digital camera strut

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
At the moment I have a Kodak Easy Share CX7300. But it's only 3.2 mega pixels & doesn't do the business at all as far as getting good quality shots of records & labels go. I need to upgrade, but seeing as I am an idiot when it comes to cameras I want something easy to use. The one I have is good in that area because I turn it on, point at the object, take the photo, plug it into the computer & then open it up to download the pics. So I don't want a camera that makes me breakfast, does my laundry & needs me to have a international camera drivers license to use it. I want to get good quality snaps of 45 labels, LP covers & of course non-music pics too with the minimum amount of hassle What brands/models/number of mega pixels do you recommend??

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Highly recommended.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    on the Canon PowerShot cameras. I've carried one for years and love it.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'll cosine on the Canon Powershot tip, had one for years and served me well. For the last year I've been using Panasonic DMC-LX2 which has a Leica lens and is quite affordable for a 10 megapixel machine. Also shoots RAW format so if you want to blow up your pics, you can.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, thanks, I just ordered a Powershot A570IS this morning, so hopefully that will do the trick for 45 labels. 7.1 megapixels or somesuch.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'll cosine on the Canon Powershot tip, had one for years and served me well. For the last year I've been using Panasonic DMC-LX2 which has a Leica lens and is quite affordable for a 10 megapixel machine. Also shoots RAW format so if you want to blow up your pics, you can.

!!!!

Finally found a compact camera with manual controls, a RAW option, and SLR picture quality. It was not cheap but worth the price tag for a photo snob like myself... though... yes it has the Panasonic Lumix sensor and the Panasonic can be aquired for $200 less.... but it's much cooler to own a Leica.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    realistically anything above 6mp is good enough. Actually the higher the mp, the more noisy your pics will get as cramming that many mp's onto a small sensor is idiotic. However, companies do it because mp # is the most marketable spec, even if it has little correlation to picture quality.

The fuji f30/f31 is the standard in performance for p&s, it has been discontinued and replaced w/ a 12mp unit that succumbs to the megapixel race all manufacturers are into.

The panasonic/leica are cool since they're wide angle, their iso performance leaves something to be desired though.

Pfffff...

GO HARD OR GO HOME

• The panasonic/leica are cool since they're wide angle, their iso performance leaves something to be desired though.

True that - I have a Panasonic TZ-1 that I bought when I was in Japan... Lens is good but the noise in the photos is crazy...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    No one's got a DSLR?

• A DSLR might be overkill if all dude wants is a simple point & shoot to take flicks of 45s...

A DSLR might be overkill if all dude wants is a simple point & shoot to take flicks of 45s...

Yeah - I mean, I love my Nikon DSLR but it doesn't really fit in my pocket. I need a good point n' shoot in my life.

• parenparen 537 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't need a D-SLR. But I'd like the next best thing that doesn't look like an effing Purse Camera. I'm trying to stick to around $300-350. I've narrowed it down to 3:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18S

or

Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS

or

Canon PowerShot SX100IS

Or are there others I'm unaware of at that range? Preferably, I'd like a 10x optical zoom.

First of all, what's wrong with a "purse camera"? You don't like convenience? The pictures I've seen taken with a simple, $150 digital point and shoot often is far more superior than pictures taken with a more powerful camera that someone doesn't know how to use efficiently.

And shit, if you're going to spend the money on something the size of a D-SLR, just buy the D-SLR; it's not that much more for some of the entry-level models and you'll appreciate the speed.

I don't need a D-SLR. But I'd like the next best thing that doesn't look like an effing Purse Camera. I'm trying to stick to around $300-350. I've narrowed it down to 3:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18S

or

Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS

or

Canon PowerShot SX100IS

Or are there others I'm unaware of at that range? Preferably, I'd like a 10x optical zoom.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Pfffff...

GO HARD OR GO HOME

That costs more than one of my cars... without the lens.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    First of all, what's wrong with a "purse camera"? You don't like convenience? The pictures I've seen taken with a simple, $150 digital point and shoot often is far more superior than pictures taken with a more powerful camera that someone doesn't know how to use efficiently.

And shit, if you're going to spend the money on something the size of a D-SLR, just buy the D-SLR; it's not that much more for some of the entry-level models and you'll appreciate the speed.

What I said was an independent comment, apropos of nothing else. I was not commenting on your camera choice or you as a person.

Some of the slim cameras (like the Sony G1, which also has nice internal storage) cost as much or more as the ones I highlighted, so it's not really a money call there. I know a thing or two about cameras, but I don't really travel or take a lot of photos. The main reason why I want a bigger camera is that I want a high optical zoom rate for flexibility with my shots.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    getting good quality shots of records & labels go.

my girlfriend just bought some sony camera with this super-close-up macro mode on it, i took pictures of my fingertip, a penny, some fabric, all like a quarter-inch away from the subject, crystal clear detailed pics. probably better for taking pictures of the GROOVES of a record...