Best soul/funk DJ?

Comments

• Thanks Ferrari, I'll be updating in the next few weeks.

http://web.mac.com/pentoca/Site_3/Podcast/Podcast.html

• This comes up every once in a while and I still don't understand why some of you don't think it's even possible to have BOTH dope selection and skills. Why do these 2 aspects of DJing have to be mutually exclusive?

Agreed. I guess it also depends on why you are playing them....IE: DJing a dance party where mixing is important in my opinion VS DJing as a guest at a radiostation and playing oddball tunes for people to hear where selection and maybe flow of the show are important while mixing (matches, drops etc.) from one to the other isn't the focus.

I agree with most of the people you all have named so far, though I haven't seen many of them spin live. Gotta travel more!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dear god. That just isn't fair.

• on everyone mentioned.

I'd Like To Add:
    Brian Poust
    Chad from Memphix
    Meaty
    Pickwick
    Jeff Mao

Monkey sorry you weren't impressed with my set, I'll try to play better records in the future.

Nah, dude, I didn't mean it like that... your rep precedes you as one of the finest. That's why I was really looking forward to hearing some crazy gutbucket shit on that set, only to realize your set was more on the soulful side of thangs. Shit, I'm no one to talk... no one's mentioned me on here at all.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't even like hearing songs pitched up.

Don't blame you, it's like cheating.

I'm not saying I've NEVER done that myself, but I've seen others do it and it sounds like a Chipmunks northern soul record played at 78 RPM.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I've seen others do it and it sounds like a Chipmunks northern soul record played at 78 RPM.

the couple times I've been to Sheer Magic it looked like they had the pitch control welded at +8

• Hell yeah to Scott Craig, dosent hurt that he's a good dude either.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Hell yeah to Scott Craig, dosent hurt that he's a good dude either.

Nice to see props for Scott - so if I started a funk gig with him, would LA heads bother to come out then?

• what about kenny dope?

• what about kenny dope?

I would certainly include him.

Nice to see props for Scott - so if I started a funk gig with him, would LA heads bother to come out then?

I'll only come out if the handstamps at the gig are the same ones he used to stamp the 45 sleeves with (or cryptically laid across all esoteric digging spots in the midwest)

• im talking about playing live... rocking a crowd. even rocking people who arnt massive soul heads?

• im talking about playing live... rocking a crowd. even rocking people who arnt massive soul heads?
    are you looking to hire one or are you just posing the question?

• what about kenny dope?

ive never had a chance to see him live, just heard mixes and read things.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Troy Hurt

• Troy Hurt

Definitely Troy

Some more favs of mine:
    Marty Violence
    Dave Griffiths
    Jason Perlmutter (one of these days I'll make it down there J)
    DJ Pari
    Lunch Money

this list could go on and on

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    He's not a "strict" funk/soul DJ, but I danced my ass off when I heard Miles Cleret play. African heat for days, as it were.

Jazzman Gerald is coming to Stockholm in a while and I'm really curious about him. Obviously, he's DEEP into his stuff judging by the stuff he reissues, but it'll be interesting seeing him in a club. Hopefully he'll drop one ethiopian acetate library loner funk banger after another.

are you looking to hire one or are you just posing the question?

looking to learn !

Troy Hurt

Definitely Troy

I understand he also has a retarded secret psych collection.

Sorry I missed you the other night. When we got there, they would not let any more people in. Waited for a while and it was not looking good so we bounced. You coming back soon?

SWEET LORD JESUS GOD YES.

that curve

one more time...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I like guys who play lowrider ballads on weeknights.

• Troy Hurt

Definitely Troy

I understand he also has a retarded secret psych collection.

Sorry I missed you the other night. When we got there, they would not let any more people in. Waited for a while and it was not looking good so we bounced. You coming back soon?

I hope to roll back though sometime this spring. I'll certainly let you know man, sorry you couldn't make it in. It was pretty wild!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    what about kenny dope?

Kenny Dope left me thoroughly unimpressed the one time I've heard him play. Maybe he had a bad night, I don't know, but I wouldn't pay to hear him play again.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ca$h Money
    Muro
    Spinna
    J. Rocc
    Kenny Dope

Oh definitely...

Scott came to check me out one night I played in Sta Monica. So of course I'd gladly return the favor. He's real good people. Uncommonly nice dude. Hommie even tracked down the joint that was at the top of my wants list and didn't gouge me on the price. Plus, he KNOWS bout them rekkids. Chilled with him several times when he lived in Detroit, we blazed some herb and he played joint after crazy funk joint. Made me feel like I owned no records at all. In short....

• SOUL DJ: BRAD HALES

his northern/crossover/modern steez is unfukwittable these days, imho...

• Kevin Beacham aka DJ Nikoless (Rhymesayers)
    Chemist and Shadow (obviously)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    SOUL DJ: BRAD HALES

His blog is pretty amazing as well, tons of records that basically don't exist:

http://bradhales.podomatic.com/

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    SOUL DJ: BRAD HALES

His blog is pretty amazing as well, tons of records that basically don't exist:

http://bradhales.podomatic.com/

Can't cosign this enough. Brad's DJ box would shred a lot of seasoned Northern collectors. Also one of the kindest, most good-natured dudes I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He's a considerate roommate too!

Also, I can't pass up the opportunity to point out that our very own SoulHawk has a mean, mean soul collection. Dude has put me up on countless records, and hooked me up with tons of heat. If only he weren't so predisposed to reclusive collectro moves....

• Cosign on Muro

Dev Large is also another beast from Japan