

Some of my students are former ESL kids but overall, the writing is UNIFORMLY TERRIBLE. It's so obviously a product of the K-12 system here in CA. I'm sure Joel or Anna could elaborate further.

As well, the college doesn't make writing a major requirement for matriculation either.