South Carolina

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Work has brought me to Columbia, South Carolina and I was wondering if any Strutters know if there's any recordshops here in town?Also, I know I should try to get some soulfood down here and maybe head to Charleston as well. Anything else I should try to squeeze in a tight program?Thanks in advance,Dress

Comments

• WARNING SOUTH CAROLINA:

DO NOT SHOW THIS MAN ANY TYPE OF KINDNESS! HE'S A WOLF IN A GERMANS/POLISH/NOVA SCOTIAN'S/WHEREVER HE'S FROM CLOTHING.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Cola sucks. Go to Charleston.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Work has brought me to Columbia, South Carolina and I was wondering if any Strutters know if there's any recordshops here in town?

Also, I know I should try to get some soulfood down here and maybe head to Charleston as well. Anything else I should try to squeeze in a tight program?

Thanks in advance,

Dress
    Hey Dress. I left Columbia a few months ago and the only record shop worth mentioning is Papa Jazz in Five Points, right near the University of South Carolina.

The shop is pretty mediocre for records but you may come across some cool cd's.
    If I were you, I would bypass records altogether and do the following:
    -Holleur at those college girls at Five Points
    -Go to a skrip club
    -Find a barbeque spot (shouldn't be that hard to find)

Also, hit up SouthCrackalack, soulstrut's SC rep.

When you coming back up NYC?

-Mike

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Cola sucks. Go to Charleston.
    Best advice in this thread.

Before I forget, Charlotte, NC is about an hour north of Columbia, so you may want to check that out.

• Hey Mike,

Thanks for advice. I dont think I will have time to go through that top-3 except for number 3 on the list.

I hope we have time to go to Charleston though. I probably wont be back until sunday or monday or something. I was supposed to go to Florida after this as well but that got cancelled.

Also is southern food and soul food the same thing? The white stewardess on the plane recommnended us to try some southern food while the black dude we talked to while checking in at the hotel was talking about soulfood? Same thing or not?

BTW dont listen to Young Phonics unless its something about Too Short. Phonics is young!

Thanks,

Dress

• columbia has a couple nice flea markets if you are going to be there on saturday

get there early.
    i remember finding david axelrod records and a nice salad bowl

• when i went, pap jazz was shitty. i didnt buy a single thing. but it was a nice looking shop with nice bumper stickers

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    papa jazz =

columbia =

south carolina records =

i say take up mike bell on suggestions 1 or 2 and then deal w/ 3 after.

with that said i should be passing through columbia around 7PM tomorrow night. But i won't be stopping.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i worked at papa jazz for 5 years in the early 90s. motherfucking swimming in records! then the store got flipped some years later and new people ran off the buyers, turned away collections and hauled the mountains of dupes off to some storage for ebay. it's been over since then.

as far as diggin in thrifts and fleas etc. people don't/didn't have that much discretionary money down south. So when they did buy records, they kept the shit till they died. You have to work leads forever or just get lucky at an estate sale. Ain't no passing through bullshit.

But you might get lucky at the fleas in Cola. Fort Jackson nearby = always some turnover.

Soul Food tends to be a term associated with black folks and is used more in the North and Midwest. But really Southern and Soul Food are the same.

You can stop at any non-chain greasy spoon down south and get soul/southern food. You just need to know what to order.

Be brave and holler at some chitlins or pig's feat. They might even give you magic record finding powers.

• I actually already tried pig's feet but it was at a Harlem spot recommended by the good Finewine. The chef is from the South so I guess it was made the southern way but I cant say its my new favorite dish.

Maybe I should try the chitlins next time.

People are extremely friendly and polite down here compared to the New York attitude Im more or less used to by now.

Peace,

Dress

• Dress, I hit you back on the PM tip.

(and as mentioned above..go kick it at 5 points afterhours for the college girls if thats your thing..but be prepared for dickhead fratboy central)

Notice any Sour or Klever tags/bombs/etc around town?

• I just saw a Viet Vet walking by with a dogleash and no dog. However, the leash had some electric device making sure it made some movements plus it even made dog sounds.

Anybody knows what Im talking about?

I thought I was on candid camera for a second. This guy was even talking to his imaginary dog.

Peace,

Dress

• I just saw a Viet Vet walking by with a dogleash and no dog. However, the leash had some electric device making sure it made some movements plus it even made dog sounds.

Anybody knows what Im talking about?

I thought I was on candid camera for a second. This guy was even talking to his imaginary dog.

Peace,

Dress

You don't have/see this in other states?