Question about a Flirtations recording

ChappuhChappuh 53 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I've got The Flirtations "How Can You Tell Me?" on Deram and it sounds like there's a lot of wow and flutter going on. I've tried rerecording the tune to see if it was just a platter artifact I was encountering but I've since decided that maybe this pressing was bootleg/import and was a product of a faulty master/reel-to-reel recording.Any opinions?I'll get some pics of the label up when my camera recharges.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just ran upstairs & played my copy on Deram, plays fine.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    If it's on Deram, then the original issue is from the UK, as that's where the group was based from ca. 1967 onwards. So it shouldn't a bootleg. Could it be that your copy has a pressing flaw?

• If it's on Deram, then the original issue is from the UK, as that's where the group was based from ca. 1967 onwards. So it shouldn't a bootleg. Could it be that your copy has a pressing flaw?

That seems likely. I don't know that any of the Flirtations 45s were ever rare enough to be bootlegged.

If it's on Deram, then the original issue is from the UK, as that's where the group was based from ca. 1967 onwards. So it shouldn't a bootleg. Could it be that your copy has a pressing flaw?

That seems likely. I don't know that any of the Flirtations 45s were ever rare enough to be bootlegged.
    Ha ha, truth right there. If you've got a pressing flawed copy just drop the $1 on a replacement copy, it's a strong double sider with "Nothing But A Heartache" on the flip for bonus KFC advertising credits great 45.

On a semi-related note, anyone know why their "Need Your Loving" was released with two different flips on Deram? One with "South Carolina" & another with "I Wanna Be There". They both look to be from the same time period.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I don't know that any of the Flirtations 45s were ever rare enough to be bootlegged.

Raer.

I don't know that any of the Flirtations 45s were ever rare enough to be bootlegged.
    That's not just raer though, it's MYTHICAL raer Automatically disqualified because you never see that one ever.

• If it's on Deram, then the original issue is from the UK, as that's where the group was based from ca. 1967 onwards. So it shouldn't a bootleg. Could it be that your copy has a pressing flaw?

Ha ha, truth right there. If you've got a pressing flawed copy just drop the $1 on a replacement copy, it's a strong double sider with "Nothing But A Heartache" on the flip for bonus KFC advertising credits
    great 45.

On a semi-related note, anyone know why their "Need Your Loving" was released with two different flips on Deram? One with "South Carolina" & another with "I Wanna Be There". They both look to be from the same time period.

That's not the copy I have. The copy I have has "Someone Out There" on the flip. Also, it says "Made In Holland" on the label?

• ahh nevermind i guess it's my needle

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Nothing But A Heartache was a big hit at the time, both in Europe and US, so it was probably released in a lot of places. I still doubt it was bootlegged, at least not in Europe.

• honestly, i don't know anything about bootlegs, etc i was just throwing words out there.
    just wanted to confirm that i didn't have a weird copy.
    just confirms that i have a fucked tonearm.

Ha ha, truth right there. If you've got a pressing flawed copy just drop the $1 on a replacement copy, it's a strong double sider with "Nothing But A Heartache" on the flip for bonus KFC advertising credits
    great 45.

That's not the copy I have. The copy I have has "Someone Out There" on the flip. Also, it says "Made In Holland" on the label?
    OK, you've got a dutch press of their first UK 45 that was released on Parrot in the UK. The "Nothing But A Heartache" version came out as a replacement flip for the Xmas song that was on the original UK press of that 45. The coupling I have is how it was released everywhere except for the original UK release I believe. Regardless, those dutch pressings are notorious for playing like biscuits. So it's probably a pressing flaw. Grab a US or somewhere else press of the "Nothing But A Heartache" version of it & you should be set.

• Ahh, hahaha, yeah I grabbed a bunch from a vendor/Dutch promoter not too long ago.

Also got a copy of The Hearts of Soul's "Sing A Simple Song". good stuff, thanks for the info!!

just read the bit about the tonearm, ha ha. I guess your dutch press is ok then

• yeah, we replaced it. honestly, i'm not sure it's the tonearm, that's the only tune it's fucked up on. but the other table plays it just fine.
    eh.

Was the Parrot label even used in the UK or just US? If not I guess that Flirtations 45 may have been on Deram in the UK first as well.

• wish i knew, i'm pretty clueless in the 7" department

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If it's on Deram, then the original issue is from the UK, as that's where the group was based from ca. 1967 onwards.

The US version was on Deram as well.