MPC 5000 (NAMM related)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I don't know if I would trust the newer Akai models....
    Honestly they've been coming out with mediocre products for awhile...
    Take it back to the 3000 or even MPC 2000xl .....

• Looks like a pretty nice machine, judging by this quote the Linn Drum II and MV8800 got 'em shook...

The MPC5000's virtual analog synth eliminates need for external analog synth modules or buggy software based synthesizers. The new 8-track direct to disk recorder lets you produce your whole song in the MPC and then mix it down with the internal sequenced programs and any input thru material. Add the optional CD/DVD drive and you can then burn an audio or data CD or your mix.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Haha $3500? The Linndrum II is going to be at or below $1000. GTFOWTBS. This is just Akai biting ideas off the MV8800 and the Linndrum, and doing so very poorly.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    The MPC5000's virtual analog synth eliminates need for external analog synth modules or buggy software based synthesizers.[/b] The new 8-track direct to disk recorder lets you produce your whole song in the MPC and then mix it down with the internal sequenced programs and any input thru material. Add the optional CD/DVD drive and you can then burn an audio or data CD or your mix.

wow, that's ironic. considering all of their past, what...four models(?) have been buggy to death. take the 1k for instance, it took an ex employee to fix up that os.

who cares about direct recording when almost everyone has a computer these days?

this 5k is nonsense, but that's what i expected from numark. catering to the low end market with a high end price.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Haha $3500? The Linndrum II is going to be at or below $1000. GTFOWTBS. This is just Akai biting ideas off the MV8800 and the Linndrum, and doing so very poorly.
    The Linndrum II is estimated to be at $1000 for the digital version and $1500 for the analog one. This machine isn't really comparable to the Linndrum II because it's more of a workstation.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Dave Smith just came out with a desktop Prophet '08. I was about to buy a keyboard version but now I gotta decide between the two...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I think you'll be surprised at what the Linn is capable of. On first inspection I was pretty hyped on the 5000, but the additions just aren't enough to really justify the price - the funtions are pretty damn close to the 2500/1000 jj os and the synth would be pretty tedious to actually play. I'm feeling the screen and the extra q-links but it's not a real giant leap.

And Akai really shouldn't be talking shit about buggy os' - they invented it!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think you'll be surprised at what the Linn is capable of.
    I know exactly what the Linndrum II is capable of and am considering purchasing it but I don't see the point comparing it to something hard disk recording and all that other shit. I will more than likely never purchase a new Akai product ever again and do see this MPC as overpriced but all the extra stuff is going to be a bit more expensive than just a straight drum machine/sequencer.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    I think you'll be surprised at what the Linn is capable of.
    I know exactly what the Linndrum II is capable of and am considering purchasing it but I don't see the point comparing it to something hard disk recording and all that other shit. I will more than likely never purchase a new Akai product ever again and do see this MPC as overpriced but all the extra stuff is going to be a bit more expensive than just a straight drum machine/sequencer.

agreed, there's no way you can compare the two.

i feel exactly the same way and will never purchase a new akai product again. numark singlehandedly destroyed the brand as expected.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    anyone know what kind of units Akai is moving on the various MPC's, I just can't bring myself to belive these machines are still relevent.. does the world really need 5 different MPC models?

anyway, anyone heard JJ is making a whole new new mpc 1000 OS?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    ^^^^
    True - it'll be interesting to see what sort of people cop this, and whether the os is up to par. I think they've got a hard sell ahead of them - it's a hell of a lot of money, even with the extra features. I'm sure even akai know their latest machines have hardly been praised for their durability, so they'll have their work cut out for them convincing people to drop that sort of money.

I think the Linn is a winner for me thanks to it's live possibilities - endless menu's are not an option on stage.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone know what kind of units Akai is moving on the various MPC's, I just can't bring myself to belive these machines are still relevent.. does the world really need 5 different MPC models?
    Akai's marketing campaign is actually pretty good. Get all the producers kiddies dig to endorse whatever garbage they are putting out and kids gobble it up. They are catering to computer users more and more and I'm pretty sure they'll eventually abandon MPCs in the near future.

anyway, anyone heard JJ is making a whole new new mpc 1000 OS?
    Yeah, shit should be straight.

• I don't know if anyone watched the video, but how lazy is a someone that they need the ability to "play a beat with one pad"?

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/bragging/museum.shtml :

"In 1997, Akai released the less expensive MPC2000. Although the MPC2000 draws substantially from Roger Linn's MPC60and MPC3000 design ideas, Roger Linn was not involved in the design of the MPC2000."

Linndrum II

• I swear by my mpc 60II with the roger linn upgrade...Shit knocks...

• that dude from video kinda looked liked harry potter
    like if harry potter worked for akai and his only magic trick was learning out how to turn buttons for instructional videos.

i would buy one of those new mpcs
    some of the features are nice, some are too much.
    if i bought one though the lid must come of and mailed to forat for a chrome dust.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    it looks like it has quite a few interesting features all in one box, but the price is a bit steep and im sure the sound cant touch the 60/3000s.
    whats strange to me is the target market they are tryin to reach with the intial video. it damn sure aint a hip hop market.

• The money is in techno and live performances. Hiphop producers still want the old 60/3000.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Couldn't find a better thread for this. These youtube videos really give you a good idea of how Namm was.

Show overview

- spidey

• the heck with all these new drum machine akai mpc 60 and emu sp1200 are where it's at

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i been diggin that moog voyager old school idea
    seriously contemplating a purchase

• I swear by my mpc 60II with the roger linn upgrade...Shit knocks...

ditto. just got the os upgrade and im