Best soul/funk DJ?

12346»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    just make sure frank raines pays you up front, g-----s!

i'm still waiting for my $400 from like a year and a half ago, on a night when brad wasn't there and frank must have pocketed $1,200+ in door money and didn't give me or shingaling a Frickin' penny.

lol

funk night is now at Alvins~?!?!

---

• what happened to the bohemian hunting lodge or whatever the Frickin' it's called?

what happened to the bohemian hunting lodge or whatever the Frickin' it's called?

the whole 'unlicensed after-hours party w/ 400 trashed people' thing didn't appeal to a segment of the bohouse ownership

it was also really cold in the big room

• what happened to the bohemian hunting lodge or whatever the Frickin' it's called?

the whole 'unlicensed after-hours party w/ 400 trashed people' thing didn't appeal to a segment of the bohouse ownership

it was also really cold in the big room

though always very warm and cozy in the "soul room!"

• well...i'm a good funk/soul dj!! come by minneapolis and look me up.
    Andy Noble and Brent Goodsell are solid (milwaukee)I'm waiting to experience Nesh!
    my dj partners in minneapolis Ron Wade and Greg Waletski are great!
    when i lived in Chicago, i liked dante, liked Courtland...the whole team is good...Ahret and Ben (the Rare Soul Millionaires) are doing good shit in Chicago on a more Northern Soul tip...
    Tobias Kirmayer in Munchen is solid
    Georges S. is a splendid dj and fellow!
    i've enjoyed brian Harris, brian Poust, tony Sanchez...list of folk

though always very warm and cozy in the "soul room!"

I thought so too

but with the new situation it looks like I'm out of work

• agree, that was one for the ages. still looking for a few choice morsels i heard that night.

im still after that "cabbage greens"...you still have that?

• ...and for me, the Lp vs. 45 thing is this...LPs in general are for the home stereo...they tend to be quieter and mostly set into "stereo" which in my opinion is hard to work with in a club setting...drums on one speaker, bass on the other can sound really goofy...still i have a few lps with cuts on them that are great dancin, so i'll bring those along sometimes...my heat does lie in my 45 boxes, so them me bring...45s were made for radio, for clubland, and are thusly mixed louder, and in general are mono...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I don't care for laptops or cds. Strictly 45s when I get out there for soul and funk nights. But if someone rolls up with their laptop or a bunch of comps then fuck it, that just means I gotta work that much harder when I play and I'm completely fine with that and take it as a welcomed challenge. If you can't keep up or throw down a better set than DJ Microwave then you should go home and reevaluate your record collection anyways.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I've seen at least 3 of those DJ's kill a club dancefloor dead.

was that september 12, 2001, in plymouth, england? definitely wasn't at my best that night!

Not at all, Matt!!

You've done nothing but impress, every time I've seen or heard you play.

• hope to make it out to l.a. to hear you at one of your do's soon, belson!