is the BEATNUTS any good?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
they are one of my favorite groups since the first e.p. i really like there nonsense music style. does anyone else like em? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Absolutely positiviely, No Escaping This (with that enoch light vibe going on) and Watch Out Now (with that other enoch light hook that J-Lo stole) was what got me started, but all their sampling and stuff is off the hook. They definitely dig deep.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'm one of the resident Beatnuts cheerleaders in'nyah. Each new record I'm feeling. Anyone peeped Psycho Les' new mix yet?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    When i first heard 'sandwiches' i nearly lost it. That track is off the hook.
    I got that whitelabel 12" of it but I never found the actual promo 12" of this. Does anyone know if it exists?

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Anybody got the remix mp3 of Hellraiser. Been wanting to hear that one for a good while. Heard the beat is the last couple seconds of the OG.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    When i first heard 'sandwiches' i nearly lost it. That track is off the hook.

"I make bitches make me sandwiches and scratch my ass when it itches"

• One of my favorite groups of all time.

S/N-My mom used to have MAD Los Angeles Negros records and she used to play the hell out of them and I never heard the song they sampled for "Do You Believe," so you know dem foo's dig deep.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    can we get some love for WORK THAT POLE with Tony Toca?!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    beatnuts beats=that hot shit

beatnuts rhymes=

sometimes psycho les just doesnt do it for me, and that says a lot because i hardly ever listen to what rappers are saying.

so, overall, beatnuts get a thumbs up.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Beatnuts=Madness

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

beatnuts rhymes=

exactly.

• SocratesSocrates 137 Posts

couldn't even stand the reign of the

Socco

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Wow, is that what WinAmp looks like? That's a really ugly interface...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Wow, is that what WinAmp looks like? That's a really ugly interface...

yeah well, thats why I tend to LISTEN to winamp in stead of looking at it...

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts

this press release actually has real BULLET holes in it

• daggzdaggz 10 Posts

beatnuts rhymes=

exactly.

THAT'S WHAT'S DOPE ABOUT THEM, THEY KNOW THEY DONT HAVE THE ILLEST FLOWS, BUT THE DIGS AND THE FLIPPAGE AND THE DRUMS. MAN THE NUTS ARE ONE OF MY TOP 5

THEY ARE THE PRODUCERS RAPPERS, JUST HEARING THEM TALK ABOUT DIGGIN, AND SAMPLES,A ND DRUMS AND EQING AND NOT REALLY HAVING MUCH ELSE TO SAY IS ENOUGH FOR ME

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I GOT BITCHES TO MAKE SANDWHICHES AND SCRATCH MY ASS WHEN IT ITCHES.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah i hear yall. that why i was saying they're

i mean, they arent the worst emcees in the world by any means, but compared to jayz, nas, biggie, etc. they aint really cuttin it.

they definitely have some quotables, and i do appreciate them talking about digging and making beats.

but you know, they're still kinda on the vox.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

beatnuts rhymes=

exactly.

THAT'S WHAT'S DOPE ABOUT THEM, THEY KNOW THEY DONT HAVE THE ILLEST FLOWS, BUT THE DIGS AND THE FLIPPAGE AND THE DRUMS. MAN THE NUTS ARE ONE OF MY TOP 5

THEY ARE THE PRODUCERS RAPPERS, JUST HEARING THEM TALK ABOUT DIGGIN, AND SAMPLES,A ND DRUMS AND EQING AND NOT REALLY HAVING MUCH ELSE TO SAY IS ENOUGH FOR ME

I agree. We need more peoples like the beatnuts in hip-hop.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

when i pop the trunk, hit the deck.....

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "Da dump, da dat da daa da!"

Has anoyone else ever rapped thier sample?

This guys have really harsh lyrics, but they are funny and make great beats.

• One of my favorite Juju quotes:

"I like my girl nice and sleazy with a gun tattoo on her ass that says 'squeeze me'"

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    i thought beatnuts would be getting some serious ss bashing up in here.

maybe heads are keeping quiet.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    i thought beatnuts would be getting some serious ss bashing up in here.

maybe heads are keeping quiet.

They make thier own beats and do nothing but talk about beats, girls and getting fucked up. Sounds like everyday on Soulstrut!!!!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

beatnuts rhymes=

True, they aren't called the Lyricnuts for a reason. But they do at least know how to flow to a track, which is more than you can say for a lot of rappers these days, and Psycho Les is fucking hilarious.

So yeah, The Beatnuts are fucking great. Or at least I should say they were great. There's definitely been a diminishing returns thing going on with each album of theirs.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The Beatnuts are fucking great. Or at least I should say they were great.

Cosign. The Beatnuts have been slowly falling off for at least 3 albums. The EP and subsequent album were classics (a word I do not employ often), and then they had some serious bangers on otherwise OK albums, but they have put out some seriously long, extremely crappy albums over the last couple of years, many of which have not even had a single real banger.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

What troubles the beatnuts is the same thing that plagues so much rap music - lackluster rhymes. beatnuts (and you can throw blacksheep into that group too) make great music, but their lyrics acutally DETRACT from the beats. rarely do i want to sit and listen to an album from the nuts cuz those lyrics are just oo wack. compare that to cl smooth or guru, who complement, but don't enhance, their respective producers' music... or compare it to the biggie, rakim, etc who do.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    as much as people jock them, they're still underrated... their early production stuff for Kurious, Pete Nice, etc is ILL... they got SCREWED by J-Lo, didn't get a penny off that... yeah, it's a sample of Enoch Light playing Herbie Mann, but they def. cut it up and arranged it in a different way (the OG is fast disco, they rocked it half time) and she stole their arrangement... very lame she wouldn't just toss them a few points... i had the pleasure of seeing Les spin out a few months back and he warmed up with some dope funk 45's that the thugs didn't care about... then he played "watch out now" and "off the books" and still no one noticed... shit is wack... a room full of wannabe industry cats and i only saw one dude hit Les with a tape...

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    many of which have not even had a single real banger.
    Sorry, but I just can't agree there. Their albums aren't as consistent as they used to be, but I would go so far as to say every album has at LEAST two bangers.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Stein,

I absolutely LOVE The Beatnuts, from the first EP to the present-day. I find their albums very entertaining and well-done. Psycho Les cracks me up with the tripped out shit he raps about, but quiet as kept, Junkyard Ju Ju is an underrated MC in my opinions (check "No Escapin' This" and "Straight Jacket" as examples). The 'Nuts definitely gets love from the Big Stacks, and their crate exploits are incredible!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    favorite group ever